Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Surprised Magical Express wasn't mentioned. I was talking to my friend a few days ago who said that her parents canceled their plans to do a WDW trip with her kid siblings due to a lot of the changes such as removal of Magical Express, no merchandise delivery, Genie+, etc. They're doing a trip to a resort in Cancun now.

Totally agree about the Dream Lights though. The projections are 100% a downgrade.

Surprised Magical Express wasn't mentioned. I was talking to my friend a few days ago who said that her parents canceled their plans to do a WDW trip with her kid siblings due to a lot of the changes such as removal of Magical Express, merchandise delivery, Genie+, etc. They're doing a trip to a resort in Cancun now.

Totally agree about the Dream Lights though. The projections are 100% a downgrade.
And Resort Airline check-in! I miss that so much!

Surprised Magical Express wasn't mentioned. I was talking to my friend a few days ago who said that her parents canceled their plans to do a WDW trip with her kid siblings due to a lot of the changes such as removal of Magical Express, no merchandise delivery, Genie+, etc. They're doing a trip to a resort in Cancun now.

Just wanted to say that Tom made mention of Magical Express as one of the "big-big" things he wasn't going to address in the article. This was more about the under-the-radar things.

For those of you who haven't checked out his blog, I'd highly recommend it. I go there at least a couple times a day. It's an excellent site and so much better than the click-bait stuff that's rampant over social media.

Just wanted to say that Tom made mention of Magical Express as one of the "big-big" things he wasn't going to address in the article. This was more about the under-the-radar things.

For those of you who haven't checked out his blog, I'd highly recommend it. I go there at least a couple times a day. It's an excellent site and so much better than the click-bait stuff that's rampant over social media.
I saw that tidbit on the Tweet that posted this article too - I must've glossed over that. I do agree with all of the under the radar ones listed. Based on the comments on the tweet, Magical Express was the #1 thing people miss the most. Even more than free Fastpass which surprised me.

I saw that tidbit on the Tweet that posted this article too - I must've glossed over that. I do agree with all of the under the radar ones listed. Based on the comments on the tweet, Magical Express was the #1 thing people miss the most. Even more than free Fastpass which surprised me.
Magical Express was the thing that impressed me the most on my first trip to WDW in 2016. I had 2 toddlers with me and the fact that we didn't have to wait for bags after a long flight and just get them straight on a bus was amazing! It really helped everyone get into "vacation mode" and destress after travel.

I went home and told everyone how amazing that was...

Just an astonishingly short-sighted decision on Disney's part to get rid of ME. Its import to guests must have surprised them, too.

Yes, he makes well reasoned arguments for most everything. I think he has a very balanced perspective on most issues and isn’t just a “things used to better and now they suck” type. But really though, the food at MK…terrible and busy.

I believe a Disney executive actually made this comment, that they were shocked by the blowback of removal of Magical Express. I could’ve told them that without the seven figure paycheck.
That reminds me of how, according to insiders, Disney was legitimately surprised at the MASSIVE backlash towards the Incredibles retheme of the rooms at the Contemporary. That official press release was absolutely obliterated with hate but then that was overshadowed by the announcement of Genie+.

We generally fly in and out of Tampa and rent a car, so ME isn’t missed by us nearly as much as Resort Package Delivery. I buy a minuscule fraction of the stuff I used to, because I’m not willing to lug it around all day and I end up second-guessing most of my purchases by the end of the day or we never end up making it back to that store. I can’t see how Disney isn’t losing a ton of money on merch, everything I’ve seen suggests the majority of at least repeat visitors are doing the same. Maybe the once-and-only-trip visitors are still spending enough to make up for the rest of us?

From my understanding the removal of Magical Express was partially to do with Mears and the blame isn't 100% on Disney, but regardless it wasn't a good decision.

Yes, but they could have then implemented their own service without Mears.

Honestly, what I miss the most is airport check in at the resort in advance of leaving for home. It was a huge time saver, now I have to wait in two often REALLY long lines at MCO, where before I only had to wait in one.

Additional Theming Added to Mystery Kiosk at HS
While visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios today, we noticed that even more theming has been added to the yet-unnamed Grand Avenue kiosk that has been under construction for nearly 8 months. The kiosk is believed to be a Coca-Cola stand of some sort, but Disney has not officially announced the project – let alone confirmed any details.

In our last update on the project, we saw the first bit of verbiage added to the side of the building. While all of the other buildings along Grand Avenue are (non-functional) shops that actually function as the exterior and theming would suggest, it’s unlikely that the new kiosk will be selling “Ice Cold Hydraulics” as the exterior would suggest.

From the front of the building, we can see that a building address was recently added: 725 Grand Avenue.

Other building addresses along Grand Avenue include:
  • 722 Grand Avenue | Angeleno Alterations
  • 726 Grand Avenue | Spring Flower Market
  • 728 Grand Avenue | Grand Lofts apartments

In addition to the building address, small awnings, and pick-up window numbers are also visible.

UPDATE: After we originally published this article, crews began installing even more theming. It looks like the “Ice Cold Hydraulics” verbiage will be present on the front of the kiosk too.

There is no known opening date for the kiosk, but we imagine Disney would want it open in time for Spring Break crowds next month.

Yes, but they could have then implemented their own service without Mears.

Honestly, what I miss the most is airport check in at the resort in advance of leaving for home. It was a huge time saver, now I have to wait in two often REALLY long lines at MCO, where before I only had to wait in one.
My friend almost missed her flight home flying out of MCO once due to how long the line to check a bag was. She flew Frontier but I've seen it be like that for other airlines too. I do carry on only to/from MCO because of it.

Themed Flower Beds & Butterfly Installation arrive at Epcot

Starting February 28th, work is underway for the 2024 EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival! While visiting EPCOT this morning, we noticed that the Disney horticulture team has installed the Eastern World Celebration flowerbed after a couple of days of prep work. We’ll start this article there, and then make our way over to the butterfly house near the Imagination Pavilion.

Over on the west side of the bridge connecting World Celebration and World Showcase, there is still grass in place, but we expect that to change over the rest of the week.

Returning this year, guests will be able to walk through a magical butterfly house. Work on the butterfly house is underway between the Imagination Pavilion and The Land Pavilion. Here’s a look!

Just an astonishingly short-sighted decision on Disney's part to get rid of ME. Its import to guests must have surprised them, too.
I thought I recall hearing that the demise of ME began with the baggage handling company (Bags Inc?) that suspended it's service after COVID for some time. When ME did operate post-covid, bag service was not included. While I'd argue that ME "light" is better than no ME, it was a shell of the "magic" it once was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter