• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magical Express Question

Cmeller

Earning My Ears
So we have an upcoming extended family vacation at WDW in about a month and a half. We have used Magical Express from the airport in the past and had no issues. However, a few folks in our party have had a bad experience with the service (lost luggage and luggage arrive very late). They are still open to taking the service but want to pick up their checked bags first and then take them with them on the bus. They plan on not putting any tags on their bags so they don't get intercepted at the airport. Is this something that is can be done?

Not that it matters but we are all flying the same airline and going to all be staying at Coranado Springs.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, they can. Let them know that if they prefer to pick up their own luggage that they should not put the tags on them. They will also have to take the luggage to the bus (I'm sure they could hire a porter in the airport to do that for them if they want).

The fam and I always pickup the luggage first. The only inconvenience is that you have to go to the first floor on the "A" side, then carry your luggage all the way to floor 1 on the "B" side... which is more complicated than it sounds.

Basically, the only way to get from side-to-side in Orlando airport is to go to that side from floor 2(? or 3? - someone may be able to answer), walk to that side, then take the elevator down to floor one.

So basically, here's what you would be going through. You get into Orlando and take the monorail over. You walk out and to your right toward the "A" side. You take the elevator down to floor 1. You claim your bags, take the elevator up to floor 2 or 3. You walk over to the "B" side (which could definitely be a trek) and take the elevator down to floor 1. Then you walk to the ME.

The reason why going the ME Express route is so easy is because:
- This process can be complicated
- You don't need to retrieve and carry (or wheel) your bags
- You will end up sweaty with all the walking and carrying your own bags (American Problems)..

But, we like to get to our rooms and know that we're ready to go once we arrive. The only way we can 100% ensure this is by getting our own bags.

Totally can be done. I have never had a problem with ME but it could always happen and that is my worry. I always make my family pack swiiming suits, an extra outfit and toothbrush as bare essentials in their carry on just to be safe in case luggage is delayed or lost we can still keep going. Maybe that could be a safety for them as well if they are concerned that it will go bad again. Just an option I wanted to throw out in case it could help.

If it helps at all to encourage them to give DME another try, there was a thread recently where the OP asked for opinions - good or bad - about DME. I don't think I've seen a more consistently positive bunch of responses about anything at WDW in the 7 years or so I've been on the DIS. Even threads that start out praising something usually get plenty of dissenting opinions, but this one was really amazing. Feel free to check it out if you think it will help calm their fears a little: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3091124

The fam and I always pickup the luggage first. The only inconvenience is that you have to go to the first floor on the "A" side, then carry your luggage all the way to floor 1 on the "B" side... which is more complicated than it sounds.

Basically, the only way to get from side-to-side in Orlando airport is to go to that side from floor 2(? or 3? - someone may be able to answer), walk to that side, then take the elevator down to floor one.

So basically, here's what you would be going through. You get into Orlando and take the monorail over. You walk out and to your right toward the "A" side. You take the elevator down to floor 1. You claim your bags, take the elevator up to floor 2 or 3. You walk over to the "B" side (which could definitely be a trek) and take the elevator down to floor 1. Then you walk to the ME.

The reason why going the ME Express route is so easy is because:
- This process can be complicated
- You don't need to retrieve and carry (or wheel) your bags
- You will end up sweaty with all the walking and carrying your own bags (American Problems)..

But, we like to get to our rooms and know that we're ready to go once we arrive. The only way we can 100% ensure this is by getting our own bags.

Although that is only the case if your flight arrives on the A side. My flights arrive on B so I go down one flight of stairs (escalator) use the restroom across from the luggage carousels and the typically have the luggage shortly after, grab the elevator down another flight and over to ME.

Liz

Although that is only the case if your flight arrives on the A side. My flights arrive on B so I go down one flight of stairs (escalator) use the restroom across from the luggage carousels and the typically have the luggage shortly after, grab the elevator down another flight and over to ME.

Liz

NO NEED TO BRAG! :lmao:

As the PPs have said, you most certainly can do this. We were arriving late on our last trip and decided to get our own luggage before boarding ME. It was very simple and convenient (aside from the fact we kept going down A until we realized we needed to be on B. Of course, if you know this in advance you'll be all set!) If your family members don't put the tags on the bags they'll have to pick them up themselves. No calls/planning with ME is needed to stow bags on the bus!

Us folks in the uk don't get the tags so most of us take out luggage with us to the bus. Never had a problem and a late arriving flight they have to collect their own bags anyway.

We do this every trip. We prefer to get our own bags and bring them with us. The only downside is that we seem to end up on the other side of the airport as the baggage carousel, so we have to go up the elevator with our bags and drag them across the airport, and go down the elevator to get to DME. We each bring one bag that rolls but if anyone has trouble with that, you might need a cart!

So we have an upcoming extended family vacation at WDW in about a month and a half. We have used Magical Express from the airport in the past and had no issues. However, a few folks in our party have had a bad experience with the service (lost luggage and luggage arrive very late). They are still open to taking the service but want to pick up their checked bags first and then take them with them on the bus. They plan on not putting any tags on their bags so they don't get intercepted at the airport. Is this something that is can be done?

Not that it matters but we are all flying the same airline and going to all be staying at Coranado Springs.

Thanks in advance.

You've gotten the answer. I would be very interested in a head to head comparison of your experience (with letting ME handle your bags) and that of the family members that will be getting their own bags. I see you say you're on the same airline, but not the same plane. Assuming you're arriving at different times and don't care to meet up at the airport, report back to us after this experiment please. I have never had any trouble with ME. With a late arrival, I've asked that our bags be kept with luggage/bell services until the next morning, but that was not a "problem" with ME. Just with the time my flight arrived.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter