Disney is no longer an enjoyable experience

One thing to remember, the increased cost is not at all unique to WDW - I have not done the math but I'm sure most live entertainment/experiances have increased at a similar rate - not that long ago you could get decent seats at a major concert or pro game for under a hundred bucks, today that approaches $1k in some cases. Same for Broadway shows and the like. We all just notice it more when it's Disney and it's spread out over a week rather than 3 hours.

One thing to remember, the increased cost is not at all unique to WDW - I have not done the math but I'm sure most live entertainment/experiances have increased at a similar rate - not that long ago you could get decent seats at a major concert or pro game for under a hundred bucks, today that approaches $1k in some cases. Same for Broadway shows and the like. We all just notice it more when it's Disney and it's spread out over a week rather than 3 hours.
Yes prices have increased but Disney isn't the same as live entertainment. Its more comparable to other parks. While they have raised prices you can still get cheaper tickets to most and they treat their pass holders with respect. The issue they face is most Disney guests don't give them the time of day.

I'm a long time and frequent visitor, I've been going since 1982 and for the past 10 years or so at least twice a year sometimes more. So, under the reasoning of the long time guest who remembers the good ole days as opposed to the first time guest, I should hate the place and stomp my foot and go elsewhere. Nope. I've been 4 times since April 2021 and am going back in August. My son as been going since he was just shy of 3, he is 41 now and while he hasn't gone as often as I have, he still loves the place. As a matter of fact, last Sept. I took him, his SO and their 5 month old daughter. She had been once many years ago for only 2 days and had never stepped foot in Epcot. They are going back this Sept. The only reason we aren't going together is my AP expires Sept. 3 and I want to get one more trip with it. She couldn't get off work until a few weeks later. Even with all the construction at Epcot, the heat, the fact that with a baby they couldn't spend a whole lot of time in the parks and couldn't ride a lot of rides, she loved it.

I won't be renewing my AP but not because I'm making a statement or am dissatisfied. I'm 80% retired so will be living off savings until Dec. of 2023, when my SSI kicks in. I know I won't take but one trip after this upcoming one in August just because I don't want to dip too much into savings. If APs are offered again by Dec. 2023, I will most likely get one. I will still take one trip during that period but it will most likely be at a value or moderate, I usually stay at the Dolphin. I will still stay on site because I like the bubble. I didn't buy Genie+ when I was there in April and have no intention of buying it this coming Aug. trip. Not because of any dissatisfaction with it, I just don't need it. I didn't use FP or FP+ that much when it was offered either. Every once in awhile if we were standing in a line I would look to see if something we wanted to ride was available within 30 min. if so, I'd book it, if not we would go on with our day and stand in lines. While I'm not a fan of the park reservation system or the not being able to hop until 2, I make it work.

Can I go to Europe for cheaper? Maybe, but here is the thing. We don't all have that opportunity. My hubby doesn't like to travel so more often then not I go to WDW solo or with my son when he can make it. He is fine with that. I also have a few other places I take quick long weekend trips to, solo. No way would I want to go to Europe solo and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be happy about it. Of course, he wouldn't even try to prevent it but sometimes we have to compromise. Same goes with travelling around the US. Could I get on a plane and travel around the US, certainly. Would it be as fun solo? Most likely not. Could I go to Universal for less? Maybe. But I've tried it twice and just didn't enjoy it. I don't ride thrill rides, I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I wouldn't mind seeing that part. In order to get that whole experience I would have to buy their version of the park hopper so I've increased the price of the ticket just to see one land. Could I spend an entire week at Universal? I don't think so.

So, yes, Disney is still an enjoyable experience. Things change, heck, go back and look at the Dis community 10 years ago. Go back and watch the old shows. They have changed, a lot. Does that mean I should stop watching the shows or coming to these boards? I'm capable of not reading threads I'm not interested in, I'm able to not watch shows I'm not interested in. So, I continue to come, it's different but that's not always a bad thing.

I'm a long time and frequent visitor, I've been going since 1982 and for the past 10 years or so at least twice a year sometimes more. So, under the reasoning of the long time guest who remembers the good ole days as opposed to the first time guest, I should hate the place and stomp my foot and go elsewhere. Nope. I've been 4 times since April 2021 and am going back in August. My son as been going since he was just shy of 3, he is 41 now and while he hasn't gone as often as I have, he still loves the place. As a matter of fact, last Sept. I took him, his SO and their 5 month old daughter. She had been once many years ago for only 2 days and had never stepped foot in Epcot. They are going back this Sept. The only reason we aren't going together is my AP expires Sept. 3 and I want to get one more trip with it. She couldn't get off work until a few weeks later. Even with all the construction at Epcot, the heat, the fact that with a baby they couldn't spend a whole lot of time in the parks and couldn't ride a lot of rides, she loved it.

I won't be renewing my AP but not because I'm making a statement or am dissatisfied. I'm 80% retired so will be living off savings until Dec. of 2023, when my SSI kicks in. I know I won't take but one trip after this upcoming one in August just because I don't want to dip too much into savings. If APs are offered again by Dec. 2023, I will most likely get one. I will still take one trip during that period but it will most likely be at a value or moderate, I usually stay at the Dolphin. I will still stay on site because I like the bubble. I didn't buy Genie+ when I was there in April and have no intention of buying it this coming Aug. trip. Not because of any dissatisfaction with it, I just don't need it. I didn't use FP or FP+ that much when it was offered either. Every once in awhile if we were standing in a line I would look to see if something we wanted to ride was available within 30 min. if so, I'd book it, if not we would go on with our day and stand in lines. While I'm not a fan of the park reservation system or the not being able to hop until 2, I make it work.

Can I go to Europe for cheaper? Maybe, but here is the thing. We don't all have that opportunity. My hubby doesn't like to travel so more often then not I go to WDW solo or with my son when he can make it. He is fine with that. I also have a few other places I take quick long weekend trips to, solo. No way would I want to go to Europe solo and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be happy about it. Of course, he wouldn't even try to prevent it but sometimes we have to compromise. Same goes with travelling around the US. Could I get on a plane and travel around the US, certainly. Would it be as fun solo? Most likely not. Could I go to Universal for less? Maybe. But I've tried it twice and just didn't enjoy it. I don't ride thrill rides, I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I wouldn't mind seeing that part. In order to get that whole experience I would have to buy their version of the park hopper so I've increased the price of the ticket just to see one land. Could I spend an entire week at Universal? I don't think so.

So, yes, Disney is still an enjoyable experience. Things change, heck, go back and look at the Dis community 10 years ago. Go back and watch the old shows. They have changed, a lot. Does that mean I should stop watching the shows or coming to these boards? I'm capable of not reading threads I'm not interested in, I'm able to not watch shows I'm not interested in. So, I continue to come, it's different but that's not always a bad thing.
Just wondering where you live. I think if I lived closer I’d still go

Yes prices have increased but Disney isn't the same as live entertainment. Its more comparable to other parks. While they have raised prices you can still get cheaper tickets to most and they treat their pass holders with respect. The issue they face is most Disney guests don't give them the time of day.
I think it's closer to a combination of other parks AND live entertainment. I haven't been to a 6 flags in a decade or 2 but I recall very little live entertainment, parades, world class fire works shows (Disney has 3 per night this summer). Maybe Universal is closer in those extras but, surprise surprise, the cost is similar and they have been charging for their FP for years. The bottom line is it's worth is different for each family, and there's plenty of other vacation choices if you don't see the worth.

I think it's closer to a combination of other parks AND live entertainment. I haven't been to a 6 flags in a decade or 2 but I recall very little live entertainment, parades, world class fire works shows (Disney has 3 per night this summer). Maybe Universal is closer in those extras but, surprise surprise, the cost is similar and they have been charging for their FP for years. The bottom line is it's worth is different for each family, and there's plenty of other vacation choices if you don't see the worth.
Cedar Fair does a great job with entertainment and parades. Their flagship park has an amazing evening celebration all through July and August. Like I said earlier most Disney guests aren't ride people. You proved my point in not visiting other parks much. I will add the majority of Disney guests couldn't handle the best coaster in the US in Steel Vengeance

Last edited:
Just wondering where you live. I think if I lived closer I’d still go
That’s us. We live within driving distance. There are some things I have been unhappy with, but DS (4) really enjoys it (so we do too). We also renew our APs so don’t feel like we have to do everything when we go so it takes the pressure off. We like 3-4 days trips where we just do our favs. Now when I go with family or friends who don’t or can’t go often, I see a lot of the issues that ppl frequently bring up.

Take your family skiing and see what that costs
I don't think the cost is the problem though. It's paying more and getting less, or not enjoying the way things are run. I don't mind paying for my vacation... it's about perceived value for many of us. That marker is different for everyone. It just seems like recently with all the changes, that marker has been reached by many people.

Th
Cuz giving back to your community is a bad thing?

Oh no the horror more library hours!? How dare they! A senior center!? I mean come on!
The better question to ask the city is where has all their other tax dollars gone? Most cities and states are flush with cash after Covid stimulas and all that delayed spending (and tax dollars attached to it) that's starting to hit now. FL has gigantic budget surpluses this year, why is CA so different?

And what assurances do we have that the new tax will only pay for those admirable things? Government has never been known to divert funds, have they? 🙄

You do you!

We have a trip planned in a few weeks and will enjoy it like we always do.

I for one totally approve of those that want to boycott Disney for political reasons doing so. I'll even give the boycotters the most crucial dates to boycott. That they will coincide with the dates I am going is purely coincidence.

So, I am an out of state AP holder, DVC member who lives about an 8 hour drive to WDW. For the record, I am also a Carowinds Season Pass holder, and last year was a Six Flags and KSC season pass holder.

We go to WDW fairly often.

I debated with renewing or not renewing our AP this year. Multiple reasons, not all Disney related. In the end, I did renew, but strictly as a economic decision. We have a family trip planned for next April, and comparing the renewal price vs. a 5 day parkhopper, then adding in the cost of parking (5x25=$125), the cost of the AP was not that much more. And it would allow us to make additional long weekends.

We should first realize that Disney is not in a bubble. Yes, we complain about price increases, and lack of services, but similar things are happening to other companies across the country.

The one thing that has bothered me, is that when it came to Disney, I never had an issue with paying a premium price for a premium product. However, I have felt more recently that the premium is not matching up.

Now, please do not get me wrong. We love going, we consider ourselves very blessed to be able to do so. We do enjoy ourselves when we go. I am very glad to see more things “returning to normal”. But I also am noticing some things. Last week we were walking to Rock'n Rollercoaster, as we saw two cast members walking out “The Gates”. While the older (still younger than me) female cast member was impeccably dressed in their costume, the collage age male walking with her had his shirt untucked. He looked “messy”. He kept “announcing” the ride was closed. Yes, he was doing his job, but not in the Disney Style, if you know what I mean.

On the same trip, there were several places where I noticed garbage where it should not have been. Drink bottles and snack wrappers just tossed at the loading area of Haunted Mansion, garbage including a dirty diaper in the Epcot parking lot. Yes, I think this says a lot about our society, but it is also something that I felt in the past, Disney would have cleaned up much quicker. Similar to that broken window theory.

But I also understand, when you cannot get the help in, you have to prioritize what you have people doing.

On the flip side, what I can say positive about this last trip, any of the cast members that we interacted with were much more upbeat than what we have seen in the past couple of years. So, hopefully the morale is getting better.

Th

The better question to ask the city is where has all their other tax dollars gone? Most cities and states are flush with cash after Covid stimulas and all that delayed spending (and tax dollars attached to it) that's starting to hit now. FL has gigantic budget surpluses this year, why is CA so different?

And what assurances do we have that the new tax will only pay for those admirable things? Government has never been known to divert funds, have they? 🙄
This isn't about the state of CA, this is about the City of Anaheim. Disney campaigning against investing back into their community is icky. Plus according to the very article you posted when Disney was advised they would need to pay more than minimum wage they asked for their agreement into the investment in their parks in lieu of tax requirement to be dropped. Icky icky.

Lots of places use tax dollars for community stuff it's actually those places you want to live. As the saying goes money doesn't grow on trees :)

Everyone can agree you want places to be fiscally responsible but that doesn't mean you can sustain without funds forever or just continuously cut. Unless Anaheim has a history of saying funds will be used for X but instead are used for Y the thought that they are planning on using the funds to construct a "public pool, restore seven-day library services, build a senior center, and hire more police officers and firefighters." should not be cause for grave controversy as if how dare they.

In my area at the county level they have 2 Med-Act Stations for 2 different cities as well as an improved Household Hazardous Waste Facility being largely impacted by inflation. They were accounted for in the 2021 budget (project planning started 2019-2020) but inflation has hit hugely. A normal 4-5% they build in is looking around to be 33-40% increase in construction costs. Another thing is when the Med-Act Stations were planned Covid-19 wasn't around. Now industry-wide these places have to be adjusted such as "shifted from communal bunk bed style designs to individual sleep areas", they said that might seem like a minor detail and normally it would be but not with inflation costs impacting things so badly. The estimated shortfall is presently $3.7 million on those projects, we'll see how they end up.

As with a lot of things if all you're getting is quick sound bites you're probably not getting the actual story. If your sound bite is you'll be paying higher on ticket prices because mean 'ole City of Anaheim wants more money..you're getting a way different picture of the situation.

I just saw a video on FB about a big brawl at MK. Not sure if it was an old video, but man it was multiple people fighting and no security anywhere. This seems to be happening at Disney a lot lately. I guess that's what happens when you have crowds of people in the heat and tempers run short.

I just saw a video on FB about a big brawl at MK. Not sure if it was an old video, but man it was multiple people fighting and no security anywhere. This seems to be happening at Disney a lot lately. I guess that's what happens when you have crowds of people in the heat and tempers run short.
I've seen fights at the parks in both Florida and California over the years but it does seem to be getting much worse.

You won't see a CM near a brawl but if an adult is wearing a costume or proposing marriage...they'll swoop in very quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter