• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Message boards for Kids?

BedKnobbery2

<font color=blue>Saucy Pants!<br><font color=red>W
Hi folks!

Does anyone know of a disney message board specifically for kids to talk about walt disney world? My 10 year old is just dying to chat with others about disney. The teens board here was a little too mature for him, and not really geared towards disney-oriented conversation. He loves reading the boards here, but is feeling an urge to communicate with other kids!!

Thanks!
BK

I'm 10 yrs old too and I posted the same thing a couple of months ago but Webmaster Michelle from the cruise board told me to post on the teen board. I think there should be a board just for kids. Is there any way we could start a kids board?:confused:

Amanda:earsgirl:

My DD just asked today if there was a board for kids her age (7). This may be worth looking into. I lack the technical skill to create one, though!

Lori

I'm only 10. I have no clue. Maybe someone could move this to a board that someone could help.

Amanda:earsgirl:

I think what we're talking about is a place like the Dis but for kids ages 6 - 12 or so. I did not see any kind of message board on that site - did I miss one?

Lori

There was a news story a few months ago in this area of a girl who was missing and it was discovered she met some guy on an internet chat room and left home to meet him and he took her off and kept her tied up in his apartment! It's amazing that they found her alive if at all. She was 16 or so.

I urge all parents of teens and kids to watch their kids closely when they are on any discussion boards and chat rooms. There are some really SICK people out there and they love to get on the teen boards and look for ones who are depressed or rebellious. These perverts will pretend to be a teen themselves and befriend them. When you are on the computer you can invent yourself into whatever you want to and kids can be so trusting. It's up to us as parents to protect them! A sick demented individual could write, "I know a guy who could really help you. He understands kids. Come meet him at....... Don't worry, everything will be alright!" It has happened!

Don't let your child or teen give out personal information over the internet. If they want to meet with someone that they have met on the internet, go with them at first to meet them too. If your teen is becoming more reclusive, perferring to talk on the computer than with your family, then start asking questions! His life could be at stake!

My little ones don't read or write yet so this issue hasn't come in my house. I'm trying to set an example to my kids by keeping personal matters and information about myself off these boards. I'm not so sure I would let my little girl get on here. I'M NOT SAYING that any good parent would not let their child post or chat. I just worry about little ones and want to encourage all parents to watch them just as closely on here as you would if they are playing outside. Because this IS a door to the outside.

Please don't think that I am accusing anyone of anything. Just think of this as a reminder to all parents to be careful.

You make a very good point. I always monitor my 7 y/o's activities on the internet, and she is very good about checking with me when information is requested. I don't chat, and would not allow my children to do so, either. A message board like this - organized and run like this - is within my limits of acceptability. However, your warning is well heeded and fills an important rols in this kind of discussion. Thanks for reminding me!

Lori

I felt the same as, Miss Park Avenue, I was going to post but wanted to word my thoughts carefully. Just as glad you did it for me:) well thought out.

I don't know how closely these boards are monitored, I'm guessing it's not necessary to police "us" very closely, but a young child board would DEFINATELY need to be monitored closely. Would DIS be able to find someone to take on this responsibility?

There are guidelines in our house too for using the internet and my girls are very cautious. That's not the case in all houses and we really have to be responsible for kids without close supervision.....

....now Jennifer steps off her soapbox... :)

Originally posted by jldriscoll

I don't know how closely these boards are monitored, I'm guessing it's not necessary to police "us" very closely, but a young child board would DEFINATELY need to be monitored closely. Would DIS be able to find someone to take on this responsibility?
While I agree that parents need to be very carfull when it come to their children internet use. I do however not feel it is up to the internet site to do the policing.

I would like to see a Disney boards for the under 13 age group, but I also know that their are rules etc. that govern. this that makes it not very likely to happen.

Originally posted by WDW2002

While I agree that parents need to be very carfull when it come to their children internet use. I do however not feel it is up to the internet site to do the policing.

You are right it should not be the sites responsibility, but would you be willing to be the monitior that is responsible for those visiting the site? I'm not sure I would, if anything happened related to interaction on the site.....well, just not something I would want to live with.

I would LOVE for my 8 yr old to be able to discuss disney with her peers...I guess there has been just enough craziness on the news involving children I look for trouble where ever it "might" happen no matter how remote.

I was trying to find the story I was referring to earlier but found this website instead. I urge all parents to read it over and discuss it with their kids.

www.protectkids.org

Help this helps!

The Dibb boards have set up a kidzone for under 16s - they cannot get onto this without permission from their parents and it is very family friendly - have a look .
The Dibb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter