Disney Magic from NYC

GrumpySue

Mouseketeer
Has anyone recently been on the Magic cruise from NYC down to Castaway Cay/Port Canaveral ?? I can't decide what to pack, I imagine the first day or two could be pretty cold on the ship. At what point was it warm enough to lay out by the pool ?? Any advice would be appreciated !

I went on the 10/14/17 out of NYC. got back on the 21st. I packed more stuff for chillier temps and did not them (but that was earlier in the month when we had a warm stretch). The first two sea days were sunny and nice. We were pretty busy the first sea day so didn't go by the pools. The second sea day (Monday) was warm enough for our 2 year old granddaughter to play in the splash zone. People were laying out by the adult pools as well.

It was very warm at Castaway Cay. WDW day it was overcast most of the day but warm (I wore sleeveless blouse). Sun came out later in the day. We really had great weather but again the 4 sea days we had may have been an fluke because of the warm stretch we had in October.

If you are going in November I would definitely pack a sweater or sweatshirt/jacket for the sea days. I think the second sea day should be warm enough if the first sea day is not.

DSCN5029.JPG

MJ

I was on the same cruise. A long sleeved shirt and a pair of pants will be all you need. The pools were warmed and it was only chilly one day. I always carry a cardigan but didn't need it.

If your sailing Sat high should be around 55 in NYC. I would expect the first and last sea day to be downright cold. It's always colder out at sea especially if there's wind. I plan on bringing my Alaska cruise clothes and my Caribbean cruise clothes.

I'm on the same cruise and currently going crazy on packing. I ALWAYS over pack and can't control myself. I just want to be comfortable and hate being cold. I'm packing for 4 warm days but a lot more warmer clothes as I suspect it will be chilly at night

I'm on the same cruise and currently going crazy on packing. I ALWAYS over pack and can't control myself. I just want to be comfortable and hate being cold. I'm packing for 4 warm days but a lot more warmer clothes as I suspect it will be chilly at night
We're spending 1 night pre cruise and 2 nights after. It looks like it will be a little warmer after... a balmy 55 degrees. I live in AZ where it's currently 80 degrees. My wardrobe for cold weather is very limited, but I do have a few things. My kids on the other hand have next to nothing. My 15 year old has 1 pair of long pants(no joke), and one hoodie. He lives in shorts and tshirts year round. My 13 year old has a few things because I took him to Alaska in September. It looks like I may have to do a little shopping before we leave.

Wash and dry layers. We will probably pack a couple of pairs of shorts and jeans. I bring a heavy sweater and/or a fleece jacket on every cruise. This one might also see my winter jacket or my down vest. It's tough to pack for the different climates, and we are really trying to keep it to one checked-in bag, even though we live locally.

My wardrobe for cold weather is very limited, but I do have a few things. My kids on the other hand have next to nothing. My 15 year old has 1 pair of long pants(no joke), and one hoodie. He lives in shorts and tshirts year round. My 13 year old has a few things because I took him to Alaska in September. It looks like I may have to do a little shopping before we leave.

Uniqlo's packable down jackets are really versatile for traveling, I even take them with me to WDW in the winter months. They pack really small (even squish into my small-ish crossbody bag) and are warm. Costco has a version for $25... not as well made, but still warm, and a lot cheaper!

Thanks for all the tips, I guess I will just have to pack a whole range of clothes. I know whatever the temp it is usually colder at sea, so some long pants and fleece jackets.

So sail away party out of NYC is gonna be really cold !!! Yikes, better pack some heavy stuff.
Yep. Low of 27 Friday night. There's a Veterans day parade in NYC Sat from 1130 to 3pm. I'm not sure how this will affect traffic to the port, but I thought Id mention it.

Yep. Low of 27 Friday night. There's a Veterans day parade in NYC Sat from 1130 to 3pm. I'm not sure how this will affect traffic to the port, but I thought Id mention it.

Should not have a big impact. Parades are not on the West Side Highway - they're usually on 5th Ave.

Should not have a big impact. Parades are not on the West Side Highway - they're usually on 5th Ave.
Thanks. What about coming from Newark. We are flying into EWR. I was going to stay and Embassy suites at the EWR airport the night before cruise, but switched to the Homewood Suites in Edgewater. I wasn't sure about the traffic going from EWR area to the port if there was a big event in the city. The Embassy suites at Newark is about 75.00 dollars less. After the cruise we are staying at the Double tree Suites for two nights and flying out of JFK. Everytime we fly through JFK our flight is either cancelled or delayed hours. I'm hoping to end that family tradition.

Thanks. What about coming from Newark. We are flying into EWR. I was going to stay and Embassy suites at the EWR airport the night before cruise, but switched to the Homewood Suites in Edgewater. I wasn't sure about the traffic going from EWR area to the port if there was a big event in the city. The Embassy suites at Newark is about 75.00 dollars less. After the cruise we are staying at the Double tree Suites for two nights and flying out of JFK. Everytime we fly through JFK our flight is either cancelled or delayed hours. I'm hoping to end that family tradition.

Complete opposite side of the city. :)

Was on the 10/14 and we had great weather. The only time the whole week it was too cool to be out on deck in shorts and t-shirts was the Friday evening on the return, and at that point we were just off the coast of NJ. But I'm sure the cruises now would not be quite as warm. My guess would be Sunday and Friday would probably be on chilly, in between should be fine.

Yes I know, thanks. I'm gonna plan on getting there early and avoid the east side completely.

Opposite sides. Should be no problem.

Sorry bout that double response.

I don’t know if there is anything at the Interpid though. I will check.

@cruiser21 - There is a ceremony at the Intrepid (just down from the cruise pier) but that is at 3:30 so should not really affect anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter