• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Magic October 10,2022 Halloween Cruise to Canada & Maine

Hey all! We are on the cruise too. What does being a tender in Bar Harbor means? I'm particularly worried because we have booked a lobster boat tour which will finish at 4:30pm. The ship leaves at 5:45pm. It'll only be a 35 min walk back to the ship, so if we arrive at the ship at 5:05pm, will we be able to get onto it before it leaves 40 min later?
Tender boats are used when the ship can’t dock right at the port you are visiting. A smaller boat comes alongside the ship and you travel to the port pier in that. It takes extra time when it’s busy, like in the morning when a lot of people want to get off at the same time.

Returns are staggered since people come back different times. I have never used a tender, so I only know what I’ve seen in others trip reports. This is why people who book the DCL excursions have it best. Disney prioritizes them getting off first, and if their group is delayed they wouldn’t leave without them.

I can’t speak to times getting back on. Maybe those who have been to Bar Harbor could say how long it takes. I would think as long as you are in line for a tender at the Disney area in port with time to spare it is ok. I guess they will give us times for last tender and instructions on ship, but I like to plan in advance.

Tender boats are used when the ship can’t dock right at the port you are visiting. A smaller boat comes alongside the ship and you travel to the port pier in that. It takes extra time when it’s busy, like in the morning when a lot of people want to get off at the same time.

Returns are staggered since people come back different times. I have never used a tender, so I only know what I’ve seen in others trip reports. This is why people who book the DCL excursions have it best. Disney prioritizes them getting off first, and if their group is delayed they wouldn’t leave without them.

I can’t speak to times getting back on. Maybe those who have been to Bar Harbor could say how long it takes. I would think as long as you are in line for a tender at the Disney area in port with time to spare it is ok. I guess they will give us times for last tender and instructions on ship, but I like to plan in advance.
The 5:45pm is the all guests on board time. The last tender back to the Magic should be close to that time. But definitely confirm last tender time when going on shore.

Thanks for the info! And does anyone know where the tender boat docks on land? I assume it's the cruise terminal (I included a link to the Google Map but the board won't let me post it - it's right near the Days Inn By Wyndham hotel), but I'm hoping it's more in the town area.

Thanks for the info! And does anyone know where the tender boat docks on land? I assume it's the cruise terminal (I included a link to the Google Map but the board won't let me post it - it's right near the Days Inn By Wyndham hotel), but I'm hoping it's more in the town area.
In 2019, on West Street close to Main Street.

Question regarding tips for excursions. Do you think it's OK tp tip in US Dollars when in St. John or Halifax? I'm hoping most places will take credit card for shopping and dining on shore, but wasn't sure if I need to get Canadian Dollar for tipping.

Question regarding tips for excursions. Do you think it's OK tp tip in US Dollars when in St. John or Halifax? I'm hoping most places will take credit card for shopping and dining on shore, but wasn't sure if I need to get Canadian Dollar for tipping
If tipping is needed, USD should be good. We are not taking CAD.

Really important point about the buses! Makes a huge difference on accessibility to the island. We are very familiar with Acadia and were planning simply to run up to Jordan Pond for lunch and a hike around the lake. It's now clear we need to plan something organized... i'm doubtful there will be 'ubers...' as most of the summer workers will be gone.

Bar Harbor itself is nice but a bit 'touristy...' We usually stay at southwest harbor on the 'quiet side' of the island. But with no buses that's a problem. I will hunt options as we weren't planning to book an excursion. It's a bit disappointing another ship is in as well as this will pack Bar Harbor and probably make the tenders an issue. VERY helpful.

Just confirmed... all of the car rentals are off island (8 miles away) at the regional airport. not an option

Does anyone know the dinner rotation schedule / concept for this cruise? Our last cruise was in Europe and a lot has changed since. We are a two some (no kids... all graduated) so this will be a bit different. We will enjoy the various adult entertainment this round. Sounds like pirate night is Day 4 (between St John and Halifax... interesting choice).

What are the Halloween events?

And what day is check in?

Last edited:
Embarkation process anyone understand the process?

We are fully vaccinated (actually plan to get the new booster when it's available). So i get all the canadian app upload stuff (not until 72 hours before)... and there is safe passage requirement for Disney (15 days before).. but do we also need to do a test 3 days or less prior and provide this? We will be in NYC so we will need to figure out where to do that.

Sorry for the many posts...

What are the Halloween events?

And what day is check in?
Hi. This will be the first time we are going on a Halloween on the High Seas cruise but I know they will have trick or treating and a Mouse-querade Party. Plus other events will be Halloween themed. Check-in is Saturday Sept. 10. So be prepared at midnight EST on the 9th to check-in if you want an early PAT. :wave2:

Embarkation process anyone understand the process?

We are fully vaccinated (actually plan to get the new booster when it's available). So i get all the canadian app upload stuff (not until 72 hours before)... and there is safe passage requirement for Disney (15 days before).. but do we also need to do a test 3 days or less prior and provide this? We will be in NYC so we will need to figure out where to do that.

Sorry for the many posts...
Correct on the above except for the testing. Either you do your own testing 1 to 2 days prior to embarkation or test at port. It will be more expensive at the port and you won't know until then if you can board. If you test on your own in your hotel room with a test kit and using a telehealth service, then you will know ahead of time if you can board. Remember to upload your test result to Safe Passage before embarkation day.

Correct on the above except for the testing. Either you do your own testing 1 to 2 days prior to embarkation or test at port. It will be more expensive at the port and you won't know until then if you can board. If you test on your own in your hotel room with a test kit and using a telehealth service, then you will know ahead of time if you can board. Remember to upload your test result to Safe Passage before embarkation day.
what tests must you use? i looked at safe passage description and it implies you order tests through it. but you can't do that before 15 days ahead and with mail the way it is that seems way too short. we have the gov't issued tests. and what 'proctored' services do they permit? it doesn't say (annoying).

what tests must you use? i looked at safe passage description and it implies you order tests through it. but you can't do that before 15 days ahead and with mail the way it is that seems way too short. we have the gov't issued tests. and what 'proctored' services do they permit? it doesn't say (annoying).
You can order the tests from the Safe Passage website 15 days before. They will send it right away and it usually arrives within 3 days from what I hear. Or you can use your free gov't issued tests as long as they say "emergency authorized use only" and they are unopened. The gov't issued tests can be proctored by any telehealth service. The one I hear most often mentioned is Onpoint at www.onpoint-testing.com. They also sell their own test kits combined with proctored service as well.

Hey all! I was reading through this thread because I live in Bar Harbor. For those looking for ways to get into Acadia Nat’l Park… If all of the guided tours are booked, try renting a street-legal electric vehicle through Acadia GEM. I’m not affiliated with this business or any I mention here. Just wanted to provide some real world advice. The GEM cars really are the easiest way to get around when you don’t have a vehicle. And yes, taxis and Ubers are not easy to come by and some taxis are sketchy. If you’re dining in town the best places are West Street Cafe, Side Street Cafe, and Leary’s Landing. For shopping, I would definitely hit Sherman’s and the Acadia Shop on Main Street, they now have select LL Bean merch as they have recently partnered. I hope these tips help you all. I’m planning to get on my husband’s boat (he’s a commercial lobsterman) and get some cool pics around the ship, or as close to it as we are allowed! Safe travels and enjoy Bar Harbor! 🦞🛳🍁

https://www.acadiagem.com/
https://www.weststreetcafe.com/
https://www.sidestreetbarharbor.com/
https://www.learyslanding.com/
https://www.shermans.com/
https://www.acadiashops.com/#stores

::yes:: It's almost time for check-in! :banana:11 hours to go
Hi. How did everyone do with PAT times? We tried at 12am, but couldn't get past the blue wheel of doom. At 6am this morning we tried again, and got a Noon PAT with boarding group10. Is that good? Next, the covid test hurdle.

Hi. How did everyone do with PAT times? We tried at 12am, but couldn't get past the blue wheel of doom. At 6am this morning we tried again, and got a Noon PAT with boarding group10. Is that good? Next, the covid test hurdle.
I had a rough time. Had to start over many times. And then when I saved, it erased everything. But I finally got 11:45 group 8.

It took over 2 1/2 hours but I got an 11:45 PAT and boarding group 8. Glad it’s all done !

Did ours last night (Sunday the 11th) and 1pm was earliest available, group 18.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter