Disney Job: In The Likely Scenario That I Am Not Hired... Advice?

Danislee

Mouseketeer
Good news first: My husband and I are probably going to move closer to Orlando because he's been offered a job.Barring something like a sudden lack of funding or serious illness, he is probably going to take the job. We are currently in Central Florida with my cousin while figure out where we'd like to move our tiny house.

I just finished applying to a part time position at Disney, because why not? I do not have any hospitality experience, but I do have related experience in customer service heavy positions. I considered applying for a full time position, but since my experience isn't specifically in hospitality, I thought I'd have better odds at a part time job.

However, I know this is Disney and they get a lot of applicants with a lot of experience etcetera. So, in the likely event I'm not hired, what would you recommend I do in the interim 180 days before I am eligible to apply again?

Here are a few things I've considered:
- Improving my Spanish and ASL (I don't consider myself fluent so I did not add that to my application.)
- Taking a job specifically in hospitality or theme park if I can find one.
- Begin Hospitality courses at local community college for a certification. (I have a BA and an MLS.)

If I can't get a job within the hospitality field, I'm comfortable working in another field for the interim. I am not in a financial position that requires me to have a job at present, but I would certainly prefer it.

If more information about my academic and professional background are helpful, I'm happy to answer any questions.

I think it really depends on your interests.

I don't think you'd have much trouble getting a hospitality job. It depends on what you mean by hospitality, but it's a broad field and usually someone is hiring for something. Are you ok with housekeeping? Working nights? I found both of those fairly easy to find.

But maybe working on your Spanish and entering a hospitality program would be of more use. If you attend a local program, your teachers may have ideas about networking or the local job market that could give you a leg up.

I don't know how much of Disney's workforce are CP and how much is local hire. I don't think lack of experience hurts you there, necessarily, but I don't think a Disney job that you can get with no experience would be something that great. I know a few ex- CMs and from what I was told, pay and upward mobility were not great for permanent workers. But they may have been wrong and perhaps the job comes with decent benefit options. (The latter would matter if I was in your shoes- There are employers that pay minimum wage but have good benefit options, and that's what I'd look for.)

BUT...I'm looking at it from an objective standpoint and you may be at a point in your life that you just really want to work for Disney regardless of other considerations. Good luck!

P.S. go apply for the full time job if you qualify. Can you only apply to one job every 180 days? Experience counts towards getting hired, but doesn't really determine part time or full time.

Thanks for your reply! I'm not really looking for housekeeping. But I would do that or work nights if necessary.

As far as experience, I was a librarian and before that an office manager, so I do have experience working with the public. And I've also worked at a pizza place, so food is also an option.

If I end up with a night job I may start school during the day.

Thanks for the answer. And unfortunately it won't let me apply for the FT. But I marked open availability, so we'll see.

I applied for WDW when I was 20 with absolutely no prior work experience nor a second language. I was offered three positions to choose from. I ended up turning the jobs down (went with a different company), but I say this because I feel like you won't have a problem getting hired. As long as you are warm and friendly in your interview and show that you are passionate about Disney I think you will be fine :)

If it doesn't turn out that way, there are thousands of other hospitality jobs in the area.

I think improving your Spanish is an excellent idea! I know if I lived in an urban area with a large Spanish-speaking population, and had time and money to spare, I'd do just that!

Knowledge of Spanish will soon be a requirement for employment in many states, so I applaud you for wanting to achieve fluency. I think you're gonna do fine! Buena suerte!

Learning Spanish will definitely help! My cousins live in Orlando, all work in hospitality, and it's helped their chances a great deal. As far as finding positions, from what I can tell it seems fairly easy for them. One went from being housekeeping manager at Nickelodeon Suites to managing a tour desk at a large resort hotel. The other has always worked in the rental car business, and another has always worked for vacation home brokers.

I studied 4 years of Spanish in school. Im, conversational. And I've used at my current job, but only because their language services are horrible and I feel bad for the people we serve.

I studied 4 years of Spanish in school. Im, conversational. And I've used at my current job, but only because their language services are horrible and I feel bad for the people we serve.

If you get an interview I would definitely mention that to the interviewer. Even a basic knowledge of Spanish can be helpful in hospitality. If you really want to give yourself an edge, learn some Brazilian Portuguese.

I did include "Conversational Spanish" on my resume. (And am fully prepared to be completely honest about my capabilities.)

I don't have much to add as I know little about hospitality besides staying at TONS of hotels, but I did want to say "good luck" and with your education, I bet you get something interesting!

Well, it's been three weeks. I know that's not much time, and that there was a holiday, but I can't find the job I applied for on the website. In my Dashboard it still says open, but I can't find the posting. No emails or phone calls. On the positive side, I'm now in Kissimmee and one of my new neighbors already works at Disney, so after the 6 month window is up, I'm hoping with her insight I'll have a better chance.

H/H means Host/Hostess. Pretty much all jobs have that designation along with whatever else the position entails.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter