• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney like to break the ruuuules....(protesters/union members strike mentioned)

I was on the boards a few weeks ago trying to decide between Park Vue Inn, or Paradise Pier for about $200 more.

Boy am I glad I'm a cheapo! I would be LIVID if that happened to me there. Or anywhere on vacation.

No I was right, they are scabs. I do not care if they are union members or what, people who act that way are scabs.

We kept thinking there must be a secret bank of them somewhere we didn't know about but nope..that was it.

When going UP to your room, take the glass elevator. It's sort of sitting there in the middle of the lobby, not next to the main elevators.

No I was right, they are scabs. I do not care if they are union members or what, people who act that way are scabs.

The word "scab", when it has to do with Unions, has a specific definition.

OP, hopefully, overall, you still had a nice vacation with your family, for which you worked so hard to afford.

I think the point is that they are making you aware. They are making Disney aware that you are aware. Both of which occurred.

You can make up your own definition if you want, but in the discussion of unions, "scabs" are:

"(1): a worker who refuses to join a labor union (2) : a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended (3) : a worker who accepts employment or replaces a union worker during a strike (4) : one who works for less than union wages or on nonunion terms"

per Merriam-Webster dictionary.

- Dreams

When going UP to your room, take the glass elevator. It's sort of sitting there in the middle of the lobby, not next to the main elevators.

The word "scab", when it has to do with Unions, has a specific definition.

That one seemed just as busy and the wait seemed just as long. It was also much smaller and we were a party of 4 adults and 2 kids so it never seemed to work out.

That one seemed just as busy and the wait seemed just as long.

Drat. Guess the secret is out!

DDreams, I don't understand.

"I think the point is that they are making you aware. They are making Disney aware that you are aware. Both of which occurred. "

What are they making anyone aware of? That Disney doesn't follow the rules? WHAT rules? They were almost certainly using *hired* people to pretend to be picketers, and if tradition holds, THEY are the ones not talking to Disney. What are they making anyone aware of? All they have done in the past is lie.

Okay. So we went to stay at the Paradise Pier Hotel. It was great, actually. For the very first time since we have been staying on property at DLR (about 3 times a year for the last 10 years) we got an upgraded room just out of the blue. That was beyond wonderful! We paid for a concierge room with a theme park view (so pretty good at that hotel)--but they ended up giving us a suite! The suite was overlooking California Adventure--and it had an awesome view. We were so happy with it. It had 2 bathrooms and an extra room--plus the great veiw.

The only complaint I have at this hotel is that:
1. The elevators are really slow and very packed. It is pretty bad. You hear guests talking about it in the lobby, in the elevators, and just around the hotel. They have an elevator problem. They need to address that eventually.

2. Concierge has pretty bad food. It isn't food poinsoning bad, but it is bagged bagel (like a cut rate Thomas's white bread bagel) bad. Breakfast is cheap danish (the kind you can buy at Safeway in boxes) and cheap bagels. Some cereal thrown in, but nothing hearty. The night time offerings were the same re-heated tortilla chips and really bad hot appetizers (southwest spring rolls).

But other than that, great beds (super firm yet plush), nice decor and beautiful views if you spring for the the theme park view.

But then, I bring you to the Union Protester segment of the vacation. Apparently those disney union protesters (and apparently Disney has MANY unions--not just one) love the Paradise Pier Hotel because it doesn't have a private property buffer zone. The public property is right on the street outside this hotel, so they can make their disturbance very clear to paying guests.

So, after staying up with my girls till 1:30 a.m. after the Halloween party, and promising them we will not only sleep in very late on our last day, but will get room service--the protesters had another plan. They were outside our window at 6 am screaming into a megaphone AND microphone "Disney like to break the ruuuules...we don't like your attitude" over and over add nauseum for hours. we literally couldn't even stay in our room because it was so loud and disruptive. We left and went to airport early (by 3 hours) in order to get some peace.

It was so bad. I wanted to dump a bucket of ice on the guy singing the chants! But that isn't good enough. Instead he must save up for many months working as a special education aide to take his daughters on a dream vacation, and then be awoken at the crack of dawn to annoying chants that drive him from his hotel room in a panic. Oh wait, that is what happened to me. So yeah, that.
I just looked up the noise ordinances for the city of Anaheim, they may not have a noise level higher than 60 Decibels if it will impact neighboring properties.

There are some exceptions, but those exceptions are not available until 7:00 A.M. and in most cases not available after 8:00 P.M. (Disney themselves get some exceptions for the fireworks and such)

For anyone else that may get affected by this, please keep this in mind, call, the police and cite Anaheim Noise Ordinances (freely available on the city of Anaheim's website). It is Section 6.70 if you would like that as well.

My suggestion to the OP is to call Disney and see if they will do anything to make up for this, they should have called the cops to put a stop to the unlawful noise.

Oh holy crap. I WOULD have dumped water on them. Do they realize that they're ruining people's vacations? Oh, right, they do. How awful.

I think you might actually be able to accomplish this from the roof at this hotel, since that is where the pool is....water dropping from about 15 stories hmm....interesting thought.

Seriously, I would still call Disney and would have called the police, there are noise ordinances on the books for a reason.

As others have said, don't get me started on that union. They are being disruptive just to be disruptive. Their tactic is to have enough guests complain to Disney that Disney will agree to their terms. When in fact it's THEY who refuse to sit down with Disney to negotiate, and Disneyland has 32 unions--31 of which agreed to the very favorable terms offered my Disney and they're the only hold-out. The bizarre thing is that the offer from Disney is BETTER than what they're getting from the union. They're just paying people to protest for the sake of embarrassing Disney. I'm sorry your last day was ruined by those jerks.

Please do call Anaheim PD next time. They are very concerned about securing the area around Disneyland for all locals and tourists.

I first started staying there when Disney first took over and it was the Disney Pacific hotel...elevators were a joke then and sounds like they still are!! We no longer stay there due to that and it's the furthest from the parks. Plenty of elevators over at GCH thankfully :) Anyway...those people outside were being jerks and I would call the cops no problem! I cannot believe that they stoop so low to try to get attention and ruin people's disney magic. I want to get in the car and drive by with some water balloons right about now...

I think Dreams means that their entire point is to be jerks and get us to complain to Disney about their noise. In the hopes that if Disney is bothered enough they'll cave...but it sounds like they do not even want that so idk. Those people need to get a life.

I wanted to let you guys know that I spoke to the desk that morning (in my bathrobe) and they said that they wouldn't call the police, but I could. I really think they should at least do that, but I imagine it is a sticky situation dealing with the unions.

The desk clerk was very nice. First she offered me:
1. late check out (I told her there was no way we were checking out late--we were all exhausted but just wanted to get away from the dude with the microphone).

then she said:

2. I can give you a discount off for one night. I said that this night was ruined for us, and I don't think that is enough for what we paid. She said she would give it to me, and then gave me the number for guest services--promising me that they would take care of me when I called at home.

I called when I got home, and guest services said that they see that I got a discount, and they consider that the matter is closed after that. I told them what the clerk said, and she said that she is sorry I was "misled", but once I was given the discount on our room rate, the matter was closed.

So that is it. I did lilke this hotel overall very much, but am a bit leary about staying there again due to the fact that it seems to be a target for the protestors. We are going in December again and have reservations there, but I may change them to the Disneyland Hotel or Grand California.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter