Disney is About the Take the Biggest Risk in the Company's 98-Year History

Kennywood

Kennywood
Disney is entertaining the notion of expanding the catalog of programs shown on its flagship streaming service -- Disney+ -- to include more adult content. The matter is reportedly causing heated debates among top brass at the House of Mouse, with CEO Bob Chapek reportedly pushing for edgier content on the platform while chairman and former CEO Bob Iger believes the company should stick to its time-honored strategy.

Thus far, there's been a clear delineation between the family-friendly fare on Disney+ and the adult-oriented programming shown on Hulu. Chapek argues that Disney+ needs to expand its library of content to attract a larger, more diverse (read "adult") audience, or risk missing out on future growth and ceding viewers to the likes of Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.

Source: Motley Fool

Seems a bit over-dramatic to call it the riskiest move in company history! I can think of several riskier points, like creating DL, creating DW, etc. But it would be a bold change, and one I sure hope doesn't happen. If there is already an outlet in the family of channels to run 'edgier' stuff, keep the family content.

Lowest Common Denominator here, Disney+ is failing to draw the numbers they anticipated and/or subscribers have since left the service once they realized that content just isn't there. Personally, I haven't logged into my account in months because there simply isn't anything left to watch. I'm not going to stream a Disney animated film when I probably have the DVD around someplace. I mean, what's the point?

Sure, the streaming service beats the (overly) commercial-heavy FreeForm, but at the end of the day, the rest of the filler content is stuff that we've lived without for all this time and have done quite well without it anyway. So now they need to figure out how to reach a non-built in fan base... adults or teens who hear 'Disney' and have zero interest in the service.

They need to go back into the vault and starting showing program line up they had when they first started pay for Disney Channel. It is the parents of the late 80s and 90s and grandparents that are going to "hook" the next generation. Even the educational programs were enjoyable back then. Quit pandering to the tween age only.

Lowest Common Denominator here, Disney+ is failing to draw the numbers they anticipated and/or subscribers have since left the service once they realized that content just isn't there. Personally, I haven't logged into my account in months because there simply isn't anything left to watch. I'm not going to stream a Disney animated film when I probably have the DVD around someplace. I mean, what's the point?

Sure, the streaming service beats the (overly) commercial-heavy FreeForm, but at the end of the day, the rest of the filler content is stuff that we've lived without for all this time and have done quite well without it anyway. So now they need to figure out how to reach a non-built in fan base... adults or teens who hear 'Disney' and have zero interest in the service.
Most cable tv is 'filler content'. I could fill my cat's litter box with 95% of it.

It's true - they do need to expand D+. I just canceled my annual D+ renewal ($80.year) and did the Black Friday Hulu deal for 99 cents/month ($12 year) - I figure I'll swap back once the Marvel material builds back up again b/c other than that and Nat Geo, my fam doesn't watch much on D+...

I don’t think it’s the programming, It’s the fact that you fall in love with one of their shows and you never know when a 2nd or 3rd season is returning. This has happened to me on a few of their shows. When there is a hit they need to keep the momentum going. What the hell happened to The Mandalorian and all that controversy that was happening behind the scenes? Keep that quite and just make a good show. How about Loki? It just seems like whoever is in charge of the programing timeline doesn’t know what they are doing Or they haven’t been given the budget to be ready with the next season. That is a skill of an experienced person in the Television industry Which I’m not sure they have here. Don’t get me wrong I love Disney+ and their shows have been fantastic. It’s the production timelines that are messing up Disney+ for me. I really enjoy most of the other content. The Historic documentaries are fabulous. The content is really enjoyable. I just get frustrated if a show I’m watching has no continuation.

I don’t think it’s the programming, It’s the fact that you fall in love with one of their shows and you never know when a 2nd or 3rd season is returning. This has happened to me on a few of their shows. When there is a hit they need to keep the momentum going. What the hell happened to The Mandalorian and all that controversy that was happening behind the scenes? Keep that quite and just make a good show. How about Loki? It just seems like whoever is in charge of the programing timeline doesn’t know what they are doing Or they haven’t been given the budget to be ready with the next season. That is a skill of an experienced person in the Television industry Which I’m not sure they have here. Don’t get me wrong I love Disney+ and their shows have been fantastic. It’s the production timelines that are messing up Disney+ for me. I really enjoy most of the other content. The Historic documentaries are fabulous. The content is really enjoyable. I just get frustrated if a show I’m watching has no continuation.

Loki might need to wait on the rest of the MCU, I think. Kang will be in the next Ant-Man movie, which doesn't come out until next summer.

I vote with Iger that Disney + streaming should stay with what made Disney special and different from all other forms of entertainment. Not everyone wants to see adult films on disney. There are numerous other streaming services that carry all those.
But I guess Chapek just wants to do anything at all to keep the money coming in for the shareholders.

I vote with Iger that Disney + streaming should stay with what made Disney special and different from all other forms of entertainment. Not everyone wants to see adult films on disney. There are numerous other streaming services that carry all those.
But I guess Chapek just wants to do anything at all to keep the money coming in for the shareholders.

I agree. I'd be fine with them gating it off under a seperate name, like they do with STAR overseas, even if you access it from the same app. I just don't think it should be mixed in indiscriminantly though.

It might also be a way to keep subscribers around for another year.

Disney has owned production companies that produce "edgier" content for years. And they didn't buy Fox for nothing. Of course they'd want it on the service they think can take on Netflix.

Makes sense. Disney+ doesn't have enough content. Now, I'd expect the more adult content to go to HULU. But that splits revenue streams. More streaming services is not good. As people feel the crunch of inflation, some services have to go.

I think this is a smart move to put all the Disney content under a larger umbrella rather than the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter