Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

I feel the same way. If I want cake, I'm going to Gideon's and the food offerings aren't my style. I just hope whatever goes into Big River gets up and running faster than Cake Bake.
Don’t hold your breath on this one. A previous PP listed the restaurants in the Boardwalk area. It was a pretty long list. My guess is that they will try to drive business to these locations before they get excited about opening something new.

Gideon's Celebrates Third Anniversary With Special Treat

1705770337771.png

As Gideon’s Bakehouse marks its third anniversary at Disney Springs, the renowned bakery is delighting guests with a special treat and exclusive offerings available for one day only.

The celebration brings back a fan-favorite dessert from 2023 – the Peanut Butter Apple Galette. This exquisite creation features a divine blend of Gideon’s outstanding Peanut Butter Sauce, Fresh Cut Apples encased in a Buttery Housemade Pastry, and topped with delectable Peanut Butter Crumbs. To enhance the experience, the bakery recommends pairing it with the refreshing PB Nitro Cold Brew, available at both Gideon’s locations in Disney Springs.

This limited-time treat is in high demand, as handmade pastries have a quick sell-out rate, with a limit of two per person.

Roy O Disney Locomotive Leaves for Refurb

The Roy O. Disney #4 locomotive is off to Pennsylvania where it will undergo a multi-year refurbishment in Strasburg Railroad. The locomotive left Walt Disney World property recently, and will likely be gone for a few years as it undergoes an extensive refurbishment. The Roy O. Disney is the last of the four Walt Disney World locomotives to undergo an extensive refurbishment.

It is unclear exactly what is being done to the locomotive during the refurbishment, or the planned return to service date.

Disneyland Scales Back Early Entry Starting Today

Starting today, January 20th, the Disneyland Resort has scaled back its Early Entry perk for hotel guests. Previously available at both parks, every day of the week, the Disneyland Resort will now only offer one of its theme parks per day for Early Entry. Here’s the remainder from Disneyland:

Beginning Jan. 20, 2024, the Early Entry benefit will be updated to allow guests staying at one of the Disneyland Resort hotels to take advantage of 30-minute early entry into a designated theme park for every day of their hotel stay. Each day, either Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park will be open early. Please check the theme park calendar for the schedule.

AD
The Early Entry benefit allows guests to enjoy select attractions, dining, and shopping locations. Valid theme park admission and a park reservation for the same park on the same date is also required for guests ages 3+. Park reservations are limited, subject to availability, and not guaranteed.

Before heading to the parks, guests should link theme park tickets or passes, theme park reservations and hotel reservations to the Disneyland app to show verification of these requirements. Tickets and passes can be viewed by selecting “Tickets and Passes” and hotel dates of stay can be viewed by selecting “My Hotel Reservation” in the Disneyland app.

Roy O Disney Locomotive Leaves for Refurb

The Roy O. Disney #4 locomotive is off to Pennsylvania where it will undergo a multi-year refurbishment in Strasburg Railroad. The locomotive left Walt Disney World property recently, and will likely be gone for a few years as it undergoes an extensive refurbishment. The Roy O. Disney is the last of the four Walt Disney World locomotives to undergo an extensive refurbishment.

It is unclear exactly what is being done to the locomotive during the refurbishment, or the planned return to service date.
When I was in elemenatry school we took a field trip to The Strasburg RailRoad.
So that's nice to hear that the Roy O won't too far from where I'm sitting

Our youngest is a huge fan of steam engines so we've visited the Strasburg Railroad many times. He's even taken a shop tour. They do great work there so Roy O is in very good hands. We're planning to stop by Lancaster, PA on our road trip this spring, maybe we'll check in on the engine while we're there.

We live near Latrobe in SW PA and used to take a long weekend every fall to Bird In Hand. We always spent a day in Strassburg touring all the train museums. Ahh - so many fond memories. When our son got older and joined marching band that put an end to our fall weekend trips. This makes me want to go back. It's such a cool place to visit - and not just for the trains :).

On a side note, we heard about the tragedy at Bird In Hand Inn a few weeks ago. That's the hotel where we always stayed - so sad that someone lost their life.

I found this Disney Parks Blog from the start of January that I don't think was posted here but is interesting to see what Disney's highlights for 2024 are. I'll give the list and you can click on the article for more info:
24 Oooh-Worthy Things at Disney Experiences in 2024:
  1. Tiana's Bayou Adventure at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World
  2. New Star Tours Attraction Characters, Stories
  3. Pixar Fest at Disneyland Resort
  4. Pixar-Themed Hotel at Disneyland Resort
  5. "Fantasmic!" returns to Disneyland Park
  6. CommuniCore Plaza, CommuniCore Hall at EPCOT
  7. Reimagined "The Little Mermaid" Show at Disney's Hollywood Studios
  8. All-Day Park Hopping, Dining Plan at Disney World
  9. Country Bear Jamboree at Walt Disney World
  10. Cake Bake Shop at Disney's Boardwalk
  11. runDisney Returns to Disneyland Resort, Plus a New Halloween-themed Event
  12. Fantasy Springs at Tokyo DisneySea
  13. Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris
  14. Disney Treasure – Disney Cruise Line
  15. Disney Lookout Cay in The Bahamas
  16. Pixar Day at Sea & Marvel Day at Sea with Disney Cruise Line
  17. The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
  18. New Disney Vacation Member Lounge at Walt Disney World
  19. Adventures by Disney in Colombia
  20. Storyliving By Disney in California
  21. New Disney Eats and Stitch Attacks Snack Collections
  22. Explore an Open-World Star Wars Game
  23. D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event
  24. New Disney Global Ambassadors Step Into Roles

I found this Disney Parks Blog from the start of January that I don't think was posted here but is interesting to see what Disney's highlights for 2024 are. I'll give the list and you can click on the article for more info:
  1. Tiana's Bayou Adventure at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World - Not new, just a retheme.
  2. New Star Tours Attraction Characters, Stories - Not new, just more theming.
  3. Pixar Fest at Disneyland Resort - The parade is new. The night show is retheme. Maybe some new character meets.
  4. Pixar-Themed Hotel at Disneyland Resort - Retheme
  5. "Fantasmic!" returns to Disneyland Park - Not new, just a return to the "before."
  6. CommuniCore Plaza, CommuniCore Hall at EPCOT - Just a new building.
  7. Reimagined "The Little Mermaid" Show at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Not new, just a makeover.
  8. All-Day Park Hopping, Dining Plan at Disney World - Not new, just a return to the "before."
  9. Country Bear Jamboree at Walt Disney World - Not new, just a retheme
  10. Cake Bake Shop at Disney's Boardwalk - I'm not their demo here so no opinion.
  11. runDisney Returns to Disneyland Resort, Plus a New Halloween-themed Event Mostly NOT new.
  12. Fantasy Springs at Tokyo DisneySea - Something actually NEW.
  13. Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris - Not new, just a makeover and a return to the "before."
  14. Disney Treasure – Disney Cruise Line - Something actually NEW.
  15. Disney Lookout Cay in The Bahamas - Something actually NEW.
  16. Pixar Day at Sea & Marvel Day at Sea with Disney Cruise Line - I don't think this is new.
  17. The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort - Not new, just a retheme.
  18. New Disney Vacation Member Lounge at Walt Disney World I'm not their demo here so no opinion.
  19. Adventures by Disney in Colombia I'm not their demo here, so no opinion.
  20. Storyliving By Disney in California I'm not their demo here,so no opinion.
  21. New Disney Eats and Stitch Attacks Snack Collections I'm not their demo here, so no opinion.
  22. Explore an Open-World Star Wars Game DH is on board and excited.
  23. D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event This is an every year event.
  24. New Disney Global Ambassadors Step Into Roles - I don't even have a clue, so no opinion.

Out of 24 items, I felt that 6 didn't apply to me at all.

Out of the 18 left, we have 3 things that are actually NEW, 2 things that have some portion of it NEW, and the rest is either a return to the "before" or a retheme.

The highlights don't seem so awesome to me as they did before.

1. Tiana's Bayou Adventure at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World
  2. New Star Tours Attraction Characters, Stories
  3. Pixar Fest at Disneyland Resort
  4. Pixar-Themed Hotel at Disneyland Resort
  5. "Fantasmic!" returns to Disneyland Park
  6. CommuniCore Plaza, CommuniCore Hall at EPCOT
  7. Reimagined "The Little Mermaid" Show at Disney's Hollywood Studios
  8. All-Day Park Hopping, Dining Plan at Disney World
  9. Country Bear Jamboree at Walt Disney World
  10. Cake Bake Shop at Disney's Boardwalk
  11. runDisney Returns to Disneyland Resort, Plus a New Halloween-themed Event
  12. Fantasy Springs at Tokyo DisneySea
  13. Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris
  14. Disney Treasure – Disney Cruise Line
  15. Disney Lookout Cay in The Bahamas
  16. Pixar Day at Sea & Marvel Day at Sea with Disney Cruise Line
  17. The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
  18. New Disney Vacation Member Lounge at Walt Disney World
  19. Adventures by Disney in Colombia
  20. Storyliving By Disney in California
  21. New Disney Eats and Stitch Attacks Snack Collections
  22. Explore an Open-World Star Wars Game
  23. D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event
  24. New Disney Global Ambassadors Step Into Roles
Literally the only "ooh worthy" thing on this list is Fantasy Springs. Everything else is meh or shrug your shoulders worthy.

Imagine the possibilities if the US parks had OLC money and were willing to spend it.....
I don’t think OLC is being as extravagant as they once were though. At least that’s the impression I get from long time attendees of the parks. I wish the US parks had the same attention to detail when it comes to maintenance, operations, and cleanliness. I also wish the guests were more like Japanese guests.

I know people say TDR’s website is terrible. I haven’t found it to be worse than any other Disney-related site. In fact, I think TDR is way better about communicating processes. You would never see a list of dated updates with dates and times that things become available right on the home page. Plus, I am reading all of this translated into English, and it’s still more clear than WDW or DLR sites and info.

Last edited:
I don’t think OLC is being as extravagant as they once were though. At least that’s the impression I get from long time attendees of the parks. I wish the US parks had the same attention to detail when it comes to maintenance, operations, and cleanliness. I also wish the guests were more like Japanese guests.

I know people say TDR’s website is terrible. I haven’t found it to be worse than any other Disney-related site. In fact, I think TDR is way better about communicating processes. You would never see a list of dates updates with dates and times that things become available right on the home page. Plus, I am reading all of this translated into English, and it’s still more clear than WDW or DLR sites and info.
Agreed, I've seen on Twitter from locals that the entertainment has been scaled back drastically (sound familiar, US park fans?) Locals think USJ is doing a WAY better job these days. I didn't have plans to go there since my sister doesn't want to go. Meanwhile in the US.....the expansion for Woody's Lunchbox is still not done and that started like a year ago?

I've heard their English app is really terrible but honestly what piece of Disney tech is actually good? MDE is a disaster.

Agreed, I've seen on Twitter from locals that the entertainment has been scaled back drastically (sound familiar, US park fans?) Locals think USJ is doing a WAY better job these days. I didn't have plans to go there since my sister doesn't want to go. Meanwhile in the US.....the expansion for Woody's Lunchbox is still not done and that started like a year ago?

I've heard their English app is really terrible but honest what piece of Disney tech is actually good? MDE is a disaster.
I have used the app briefly at home, and it was much better than I thought it would be. I think a lot of improvements have gone into it since Covid.

We will be doing USJ. I am anxiously awaiting the Donky Kong Country announcement.

Are they still working on Woody’s? I don’t remember seeing any construction last month. I thought they had finished, but it will never be enough seating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter