Disney Institute

MiknMinMouse

DIS Veteran
This debate started over on the DVC boards but my question was really more appropriate for these boards. There had been rumors of the DI being changed into a DVC resort and rumors of it just closing. if they closed that resort will the spa close as well? I love the spa at the Disney Institute, going there is always one of the highlights of my trip. I was so bummed when they stopped the classes as the the first year I was going to sign up for photo classes they closed the DI.

I don't think they gave the classes enough of a chance. You see something is available one year and you schedule it another year. By the time I was ready to go the classes were gone. I think they should bring them back but instead of making them multi day events make them single day events & arrange for transport to the site from other resorts.

Of course this will never happen.

Here's an expanded version of something I posted on the DVC board.

There's been much written about the Disney Institute on the DIS boards lately. Too many postings blur the distinction between the Disney Institute (training programs & facilities) and the Villas at Disney Institute (a mish-mash of various suite- and condo-style accomodations). These are two different things. Sure, someone could stay at the Villas while attending an Institute training program -- which is what was originally hoped -- but that doesn't tie the fate of the Institute and its Villas together forever. The Instutute has already completely changed it focus since being launched, and the Villas represent essentially just another on-site hotel.

First, let's look at the "rumors of it [Disney Institute] just closing." When it comes to the Villas, that's not just a rumor -- it's news. The closing appears to be partial and temporary. (However, who knows when and in what form the Villas will reopen?)
From http://www.orlandosentinel.com/
"DISNEY INSTITUTE IS LATEST VICTIM OF TOURISM SLIDE ; THE RESORT WILL STAY OPEN, BUT MANY OF THE ROOMS WILL BE CLOSED IN JANUARY."
[METRO Edition] Robert Johnson, Sentinel Staff Writer; Orlando Sentinel; Nov 29, 2001;

Abstract:
[Bill Warren] said the cutbacks at Disney Institute aren't an indication that more resorts will face major room closures. He said the Disney Institute and Port Orleans resort were targeted after the Sept. 11 travel slowdown as likely spots to close large numbers of rooms because of especially low guest demand.

The educational program at the Disney Institute has changed from one that caters to individuals to one that caters to groups, such as groups of corporate executives. Along these lines, the Disney Institute merged with Disney University. However, I'm told that if you can get fifteen people together who want to take a cooking class, you can still sign up -- but they're going to expect once check to cover everybody. They no longer schedule classes that have to proceed whether one person or twenty sign up. Yes, this means the Disney Institute, as originally envisioned, was a failure -- but it doesn't mean it's out of business.

Next, let's look at the "rumors of the DI being changed into a DVC resort."

Someone originally attributed the source of the rumor to a WDW bus driver. (They know everything, right?)

The rumor was rejected on the basis that Disney Institute is a failure, and it has too much baggage, and the training program wouldn't fit in, and it just won't work as part of DVC. These arguments assume that the Disney Institute is a single entity which can't be broken up.

But the Disney Institute and the Villas at Disney Institute can be broken up -- and not just into two entities.

The Villas at Disney Institute are actually five different kinds of accomodations that were brought together under one name. (Remember the old Fairway Villas and Treehouse Villas?) They could be split up again. Some could be sold to another lodging company, or could be torn down so the land could be redeveloped, or could be renamed, or could remain branded as the Villas at Disney Institute -- or could be turned into timeshare accomodations.

Imagine if the Treehouse Villas were turned into a small Disney Vacation Club resort. After all, a Treehouse Villas DVC resort would offer unique 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom villas with kitchens -- just the sort of accomodations that timeshare owners with families enjoy. Under this "what if" scenario, Disney Vacation Development would take title to the Treehouse Villas, bring them to tip-top condition, and sell them as DVC points. To keep expenses reasonable, check-in could be at the adjacent Old Key West (OKW) Resort, and there might be other opportunities to leverage OKW services.

Maybe this is a good idea. Maybe it's a bad idea.

The purpose of this posting is just to point out the the Disney Institute is not a single, monolithic entity, but a collection of at least six major parts, each of which could have a different long-term fate. And maybe, just maybe, one or more of those parts could see a DVC logo in the future.

Quick, what was the name of that bus driver?

Thanks for the post about the Disney Institute and DI Resort areas. I guess with the quick closing to the public of the classes I am afraid they'll take that line with the spa. I hated to see the classes close because they were a wonderful idea ~ maybe just not marketed well enough. And who is going to be able to get 15 people to make up a cooking class ya know. Ah well. It would be nice, however, to see them add back a few of the classes for the public. But as I've discovered when does anyone high up ever listen to the paying public.

I have no insight into the future of the Disney Institute Spa, but I imagine it's safe to say that if the Spa makes money, it will stay open. If it doesn't, it's unlikely. For the sake of fans of the Spa, I hope that the Spa has found its niche and attracts customers from all over the WDW resort and even from off site.

Regarding, the marketing of the Disney Institute, all I can say is that they spent a bundle in the first year to advertise in magazines that cater to people with money. They sent out tons of videos. And they generally made sure that their target audience would be aware of the Disney Institute.

I found this interesting: At the official Disney Institute Accomodations Page, they no longer list the Fairway Villas and the unique Treehouse Villas. They only list the bungalows, one-bedroom townhouses, and 2-bedroom townhouses. So what is the fate of the the Treehouse Villas? Does this add credibility to the rumor of transformation into a DVC resort (unlikely), or does this just mean the Fairway Villas and Treehouse Villas are closed until further notice due to lack of business (more likely)?

Originally posted by Werner Weiss
At the official Disney Institute Accomodations Page, they no longer list the Fairway and Treehouse Villas. They only list the bungalows, one-bedroom townhouses, and 2-bedroom townhouses. So what is the fate of the the Treehouse Villas? Does this add credibility to the rumor of transformation into a DVC resort (unlikely), or does this just mean the Fairway Villas and Treehouse Villas are closed until further notice due to lack of business (more likely)?

If you do a search on expedia, it lists the DI Villas (all of them) as completely unavailable (a fairly recent change). Curiously, Port Orleans (French Quarter and Riverside) and even Pop Century are still listed as "may have rooms available" (no, it won't let you book PC).

I actually kind of like the idea of the Villas as a DVC property - at least the Treehouses. They are by far the most distinctive (and most themed) of the Villas. Splitting the villas up into 2-3 different resorts might also be the best solution to filling these rooms long-term. It would be more economical than constructing Bonnett Creek at a time other WDW resorts are shuttered, transform a previously underperforming asset, yet provide expansion for DVC. How about Disney's Treehouse Resort for one such property?

How about Disney's Treehouse Resort for one such property?
I have to admit I find this concept very attractive. And I have daughter who would be thrilled. Every time we take the boat from Old Key West to Downtown Disney, she says, "Daddy, I really, really, want to stay in one of those!" as we cruise past the Treehouse Villas.

According to the Disney Institue FAQ at Deb Wills' WDWIG, there are 60 Treehouse Villas. They're separate from the other Disney Insitute accomodations, with their own entrance road off Community Drive.

If the Beach Club Villas sell as quickly as the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, the folks at Disney Vacation Development (DVD) will need something to sell before the as-yet-unnamed DVC resort at the Eagle Pines Golf Course opens.

There would be some big challenges in doing a conversion to DVC. I would have thought that the Treehouse Villas are all identical, but according to the FAQ, "The main bathroom is small and the master bathroom differs from villa to villa -- some have a shower only, while others have a round, deep tub (a bit like a big cup) as well as a shower." DVC owners expect consistent accomodations. Different views are bad enough, but at least the units should all be the same inside. The units would have to be brought back to "like new" (or "better than new") condition. (DVC owners wouldn't want an assesssment for new roofs after three years.) And the Treehouse Villas would continue to be stuck with difficiencies such as small bathrooms and less square footage than a typical 2-bedroom timeshare condo. I believe there's currently no pool, so DVD would need to add a pool to serve the Treehouse Villas. And the whole complex would need to meet Interval International's standards for a 5-star resort.

I realize that 60 units is a small resort, but by leveraging services from the adjacent Old Key West Resort, I would think that operating costs could be kept under control.

I don't expect such a conversion to happen, but I wonder if DVD has considered this scenario?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter