Disney Magic How To Do London Like A Local

How long are you staying?

Paddington is fine as you will have access to a number of tube lines and bus route for easy transportation. I do not think it's a particularly interesting part of the city, have you considered the Kensington or Knightsbridge area? Several of the big museums are there and south side of Hyde Park is lovely with several memorials and Kensington Palace offers tours of the state rooms. Hampton Court is also an excellent visit, but further out of town and a bigger time commitment.

You might consider looking into the London Pass. A number of the places you mentioned on your list would be included and if you plan carefully it can save money.
The Days Out Guide often has 2-for-1 tickets for some of the attractions also.

I always enjoy taking a walk or two with London Walks www.walks.com. They do offer walks through markets, parks and some of the museums that can add to your visit. Thye offer a day trip to Stonehenge.

Stonehenge is probably easiest to visit if you rent a car, but you can use train/bus transportation or go on a guided tour.

If there is a specific show you want to see, book tickets ahead, otherwise the Half-Price TKTS booth in the middle of Leicester Square will have good prices for many shows.

Greenwich is beautiful and deserves more of a visit than just the prime meridian. You could combine a day there with a visit to Eltham Palace, an amazing place that is part medieval and part 1930's art deco.

We think we will be staying 8 nights. If I could get DH on board, I would like to bump that to 10. But we will be there at least 8 nights.

We watched a video on Amazon spotlighting London Walks. It's great to hear they offer a Stonehenge day trip. We'll look into that. My husband really wants to do a walk or two. He might be doing the Jack the Ripper walk on his own. I'm not sure that particular walk would be something my daughter and I would enjoy.

Thank you for another Greenwich suggestion. Eltham Palace sounds like something we would love to add to our day there.

I'll also look into the other areas of the city you suggested, and we will definitely get the London Pass and look into the Days Out Guide. Thank you so much for these tips!

So Paddington
Safe , good location, also search Lancaster Gate a 5 minute walk.
Downside, a little construction work re Elizabeth line but the heavy stuff has been done.
On Pared Street outside Paddington is a large Hilton, not been in it, but always looks great, and very close to station entrance, in fact adjoins station.

Your list of places is well informed, I really love Borough market, it gets overlooked, for say Camden Market etc.
Borough market is in a great location next to London Bridge station and the Shard and Shakespeare's globe. The cheese and fresh food are great.

I think it's too late for Buckingham palace the summer season would have ended and the Queen will be back. Harry and Megan maybe in Australia for the Invictus games.

Weather, changeable, you tell me! Cool, rain, wind, sun, shorter days, prepare for everything.

Children will be on half term last full week of November so all museums and sights will be busy that week, do pre book.
Excellent info here, as well! Thank you! I think we will plan to visit Borough Market when we visit the Globe. The Shard wasn't top priority, but if it's close to the Globe and the Market, we might stop in there when we're in the area.

Will look into the Paddington Hilton. Thanks!

Excellent info here, as well! Thank you! I think we will plan to visit Borough Market when we visit the Globe. The Shard wasn't top priority, but if it's close to the Globe and the Market, we might stop in there when we're in the area.

Will look into the Paddington Hilton. Thanks!

Pre book the Shard a great view. The Globe is fantastic a museum and plays there.
I do love Borough market, I do not often see it mentioned by cruiers but a great place, very busy at lunchtime, I regularly walk there.

Paddington yes Hilton is a great location, but will mention some building work at the west end re new station for Elizabeth line, but most work complete, it opens in December.

Do look at Lancaster Gate it's a stones throw away and has central line tube access. Some hotels there overlook Hyde park.

If you're in Lancaster gate/Paddington area and want to see a castle then you can hop on the train from Paddington to Windsor (via Slough) nice and easily. Windsor castle is much nicer than Buckingham palace in my opinion and it's a nice place to potter around, cross the bridge to visit Eton college and maybe walk in Windsor Great park if the city has gotten too much for you.

The Paddington area is fine. Busy, not classy, but fine. There are a few nice places to eat and a lot of average places. It's my old stomping ground so will give some recommendations nearer the time if you do choose to stay there. Going south to Lancaster gate, overlooking kensington gardens is a good suggestion. Only a 5 minutes walk from Paddington station still.

If we are only going to be in London for 2 days, is it still useful to get the Oyster card? Or should we just pay as we go (this is what we did last time when we were there for 3 days)?

If we are only going to be in London for 2 days, is it still useful to get the Oyster card? Or should we just pay as we go (this is what we did last time when we were there for 3 days)?
Do you have contactless? That would be easiest. Or yes, buy daily travel cards. Paying per journey generally works out badly and cannot be done on buses any more

It's up to you, there is a deposit on Oyster, I would not buy any day ticket but oyster pay as you go, and load if required.

If your bank has international contactless cards they will work instead of oyster but do touch in and out.

I don't know what contactless cards are. Can I use a credit card and just load when needed? We will mostly be walking around (last trip I think we used the tube twice in 3 days and that was inside the city). This time we'll need it once in the city, plus we need to go to Watford, so I guess that's another tube ride plus the train there and back.

I don't know what contactless cards are. Can I use a credit card and just load when needed? We will mostly be walking around (last trip I think we used the tube twice in 3 days and that was inside the city). This time we'll need it once in the city, plus we need to go to Watford, so I guess that's another tube ride plus the train there and back.

No that will not work, in the UK we have " contactless " bank cards, debit and credit to tap and pay for goods upto £30 without the use of a pin. You need one of thoose.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informati...g-around-london/best-ways-for-visitors-to-pay

Watford can be done by oyster or contactless, visitors go there often for Harry Potter studios, at Watford junction, get a fast train from Euston.

Ask your credit card company. My cap-one card is contactless but I had to ask for it. They could also make mine a chip & pin too. I told them I was going to London for a few days before my cruise and they sent me the new type of cc right away. Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet tho as none of my local stores seems to have the setup for contactless.

And thanks London experts! I’ve been learning a lot from you about London!

Also, there is a “sideways” WiFi-like symbol on the contactless cards so you’ll be able to tell if yours is one.

Ask your credit card company. My cap-one card is contactless but I had to ask for it. They could also make mine a chip & pin too. I told them I was going to London for a few days before my cruise and they sent me the new type of cc right away. Haven’t had a chance to try it out yet tho as none of my local stores seems to have the setup for contactless.

And thanks London experts! I’ve been learning a lot from you about London!

Also, there is a “sideways” WiFi-like symbol on the contactless cards so you’ll be able to tell if yours is one.

Yes!

Thanks for the info. Guess we need to look into this. I know none of ours are chip and pin. Hopefully we can get a contactless one and if not, we will find another way to pay since it's only 2 days of a long trip.

Thanks for the info. Guess we need to look into this. I know none of ours are chip and pin. Hopefully we can get a contactless one and if not, we will find another way to pay since it's only 2 days of a long trip.
008A5794-018C-4F75-BE21-94C62C7C1014-263-000000285B8AF7C2.png

Like this, just need a " tap" to pay.

It's probably just as easy to get a regular Oyster card. There is a £5 deposit to get a card, but that can be refunded before you leave.

It's probably just as easy to get a regular Oyster card. There is a £5 deposit to get a card, but that can be refunded before you leave.
£5 per person, - adds up, also a hassle getting a refund queuing up. Most stations do not have cashier staff / ticket offices, it's now all self service. Getting an oyster ok, getting refund, not.

For 2/3 days with limited travel not really suitable, if staying a week - then yes.

Now I have a Oyster but travel all day every day in and around London. Mine doesn't need a deposit as it's an annual one.

For short trips, contactless, or Apple Pay is far better.

So if I do this I don't need a special credit card? Good to have another option if so, even if it's going to cost a bit more.

£5 per person, - adds up, also a hassle getting a refund queuing up. Most stations do not have cashier staff / ticket offices, it's now all self service. Getting an oyster ok, getting refund, not.

For 2/3 days with limited travel not really suitable, if staying a week - then yes.

Now I have a Oyster but travel all day every day in and around London. Mine doesn't need a deposit as it's an annual one.

For short trips, contactless, or Apple Pay is far better.

Contactless cards, like chip and pin, are less common in the US, although becoming more available.

As long as the balance on the card is under £10, refunds can be made at underground ticket machines and Heathrow.

So if I do this I don't need a special credit card? Good to have another option if so, even if it's going to cost a bit more.

No special credit card is needed.

Contactless cards, like chip and pin, are less common in the US, although becoming more available.

As long as the balance on the card is under £10, refunds can be made at underground ticket machines and Heathrow.

No special credit card is needed.

May I ask? When were you last in London?

Personally as a Londoner I disagree and think this is poor advice and confusing.

As posted before.

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informati...g-around-london/best-ways-for-visitors-to-pay

From TFL Transport for London.

In the end the readers will have to decide what they wish to do..........

One will cause hassle and I actually think for the " wrong" reasons on someone just wanting to disagree with me.

I'm just looking for the easiest way to get around. Saving $5 isn't as important as not having issues. Can we pay with cash? It's a long trip and London is the final 2 days, so I'm expecting some exhaustion by that point. The same thing happened last time we were there - 3 days at the tail end of a month abroad - and I always end up not as prepared for the end of the trip as the beginning. I'm probably also less concerned (probably not a good thing TBH) since I've been to London quite a few times but I also know that things change, especially with all the tech and security stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter