Disney hurting for kitchen workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatour

DIS Veteran
I have lived in Jacksonville, FL for almost all of my life.

This morning I was listening to a local radio station and Disney was advertising for kitchen staff. Based on the the hourly wage and bonuses, they were looking for line cooks.

I don't ever recall Disney placing employment ads in the Jacksonville market

Food and Beverage workers are united under the UNITEHERE local 737 banner. From what reference articles found on a brief search, the contract expires 1 Oct 2022. Wages are set within the confines of union negotiation. The last round of negotiation affected approximately 38,000. The next round of negotiation, which will probably start in a few months, could be interesting with the labor situation as it currently stands.

Food and Beverage workers are united under the UNITEHERE local 737 banner. From what reference articles found on a brief search, the contract expires 1 Oct 2022. Wages are set within the confines of union negotiation. The last round of negotiation affected approximately 38,000. The next round of negotiation, which will probably start in a few months, could be interesting with the labor situation as it currently stands.

I'm pretty sure that in general a union wouldn't object to an employer paying higher than scale.

I’ll do it.
For $375,000/yr with full benefits, 4 weeks vacation per year, and a parking spot. Also, I’m gonna need a 40hour work week guarantee. I’m not as young as I used to be. I can’t be working overtime anymore.
I will do it for 60 hrs/week, $75,000/yr, full benefits, 4 wks A/L, parking spot. That's considerably less than the above offer.

Easy solution to this. Pay more.

We went out to eat Friday night, the waiter apoloigzed that they were short staffed because "no one wants to work anymore".

It's not that people dont want to work, its that people have had it with the low wages and being treated like crap. If you've got a labor shortage at your company, then you've got a pay issue.

I agree with pay better wages. I also have a friend in the childcare industry, which is understaffed, which means more work falls on her, and she sometimes has an aide and sometimes doesn't. Understaffing creates its own burden on the employees that are there, and they leave, and the understaffing gets worse.

I work part time in a cafe that pays well, but the issue is the company still has to make profit. So we consistently either have not enough people working or too many scheduled and you get sent home early.
So you have a choice of working 40+ hours and figuring out childcare or barely getting a paycheck. This has made many of the better staff members leave for either something salaried or a job with more guaranteed hours. Also, most of the people I work with have all had corporate careers or hospitality management but wanted part time work, so we aren’t a flaky bunch. I imagine some of this is happening at Disney too.

Easy solution to this. Pay more.

We went out to eat Friday night, the waiter apoloigzed that they were short staffed because "no one wants to work anymore".

It's not that people dont want to work, its that people have had it with the low wages and being treated like crap. If you've got a labor shortage at your company, then you've got a pay issue.
I'm curious, how do folks who don't work (whatever the reason may be) pay their bills?

I'm curious, how do folks who don't work (whatever the reason may be) pay their bills?

Most people I know that were working at restaurants moved into better paying jobs when the pandemic hit and they were laid off. While I know a lot of people that worked at Disney many moved on when laid off in 2020 to better paying jobs. Disney has historically not paid well so people are finding better and more stable jobs.

They find ways, it shouldn’t matter to us if they wanna work or not if they aren’t getting money from the government or getting money illegally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter