Disney Magic 6-night Galveston Cruise Review

aswmammoth

Earning My Ears
We recently debarked a 6-night sailing from Galveston on the Disney Magic. I have cruised with Carnival, RCL, and NCL multiple times each in the last several years, but not DCL. This was my fiance's first Disney cruise ever, and my first since I was a kid. We traveled as a couple with no kids. As frequent cruisers with other lines but big Disney fans, here is my review.

PRE-CRUISE

Booking: We booked an IGT rate about 4 months out. We prefer to cruise 5 nights or longer, so finding this rate for a longer cruise on DCL pushed us to book.

Online Check In: A NIGHTMARE compared to other cruise lines. On Carnival, NCL and RCL, when online check in opens you can select your port arrival time first, and come back to fill in guest info later. This normally takes less than 5 minutes to get the arrival time you want. With DCL, you have to fill all of your information in first before you can select a port arrival time. I was able to start inputting information for the first 5 minutes just fine, until the servers were so overloaded that nothing worked for upwards of 4 hours. In short, it took 5 hours to complete online check in and receive an 11am PAT and Boarding Group 2. If the other cruise lines that service 20 or more ships can fix this issue, Disney has no excuse.

Pre Cruise Stay: We stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort. I paid about $40 extra for a Park and Go rate. The shuttles require you to sign up for a time slot (9:15, 10:45 and 12:15 I believe). You have to move your car to another parking lot across the street before leaving for your cruise. We chose to move our car and Uber to the port rather than take the shuttle, as we wanted to leave a bit earlier.

Port Check In: Smooth process, no issues. Older terminal but staff was very friendly and helpful.

SHIP

We loved this ship's design! It was the smallest ship we have sailed on in recent years, and it was very easy and quick to navigate. For the most part, everything was very clean and well-maintained. She has been kept in great condition over the years, and it shows.

STATEROOM

We had a standard inside stateroom (11B) with a sideways configuration. If you plan to stay in an inside cabin, I highly recommend the sideways stateroom layout. The room felt much more open and spacious than I expected. This was the most comfortable cruise ship bed I've slept on by far. We had an awesome room steward and great room service experience.

DINING

Cabanas: Food was definitely a step above other cruise line buffets. Service was great. Biggest complaint was on the last sea day, the crowds for breakfast were ridiculous. People lined up 20 minutes or more just to reach the food. Not the fault of the crew by any means, they went above and beyond trying to help the situation as best as possible, but I have never seen crowds like that in a cruise ship buffet before.

Quick service options: Food was good, almost never a wait at any of the locations unlike on some other cruise lines. Disney could stand to improve the quality of their pizza to that of Carnival and Royal.

Main Dining Rooms: The food was mostly good, very good at times. However, we were surprisingly disappointed with our serving team experience. It could have partly been that they seemed so busy constantly, but they did not seem to try to get to know us very well. Our main server struggled to understand us at times, but the assistant server was better. We have always loved our serving teams on other cruises, but we were somewhat disappointed on this cruise. The head server felt more like a manager than a server, he came by nightly to say hello, briefly mention the next day's weather and left.

ENTERTAINMENT

Production Shows: The three production shows were all top-notch in talent and production quality! The only cruise line that comes close in quality of production shows to me is NCL, but Disney is now my favorite of all cruise lines I've sailed with. They had a ventriloquist and a magician on board, but we did not attend those shows.

Dinner Shows: Also great

Trivia/animation classes: Very fun!

Character Meet n' Greets: We did plenty of character experiences, Spider-Man was my personal favorite. However, be prepared for the lines, especially on full cruises. People will start queuing for characters 30 minutes or more BEFORE the scheduled time for the most popular characters. For shorter cruises with less character meeting times, or for popular characters only meeting once or twice per cruise, or to meet the Mouse himself, you could be waiting 45 minutes to an hour in line if you do not show up early.

PORTS

Cozumel: We took a taxi to Mr Sanchos for the day. Despite the ocean and pools being cold, we had a great experience! Drinks and food were very good.

Costa Maya: We stayed on the ship this day. 4 ships in port (15,000+ people), and the massive crowds were visible from the ship.

DEBARKATION

We had a later assigned breakfast time (8:15am). The line to get off the ship looked awful when we got to the atrium, but after leaving breakfast, it took us only 20 minutes to get from the ship's atrium to the ride share area of the port.

SUMMARY

Overall, this was one of our favorite cruises we have taken together! The issues we faced were very, very minor. The Disney Magic does a great job at spreading guests out for the most part. We only noticed very large crowding for characters, before theater shows, and on the last sea day when the temperatures outside were much lower than previous days, the inside activities got very crowded. The Disney experience felt much more enjoyable on this cruise than in the theme parks in recent years, which we really appreciated. We will definitely be cruising with Disney again!

Disney could stand to improve the quality of their pizza

First, thanks for the quick summary. We will be sailing the Magic for the first time in May so glad to know she's looking okay.

Pizza - they have stepped up their game on the Wish it seems...maybe they will translate that back across the other ships.

Do you remember what the other MDR menus were besides pirate night and the 3 regular dining room specific menus? We’re on a 6 night out of NOLA next month and I’m curious which menus we will have.

STATEROOM

We had a standard inside stateroom (11B) with a sideways configuration. If you plan to stay in an inside cabin, I highly recommend the sideways stateroom layout. The room felt much more open and spacious than I expected. This was the most comfortable cruise ship bed I've slept on by far. We had an awesome room steward and great room service experience.
Yes! Those sideways rooms are great!

I agree about online check in. The system crashed on us this weekend after entering all our info it never let us select a PAT. Called guest services the next morning and got the answer of multiple ships are checking in so the system is overloaded, just keep checking in. Really? How come other cruise lines somehow manage online checkin with larger and more numerous ships? Our NCL cruise this summer took maybe 5 minutes to check in

On the six night in the MDRs did you have the pirate night menu any night? I did a six-night a long time ago, and think I remember that each restaurant had 2 unique menus and there was no pirate menu (not a fan of the pirate menu). We're doing the six-night out of Galveston next January.

Do you remember what the other MDR menus were besides pirate night and the 3 regular dining room specific menus? We’re on a 6 night out of NOLA next month and I’m curious which menus we will have.
Unfortunately we did not have a Pirate Night menu that night, not sure why. We had 2 menus in each restaurant, the first 3 nights they were on the app only for us, so I guess those were the secondary menus for those restaurants. The last 3 nights we got physical menus for the 3 MDR specific menus.

Unfortunately we did not have a Pirate Night menu that night, not sure why. We had 2 menus in each restaurant, the first 3 nights they were on the app only for us, so I guess those were the secondary menus for those restaurants. The last 3 nights we got physical menus for the 3 MDR specific menus.
Interesting. That definitely wouldn’t make me sad as I don’t care for that menu. You still had a pirate night with fireworks though, correct?

Thank you so much for this review! We sail on the Magic in April and I am glad to hear she looks good before her dry dock. I think we are the 2nd to last sailing before that so I fear she will be ragged! But I know DCL cares for their ships and that shows.

Thank you so much for this review! We sail on the Magic in April and I am glad to hear she looks good before her dry dock. I think we are the 2nd to last sailing before that so I fear she will be ragged! But I know DCL cares for their ships and that shows.

We're sailing January 2024 and I haven't seen much information on the dry dock - is there a good article that lists what if anything will change? Or I wonder if it's just a refurbishment (new carpet, etc.)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter