Disney is really pushing phone usage!

We returned Sat. I was given paper menus, but every time asking, waitstaff mentioned I could scan the QR code. I told them my phone wouldnt work with that and a couple asked to see. I had to show them it didnt work (Kona/B&C)! Worst was Beaches and Cream. Not only did I have to show the waitress, she then said "Let me see if we have any more paper menus". After 5 or so minutes, she came back to the table saying "Still looking". Probably 5 minutes after than she brought me one.

I would definitely write an email to Disney about that. We never had an issue when asking for paper menus. We must have been there the same time as we were at YC from Thurs to Monday this past weekend. I am so obnoxious I would have told the server I wanted to speak to the manager before I showed them my phone. That is crazy. You have WAY more patience than I have, for sure. I need to learn to have more of that these days.

I lost my phone charger somewhere at Disney and had found out the long hard way that they dont sell them anywhere on property for Android, only IPhone :( ( I checked several resorts and many stores in the MK) Luckily my DD was with me and could use hers. Disney is really pushing phone usage. Most restaurants want you to scan the QR code for the menus. Most QS requires mobile ordering, New Genie will require phone/app, Magic bands still work, but they are pushing phone use for park entry/room entry etc...

I barely use my phone at home. Its mostly a camera for me and I am not tech savvy. This will be a problem for me in the future and Im sure there are many like me out there who will struggle too with the technology! The MDE app alone drains the battery quickly and without a charger youre doomed.

At one point I was gauging which apps on my phone drained it fasted and the MDE app was number one. That is a real problem
for some of us , I am the family member using my phone to book everything so it goes first.

Mine too. 1st cell phone was 1992 :)
View attachment 599807

1st computer in the early 80's......Commador 64!

I rarely use my cell phone and I dont feel like Im missing out on anything. And for a fact, I have much better social skills than any of my children and I dont have text neck, which I see often these days, especially teens.
I wondered what the neck issue was called that you get from looking down too much at your phone. My doctor told me she got neck strain from being hunched over her iPad when she was trying to pick out all the stuff she had to pick out for the new house she built. So now I know it is called text neck.

Text neck is pretty permanent, unless you correct it quickly.

View attachment 599835

View attachment 599836
Wow I am gonna show my daughter this. As she always joking with her dad about how he is always hunched over when he sit. Now she needs to worry about her own posture because she is always in this position when on her phone. But in all seriousness that's scary if that is really a permanent condition from looking down at at phones constantly

I havent read thru all the pages, but I totally agree! We are here now, and Canadian so dont typically even bring our phone to the parks, and have no interest in mobile ordering as we exchange cash when we go to the US. We felt like we were being punished when we said we didnt want to mobile order and wanted to pay cash..at abc commisary we were abruptly told (after being given the mobile order spiel) "line at the end", another time at flame tree that "he couldnt guarantee that it wouldnt be way longer than just doing a mobile order", and at cosmic rays we were sent to a line outside where they were letting 1 party in at a time at 1115 am and it was pretty much empty inside...all QS places we went had 1 person taking orders, with a substantial line..truly felt like a punishment. Also, at Sci Fi we went to check in and they said we had to check in on the app, so I moved to the side and stood next to them but my wifi was going in and out so took me about 5 mins to finally check in online, with no one else checking in at the time it would have taken the 3 cast members standing there 30 seconds to do so. I get that times are changing and its a techy world and I also love forward thinking technology, but I feel like maybe making it an even 50/50 would be fair, not making us feel like outcasts.

I havent read thru all the pages, but I totally agree! We are here now, and Canadian so dont typically even bring our phone to the parks, and have no interest in mobile ordering as we exchange cash when we go to the US. We felt like we were being punished when we said we didnt want to mobile order and wanted to pay cash..at abc commisary we were abruptly told (after being given the mobile order spiel) "line at the end", another time at flame tree that "he couldnt guarantee that it wouldnt be way longer than just doing a mobile order", and at cosmic rays we were sent to a line outside where they were letting 1 party in at a time at 1115 am and it was pretty much empty inside...all QS places we went had 1 person taking orders, with a substantial line..truly felt like a punishment. Also, at Sci Fi we went to check in and they said we had to check in on the app, so I moved to the side and stood next to them but my wifi was going in and out so took me about 5 mins to finally check in online, with no one else checking in at the time it would have taken the 3 cast members standing there 30 seconds to do so. I get that times are changing and its a techy world and I also love forward thinking technology, but I feel like maybe making it an even 50/50 would be fair, not making us feel like outcasts.
I feel your pain. I had the exact same experiences on all of my trips since Covid. I especially love the part about having to check in at a restaurant with your cell phone when you are...standing...right...there in front of them.

I feel your pain. I had the exact same experiences on all of my trips since Covid. I especially love the part about having to check in at a restaurant with your cell phone when you are...standing...right...there in front of them.
Exactly. And "We'll text you when your table is ready" and getting the text before you turn around to walk away from the podium!! Glad I dont pay text rates, but some people do :(

General info is one thing, but now it is necessary to buy a drink (at least it was at the Contemporary), they are pushing it to get into your room (magic bands still work, and are way more convenient), get into a virtual line on a ride (soon to be most rides), read a menu at every restaurant etc..etc.. Nothing is more convenient than the magic band and pulling your phone out only a couple of times per day. Not to mention the APP drains your battery so quickly there is no way you can last a day at Disney without 1, possibly 2, full recharges. And, it gets tricky on the APP when you are reading something and ADs come up with the smallest of "X" to get out of it. If you dont tap it just right, you open the AD. This is not the same APP as 2 years ago with just your plans and wait times on it. Its a full website and you have to navigate to each section, sifting through a lot of useless info and popups.

ALSO.... I am lucky to have an unlimited data/talk/text plan. The amount of texts I received about my room and dining reservations was ridiculous. At least 10 texts per room I had (2). Every dining venue sent me reminders then wanted my cell phone number to text me when my table was ready and more often than not, I received the text while I was still standing at the podium or had walked 3 steps away. What happened to calling names or those buzzer things?!!

I guess your experience with the app was vastly different than mine. We have magic bands. I've received one text per reservation/room, my battery lasted all day and my phone is old. I have unlimited talk/text/data so no concerns there. I can't recall getting ads on the app, maybe I wasn't looking in the right spot?? I like the app and using the phone for all the things you don't seem to like so I guess it's just an agree to disagree situation.

I just don’t even want to carry it. We don’t like carrying anything really. DH brings his wallet and I’ll grab my ID if I plan on having an adult beverage, but thats it. I wish we could do that at Disney with the same accessibility as those with phones. That’s all… It’s not about the actual usage for us.

I guess your experience with the app was vastly different than mine. We have magic bands. I've received one text per reservation/room, my battery lasted all day and my phone is old.

I received 1 text per room the day before I checked in. I also did online checkin, stating we would be there at 8am, as I wanted to use the bands for my kids to pay for their breakfast (They went to Ohana, I went to Kona) and get into the MK. I received another text, per room, stating our room was not ready (I knew that!) and proceeded to get updates every 45 minutes until 2:10 when our rooms were ready. Then I received the "Welcome" texts and info about direct to room (twice per room, which came in 2 texts each time 1/2, 2/2) Also texts for every restaurant that my table was ready (most times I was still at the podium and had just finished giving my cell phone number), then needed to scan the QR to see the menu (which my daughter did, as my phone didnt work doing that). My battery didnt last 1/2 the day. Samsung S8

I received 1 text per room the day before I checked in. I also did online checkin, stating we would be there at 8am, as I wanted to use the bands for my kids to pay for their breakfast (They went to Ohana, I went to Kona) and get into the MK. I received another text, per room, stating our room was not ready (I knew that!) and proceeded to get updates every 45 minutes until 2:10 when our rooms were ready. Then I received the "Welcome" texts and info about direct to room (twice per room, which came in 2 texts each time 1/2, 2/2) Also texts for every restaurant that my table was ready (most times I was still at the podium and had just finished giving my cell phone number), then needed to scan the QR to see the menu (which my daughter did, as my phone didnt work doing that). My battery didnt last 1/2 the day. Samsung S8

Interesting. Oh well. I have an S8 as well so not sure why it was so different. We were at the parks from 9-9 yesterday, got back to the room at about 9:45 PM and my phone was still at 75%.

Interesting. Oh well. I have an S8 as well so not sure why it was so different. We were at the parks from 9-9 yesterday, got back to the room at about 9:45 PM and my phone was still at 75%.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Unless you didnt use the MDE App...then MAYBE. Mine uses about 50% per 24 hours when I dont use it for anything other than a couple of texts and maybe one 20 minute phone call. If I put the MDE App on, it uses about 15% - 20% per hour.

Last edited:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
View attachment 600080

Unless you didnt use the MDE App...then MAYBE. Mine uses about 50% per 24 hours when I dont use it for anything other than a couple of texts and maybe one 20 minute phone call. If I put the MDE App on, it uses about 15% - 20% per hour.

I used the app, but I wasn't glued to my phone all day either. You do realize that different people have different settings and apps running in the background that use different power. I also wasn't connected to wifi because that drains more power on my phone. Sorry your phone just doesn't work well, maybe it's time for a new one?

Sorry your phone just doesn't work well, maybe it's time for a new one?
NEVER!! I have a custom Disney case for the S8 that I will never give up!!!!

I also go to device maintenance a couple of times per day and optimize, closing out background apps I dont even know are running. Ill have to check on the wifi drainage. You *could* be on to something. I have that set on "ON" all the time.

People thought ECVs and Strollers were bad before...

I agree! If you think it's bad now the new Genie will make it even worse as it tries to direct you to rides with smaller lines. You'll have zombies all over the park walking with the phones in their face not paying attention, walking into people, missing the amazing details of the parks.

Here is a tip if you lose your power cord, stop by most any front desk at a hotel and tell them. They usually have a bunch of them in a lost and found box.

Will they ever really move away from Magic Bands while they can still sell them?

Now they do, but they are pushing the phone usage and slowly moving away from Magic Bands/Menus etc..

Also, unless you had a phone and could use the mobile app, you are not getting an apple juice from Contempo :confused:

Will they ever really move away from Magic Bands while they can still sell them?

I don't think so; Disney never misses a chance to make a buck.

What I've noticed, though, is that almost every "special" MB I see when in the parks has an AP keeper on it. Passholders buy them like jewelry, but everyone else, not so much. My family certainly won't give them up unless we are forced to do so (for reasons I've already given upthread.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter