• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney in May,Will it be crowded and hot?

bunerabbit

Earning My Ears
We are taking our son to Disney May 12th.We are hoping it wont be too crowded or too hot.He will be seeing Disney for the first time and we cant wait to go.Can anyone tell me what it's like in the second week of May in Disney? :wave:

:wave: We are also going to Disney May 8th thru the 17th for our DD (4) and DS (15 months) first time. I've gone this same week twice before. There is very little if any rain (at least the last two times I went). The temps are usually warm to hot, but can vary. One trip, the first night dipped down to the upper 50s but during the days it was usually in the mid to upper 80s. There is very little humidity at that point. The crowds when I've gone have been moderate. You don't have to wait in line too long for anything. Just avoid the MK on Saturdays and you should be all set!!

We love to go in early May. The crowds are low, very few lines. We did not have to wait for any meals even without priority seating. Both times we have been there the weather was beautiful. Hot enough to swim but not unbearable.

I've also been in May and it wasn't unbearably hot - but certainly warm enough to take advantage of the pools. The crowds were heavier than my perferred times to visit (January - when its often too cold to enjoy swimming, and October - which I believe to be perfect - not too hot, not too cold, and smaller crowds).

But weather can be strange, so pack with that in mind and be aware of how to keep your son cool if it gets to 100.

Weather.com will have statistical information on temperature for that week.

here is your link:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/climatology/daily/USFL0372?climoMonth=5

May 12:
average high 88
average low 65
mean 76
record high 93
record low 56

If you are there a week, looks like you can expect it to be 1 or 2 degrees wrmer (on average) by the end of the week

May looks to be sandwitched between a very low precip month and a very high precip month - my guess would be less rain earlier.

Keep in mind these are averages and an individual day can vary greatly from the average.

Our trip last year started April 27 and went to May 4. They actually set record highs on 2 or 3 of those days...low 90s!
As for crowds, very, very dealable. I've heard middle May is when big crowds start...because mid-May is when colleges start to let out.
But I think you should be okay....not oppressive crowds.
As for the heat...hey, we're from New York...it was a nice break...and we got to swim every night.
Have fun!

When we went in the middle of May 2000 it was very nice. The lines were less than a 15 minute wait and it was nice out high 70's low 80's. We enjoy going in May.

We went in May last year and it was our best trip ever. We will be going again in earlier May this year. I second everything said above!

Loved May because of the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot. My DD is a flower nut. Weather was beautiful. But like someone else said, avoid MK on Saturdays. Lots of school groups were there for end of the year trips and it was a madhouse!!

After reading this thread, boy am I a happy camper. We are going May 17-24 and my concerns the same regarding rain, heat and crowds. Can't wait to see the flowers. And since we arriving late on a Saturday and leaving early on a saturday, we'll miss the crowds at MK.

Thanks to all for the advice!

The last two times I went in May, the parade and fireworks were only on Saturdays at the MK. I think that was partly the reason for the overload in the park (along with the Florida resident discount).

We always go in May. Crowds aren't bad and the weather is usually wonderful, mid to upper 80's. We'll be there this year May 10th to May 25th. See ya there.

One year, we went the 1st week of May and the weather was perfect. Low 80's.

Then, another year, we went around May 12 to 19 and it was in the around 96 - 98 the entire time! The only was to survive it was to hit the parks very early and then go to the pool - and then go back to the parks early evening. It was still in the 90's at 6 PM!

It's a shame the parks close earlier in May.

My family loves to go in May. Last Year we went the later part of May thru the 1st week of June. We had better weather and crowds the 1st week then the 2nd, we now say the earlier in May you go the better.

Seems like most have experienced comfortable to hot -- any chance it could get cool enough for long pants, sweatshirts, etc.?

and it was moderate crowds and Hot weather! We are going this year May 5th - 12th and are hoping it will be the same. It never got cold enough for long pants or tops while we were there last year!:Pinkbounc

On one of our trips in May (the week before Memorial Day), a cold front had just come thru, and the first night it was cold (sweatshirt and pants weather IMO). But it gradually warmed up. I wouldn't think it happens too often.

We'll be in WDW May 8-13....I see that MK is a bad idea for a Saturday, but what about Fridays?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter