Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of talk on Twitter today about Disney+’s censorship of “Splash,” a personal favorite of mine. A few articles have been written about it too, and how odd that this movie was censored for content but other, more unsettling content in other movies has been left as-is

https://collider.com/splash-disney-plus-edited/
I find this annoying also. I believe this was the first movie Disney made under the Touchstone name. The reason they used they came up with Touchstone was so they could try things other than standard G-rated kiddie movies and not tarnish the Disney brand. You can kill as many people as you want in movies but god forbid they is even a glimpse or suggestion of nudity.

Who here remembers when the mermaids on Peter Pan's Flight were not covered up?

I find this annoying also. I believe this was the first movie Disney made under the Touchstone name. The reason they used they came up with Touchstone was so they could try things other than standard G-rated kiddie movies and not tarnish the Disney brand. You can kill as many people as you want in movies but god forbid they is even a glimpse or suggestion of nudity.

Who here remembers when the mermaids on Peter Pan's Flight were not covered up?

yes, Touchstone was specifically formed for Splash to be distributed under a name other than Disney.

what’s also very annoying is people have pointed out there is comparable male nudity present on Disney+ ( in a Marvel movie and several Simpsons episodes, plus I think a few other instances ), so there’s seemingly a level of sexism involved as well. in the grand scheme of things its a small thing to get annoyed about, but it does just reinforce my skepticism of Disney+ and their ability to form an identity. If they want to be a family friendly platform, that’s fine, but there’s a lot more movies than this fluffy rom-com they’d have to censor or get rid of first.

yes, Touchstone was specifically formed for Splash to be distributed under a name other than Disney.

what’s also very annoying is people have pointed out there is comparable male nudity present on Disney+ ( in a Marvel movie and several Simpsons episodes, plus I think a few other instances ), so there’s seemingly a level of sexism involved as well. in the grand scheme of things its a small thing to get annoyed about, but it does just reinforce my skepticism of Disney+ and their ability to form an identity. If they want to be a family friendly platform, that’s fine, but there’s a lot more movies than this fluffy rom-com they’d have to censor or get rid of first.

plus how no issue with how much blood and death are in Marvel or Star Wars films but this is no good?

So like Thanos wiping out 1/2 the population = family friendly but a brief glance of a bare bum will ruin kids?

plus how no issue with how much blood and death are in Marvel or Star Wars films but this is no good?

So like Thanos wiping out 1/2 the population = family friendly but a brief glance of a bare bum will ruin kids?

Exactly. Decapitation, mass-genocide, Darth Maul getting literally split in half, all totally fine and family friendly. Daryl Hannah walking around like Lady Godiva for what amounts to not even one minute of footage, ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is just one of those things that I'm surprised is still an issue in 2020, especially because they're such minor instances that Disney clearly tried very hard to poorly cover up.

Exactly. Decapitation, mass-genocide, Darth Maul getting literally split in half, all totally fine and family friendly. Daryl Hannah walking around like Lady Godiva for what amounts to not even one minute of footage, ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is just one of those things that I'm surprised is still an issue in 2020, especially because they're such minor instances that Disney clearly tried very hard to poorly cover up.

just something instilled in American culture that any sort of nudity is just wrong. I wouldn't be surprised to find out Disney edited it due getting complaints from people (or at least fear of complaints based on past experiences)

just something instilled in American culture that any sort of nudity is just wrong. I wouldn't be surprised to find out Disney edited it due getting complaints from people (or at least fear of complaints based on past experiences)

It would have to be fear of complaints - Splash wasn't available until February, and these changes were already included. Unless they got complaints about Hulk's nudity in Thor

The U.S. is more focused on sexual content which would include nudity and less on violence. It's been that way for a long while.

I'd rather Disney have the option to show original or edited version--like how DVDs/Blu-rays came/come with the edited and unedited versions if you want to buy that.

The U.S. is more focused on sexual content which would include nudity and less on violence. It's been that way for a long while.

I'd rather Disney have the option to show original or edited version--like how DVDs/Blu-rays came/come with the edited and unedited versions if you want to buy that.

and even have parental controls or something if you want to original version - like Amazon Prime makes us put in a code for each episode of Carnival Row we watch

and if they don't want to go that route then just shift anything to Hulu you would *need* to edit

and even have parental controls or something if you want to original version - like Amazon Prime makes us put in a code for each episode of Carnival Row we watch

and if they don't want to go that route then just shift anything to Hulu you would *need* to edit
Ohh that's smart with Amazon Prime..didn't know that they do that (we don't have the need for Parental Controls ourselves so I'm out of date on how that's been handled these days).

I agree about Hulu and I think if you gave people the option of something edited down or not they would at least like the choice; it appeases most everyone at that point especially with Hulu at the moment where people are able to get it free through various way (Spotify, Sprint, etc) or with a bundle Disney introduced.

It's rather bizarre because there are a lot of lot less "family-friendly" things in the movie than a bare bottom.

Anyone else annoyed by the lack of plot in season 7 of CW? If there was going to be a full season I’d be fine with it, but with only 12 episodes I feel like almost all of it could’ve been cut out as they really don’t bridge the gap much between CW and Ep III. I got annoyed that
the Bad Batch troopers took so much screen time away from clones we already know, plus they just got annoying after two episodes, and that so much time was spent on Ahsoka and the sisters with so little happening. A whole episode to not escape from jail? I’d rather have seen character development from Ahsoka. Plus wekve hardly seen Anakin and Obi-Wan, two of the three main characters!
It probably doesn’t help that I bingewatched season 6 over two days and started season 7 the next day...season 6 really moves things forward. Maybe bingewatching season 7 was a bad idea too...but I was really excited for more CW episodes and kept thinking they’d get better. :) Now I need something else to watch after work though! It took me three months to get through all the episodes. I’m hopeful for the last four. Seems like that’ll probably be a four episode arc as well, and an important one finally. They really should just finish up everything that was planned for CW when Disney bought Lucasfilm...

I have really liked the Clone Wars arcs, but I do understand that with the limited number of episodes how it could be frustrating. I try not to hold that against them - they are good arcs and I don't think anybody would be complaining if they were part of a full season or we didn't have a definite ending. I'd have liked to have seen all of the incomplete arcs done, but it is what it is. I don't hold it against them and I really like Clone Force 99 and Trace (not Rafa) so I'm all good.

Star Wars: Resistance was kind of like this. Season 2 wasn't bad at all - If we were getting season 3 and beyond. As it stands, it wasn't a very satisfying wrap-up - though I don't think they knew they would get the plug pulled (Clone Wars does). I still try to enjoy it for what it is though.

Just curious if anyone else is disappointed that Bicentennial Man is not available to watch? I know it was a bomb in the movies but it is one of my favorite Robin Williams films.

Just curious if anyone else is disappointed that Bicentennial Man is not available to watch? I know it was a bomb in the movies but it is one of my favorite Robin Williams films.

its on hbo. Don’t know how long they have the rights to it.

its on hbo. Don’t know how long they have the rights to it.
Thanks. I saw that when I did a google search. I just notice that some movies like Tomorrow Land and Maleficent show, but give you the explanation that they can't add it until the rights are released. BTM doesn't eve have that... I can hope they get the rights back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter