Disney newbie! Got tips? Send 'em my way!

ScarletIndigo

Certified Sweetpea
Hi everyone!

I'm brandy-new to the DIS boards, so nice to meet you all! I just finished securing all the travel and ticketing needs for our upcoming late-September visit to WDW, and now I'm looking for some "insider tips" on what to do, what to see, where to eat, etc. during our wonderful getaway. We've visiting from 9/28 - 10/5 (during what we hope will be a slower and less humid season!) and aside from saving quite a bit of money thanks to tips from MouseSavers.com (and the new Fairytale Package, which was PERFECT for us), I'm wondering how to go about planning the "meat" of the trip.

What are your suggestions, O' Wise Disney Insiders? ;-) Should we plan the trip out day-to-day as far as where we'll visit, eat, etc. or should it be more spur-of-the-moment and spontaneous? Budget is important, and we're staying at the ASMu for our first time. I haven't visited WDW for ten years, so I'm dying to see all that's changed!

Before you ask, I've read everything on MouseSavers.com and I'm going to be exploring the "Tour Guide Mike" site soon, but does anyone have any personal recommendations/suggestions for a young couple visiting WDW for the first time together?

Thanks in advance, and take care.

Jessie

Hi Jessie, welcome to Disboard!

First off, you've already taken my two biggest tips to my newbie friends, all before I told them to you. First, there is no tour book, no travel agent, and no Disney-provided resource that can give you more advice than this eclectic group of Disney fanatics.

Check out all the forums here. There are folks here who don't know that there's a hotel outside the monorail loop and can tell you where to find the best of the best. And there are those here who can tell you how to spend a week at Disney for two for a grand. Most of us are in between, trying to have a Magical visit without losing the house.

My second tip for younger couples: Get thee to Orlando in September. Yeah, it rains most every day, but only for an hour. It's actually a relief. And it's still nice and warm. I like this. We went in late October a lot, and found it a bummer to be in Orlando and need a jacket.

In September, the prices are low, the crowds are light. The parks close a little earlier, but you get so much done with low lines that you get more done in less time, allowing you to see stuff outside the parks.

My suggestions: Get a touring book. I'd suggest a Passporter and The Unofficial Guide to Disney. Also, perhaps "The Hassle Free Disney." Read these books cover to cover. They're all written by folks that spend WAY too much time at Disney and tell the rest of us how to maximize our trips, no matter what our budget.

There's a million things I'd suggest, from the commandments (Thou shall use fastpass, thou shall get to the park at opening, thou shall not go to Magic Kingdom on a Saturday, etc), and stuff like wear comfortable shoes, take Brita water bottles, go to the park that had early entry yesterday, etc. But your best bet is to buy a book, immerse yourself in it, read the theme parks forum on this board every day for a week (every blessed message) and begin to get a feel for what interests you.

As for touring guide, in September you'll be able to get tons done, but yeah, I'd go knowing what park I was doing every day, knowing an alternate park should the one I'm in become overly crowded (unlikely in September) or if you just want a change, and a basic non-obligatory touring plan. I used to have it written down to "go here, then go there." Now I kind of do it on autopilot, but it's the same principle. Example: when we go to MK, we try to be there for the "dash," what happens when they lift the ropes into Tomorrowland. DW immediately runs over to Space Mountain to hit fastpass while I get in line for Timekeeper. 45 minutes after close, we've ridden two of the best rides in the park. You'll find September is a great time to fiddle with learning a touring plan, because it's not so imperative you stay on it.

And for a young couple going together, you MUST look into Pleasure Island. I wish they had it when I was still young.

Good luck. There are many here that are not only willing to help you, but wish to live through you when they aren't in Disney itself. I'm happy to be more addicted to Disney planning than actually being in the park!

Pat

Welcome to the Disboards, Jessie. Pat gave you lots of great advice. I really don't think there's a lot more I can add. Take lots of pictures, but don't let that get in the way of enjoying your time there. Getting pictures with characters (yes, I'm a big kid and stand in line with the little kids) make some great souvenirs. Like Pat suggested, check the Boards here for lots of wonderful ideas.

Welcome to the boards!!! You'll really like it here!!

Here's some suggestions:

1. Get a guide book (I would strongly recommend the PassPorter Guide to WDW) and take a look through it. Have each of you write down which attractions, shows, parades, etc. you would like to do in each park and rank it in importance. This way you'll make sure to hit your must-see's!

2. Take a look at the menu's on Deb Will's site (see link below). This will give you a good idea as to some places to dine. Also, take a peak at the restaurant board on this site. You can get some pretty good ideas about different people's dining opinions.

http://www.wdwig.com/dining.htm

3. Pace yourself. There is no way you will see and do everything there is to see and do on your first trip. If you miss something, then you can hit it on your next trip.

4. The hours are probably going to be shortened at that time of year at the Magic Kingdom & MGM Studios, so don't be surprised.

5. Once the hours hit, take a look at when SpectroMagic, Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks & Fantasmic are being shown. These are all a don't-miss. Most likely the parade & fireworks will be on a Saturday night only.

6. Check to see if there is an e-night at the Magic Kingdom during your stay. If so, it would be worth your while to do it. The MK is really beautiful at night and e-nights are by ticket only, so much less crowds.

7. Hit Downtown Disney at night. It's really nice. A great place to eat there is the House of Blues.

8. Resort hop! Check out some of the deluxe resorts. They are really pretty nice.

9. Make sure to have dinner at Spoodle's on the Boardwalk! Great dining there! Afterwards, why not take a surreybike ride around the Boardwalk & over to the Yacht & Beach Club.

10. Try to make a reservation around 7:30pm at the Rose & Crown and request a patio table. The food is great and you can enjoy Illuminations relaxing at your table.

11. Be a kid at heart and have your pictures taken with as many characters as you want!

12. Bring a camera & a camcorder. Video and take pictures as much as possible, but don't let it take away from your trip. On my last trip I went through 6 disposable cameras & 6 camcorder tapes! Whenever I get a Disney World itch, I pop in the tapes and relive the magic!

Thank you for the great tips, everyone! I purchased an ATP from Tour Guide Mike's site, and I'm having great fun reading the reviews of all of the attractions! I just can't wait!

I'll take your advice and get myself a good guidebook, Pat and Terk. I've seen a few at Amazon.com that look fantastic. Good thing my birthday's coming up soon, I'll have plenty of opportunity to ask my friends and family to feed by WDW frenzy! ;-)

Thanks again, and take care!

Hi Jessie! Welcome!

We'll be there the same time as you guys! You've gotten lots of great suggestions so far, and I just want to echo the same! The Passporter is my personal favorite as far as guide books (www.passporter.com)

Terk's #6 suggestion on e-ride nights is great, but they start Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on the 3rd and I'd recommend getting tix for that (like a super-e-ride night!). We went in 1998 and had a blast and have our tix already for 10/3. Its a little early for Halloween, but I'm sure it will be a ton of fun.

Another recommendation would be to take a walk on the beach at the Poly and watch the Electrical Light Pagent from there.

um...what else? Take the time to visit a water park (TL is my favorite because of the theming and the snorkeling), go to a character meal or two - don't feel dumb as grown-ups!, ride all of the rides, even Dumbo - again, don't worry about what other people think! Relax, pace yourselves, and have fun!

Hi Kristin!

Thanks for the link to the Passporter site ... I'd seen that name mentioned a few times here, but had no idea what it was!

I've been hearing about the Halloween party too ... I'm going to try to hunt down a thread that explains a bit more about that, because it sounds like a lot of fun! Should I buy tickets way in advance, or hope they're available when we get there? I'm guessing admission isn't included in the UPH passes, right?

Glad to see that you'll be enjoying WDW at the same time! If I see a gal with a lime green ribbon, I'll be sure to say hello. ;-)

Jessie,

I do have my lime green ribbon on my belt-purse thingy. Where are you staying? We'll be at AKL (when we're not at the parks or the Adventurers' Club!)

Here's a link on some info for MNSSHP: http://www.wdwig.com/mnssh.htm

I bought our tickets already just to have them purchased while I am thinking about it. I'd guess that this early in the month won't be as popular as the ones closest or on Halloween so you probably don't need to worry too much...just my opinion, though.

Enjoy!

Jessie,
I second (or third?) the suggestion that you go to the MNSSHP on 10/3. Yes, it does require a separate ticket (around $30) but it gives you 5 whole hours (7PM-Midnight) in the MK at night during a time when it usually closes at 8 or 9; and I hear that the Halloween theme makes it not to be missed. Check out the link that KristinU posted. My wife are I will be at the Polynesian 10/1-8 for our first just-the-two-of-us WDW trip, and we're going to MNSSHP on 10/3 as well.

Standard advice: Thou shall take an afternoon break.
My extra advice: As a couple, don't let the attractions consume all your time; there are lots of romantical things you can do for low cost / free that you'll remember long after your 18th trip on Space Mtn. Have a drink at one of the World Showcase bars around sunset. Walk the paths at the Polynesian at night, with the music and the tiki torches setting the mood. Since PI is in your PHP, you MUST hit the Adventurer's Club. Try to get in a quick smooch on every attraction you ride :o

And don't forget to stop and "feel the magic" - notice the little touches on Main Street, listen to the parrot at Pirates, watch the fountain at EPCOT.

So have a great time, and if you see a 40-something couple with lime green ribbons, come on over and introduce yourselves!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter