• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

There were similar complaints with similar lists of things that 'had to be changed' with FP+, too. There are things people hated about FP+, too. And things people hated about the original FP. It's all a matter of what works for people and what doesn't.
Funny you say this. I actually stumbled on an old thread on these boards when FP+ was being introduced to see how everyone reacted back then and everyone complained about how it was ruining the park experience and Disney will suffer for it because it will drive loyal guests away.

A tale as old as time perhaps…

Funny you say this. I actually stumbled on an old thread on these boards when FP+ was being introduced to see how everyone reacted back then and everyone complained about how it was ruining the park experience and Disney will suffer for it because it will drive loyal guests away.

It's a fair point, but I wonder if this time it will have a little more impact because of the timing of other initiatives, declining service, declining cleanliness, declining ease of getting food, etc. We never had an issue with FP+, but we are literally skipping Disney for the next couple of years, at least, after at least one big expensive trip there every year, and sometimes up to three, often at premium resorts. This new idea of charging for fast passes (which I am ok with), but excluding the best rides in each park and charging per-ride for those, just felt different than past initiatives and like Disney thought we were big suckers, particularly when combined with the already declining value and rising costs. I have no problem paying for premium experiences, but they have to be truly premium where the price is justified, which we aren't seeing here. I am sure the parks will be as packed as ever, but I do wonder if they will end up needing to offer more specials on rooms and tickets due to these recent initiatives. I have talked to several other families like us, and I don't ever recall this much rumbling on social media, so I can't imagine it won't have some impact.

Last edited:
It's a fair point, but I wonder if this time it will have a little more impact because of the timing of other initiatives, declining service, declining cleanliness, declining ease of getting food, etc. We never had an issue with FP+, but we are literally skipping Disney for the next couple of years, at least, after at least one big expensive trip there every year, and sometimes up to three, often at premium resorts. This new idea of charging for fast passes (which I am ok with), but excluding the best rides in each park and charging per-ride for those, just felt different than past initiatives and like Disney thought we were big suckers, particularly when combined with the already declining value and rising costs. I have no problem paying for premium experiences, but they have to be truly premium where the price is justified, which we aren't seeing here. I am sure the parks will be as packed as ever, but I do wonder if they will end up needing to offer more specials on rooms and tickets due to these recent initiatives. I have talked to several other families like us, and I don't ever recall this much rumbling on social media, so I can't imagine it won't have some impact.
Maybe, maybe not. Those who are upset will always be the most vocal. Personally we have had great trips this year (both before and after G+) and look forward to being there tonight, and we have had friends who in the past month had said nothing but great things about their trips. Doesn’t mean everyone has had my experience nor yours. But I do not put much stock in anecdotal evidence or what people are saying, good or bad. It’s what people do. And right now people are going to WDW. Doesn’t mean it won’t change, but no one can really predict the future. Only time will tell.

What we do know is that claims such as these have been made on these boards any time Disney makes a change, whether for better or worse.

The change I find most upsetting is reports of declining cleanliness. The food changes I'm not upset about because we'll have a car and park hoppers, so Disney dining budget is much lower now. Shows/entertainment still being at 50% is inexcusable. As is the lack of trams. But, those last two I can put out of my mind while in the park. But not overflowing trash cans.

Looks like SDD went quicker than MMRR this morning. I wonder if they will switch those 2 with regards to G+/$ILL after the holidays.

Looks like SDD went quicker than MMRR this morning. I wonder if they will switch those 2 with regards to G+/$ILL after the holidays.
Part of the problem, and I doubt it's the main reason, but MMRR and 2 other ILL$ downgraded to G+ rides (frozen & Space Mountain) weren't available until 7:15 this morning.

Yikes. Longest wait time in any park right now is Frozen Ever After at 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I realize that wait times are inflated, but still.....

Just wanted to report that I was able to book MMRR for my second Genie+ selection today…I booked Slinky at 7 am for 1:15-2:15 and then at 10:30 I was able to get MMRR for 6:20-7:20. I was able to get TSMM at 12:30 for 6:55-7:55. The park was busy this morning (touring plans had it as an 8) so I was presently surprised.

Just wanted to report that I was able to book MMRR for my second Genie+ selection today…I booked Slinky at 7 am for 1:15-2:15 and then at 10:30 I was able to get MMRR for 6:20-7:20. I was able to get TSMM at 12:30 for 6:55-7:55. The park was busy this morning (touring plans had it as an 8) so I was presently surprised.
Sounds like a good use of Genie! Good news for my Friday!

Looks like Disney is trying to add more availability by changing the LL to standby ratio. On WDWmagic a poster at Disney now posted that they were Kali and they were loading 50LL to every 5-10 standby.

Looks like Disney is trying to add more availability by changing the LL to standby ratio. On WDWmagic a poster at Disney now posted that they were Kali and they were loading 50LL to every 5-10 standby.

I think this is probably accurate…standby lines were long the past few days, but Genie+ availability was good! Good for those that plan to buy, not so good for those that don’t.

It wasn’t everyone who was complaining. Our family always preferred FP+ to the paper system because it worked better for us.

But there was a very vocal and prolific group of posters who hated FP+ to the point that they suggested it might bring down the Disney company. Some of them even went so far as to suggest that anyone who touted the positives of FP+ must be a compensated representative of Disney.

I was part of some “interesting” exchanges in those days. I think the discussion about Genie+ has been a lot more civil.

Can you explain this? I thought you couldn't get your second selection until you used you first. I tried getting another selection today several hours after making my first selection, but it wouldn't let me since I hadn't used the first one (MMRR for noon). Thanks.

Can you explain this? I thought you couldn't get your second selection until you used you first. I tried getting another selection today several hours after making my first selection, but it wouldn't let me since I hadn't used the first one (MMRR for noon). Thanks.
What time did the park open and what time did you make your first selection?

What time did the park open and what time did you make your first selection?

Park opened at 8:30, 7:30 for hotel guests. We are staying on site, so we made 7 selections for MMRR at noon. Tried all the way up to using the first selection to get another, but it said we weren't eligible. By the time we were able to get another, all the stuff we wanted was late into the evening and we weren't planning on staying. I thought it would be like the old fastpasses where you could get another after a set time. As it was for us, we were paying for a system that will give you very few passes if you pick anything popular. Seems like a real downgrade from the days we could get passes all day. Maybe it was broken for us? Because the message was blank where it was supposed to tell us when we were eligible for the next pass.

Park opened at 8:30, 7:30 for hotel guests. We are staying on site, so we made 7 selections for MMRR at noon. Tried all the way up to using the first selection to get another, but it said we weren't eligible. By the time we were able to get another, all the stuff we wanted was late into the evening and we weren't planning on staying. I thought it would be like the old fastpasses where you could get another after a set time. As it was for us, we were paying for a system that will give you very few passes if you pick anything popular. Seems like a real downgrade from the days we could get passes all day. Maybe it was broken for us? Because the message was blank where it was supposed to tell us when we were eligible for the next pass.

You should have been eligible to book your second LL at 10:30 (2 hours after park opening). Sounds like something wasn't working right. So sorry that happened to you.

Yeah, it's definitely a downgrade. :sad1:

You should have been eligible to book your second LL at 10:30 (2 hours after park opening). Sounds like something wasn't working right. So sorry that happened to you.

Yeah, it's definitely a downgrade. :sad1:
Good to know! I thought I was going crazy, because that's what I thought, but a cast member gave me wrong info when I asked. If it doesn't work tomorrow, I will know to get help.

Good to know! I thought I was going crazy, because that's what I thought, but a cast member gave me wrong info when I asked. If it doesn't work tomorrow, I will know to get help.
That’s frustrating when the cast member can’t get you correct info. Hopefully it works for you tomorrow. I also noticed the eligible after isn’t displaying a time, but I didn’t have issues booking a second pass 2 hours after opening. We were at Animal Kingdom today.

The change I find most upsetting is reports of declining cleanliness. The food changes I'm not upset about because we'll have a car and park hoppers, so Disney dining budget is much lower now. Shows/entertainment still being at 50% is inexcusable. As is the lack of trams. But, those last two I can put out of my mind while in the park. But not overflowing trash cans.
Overflowing trash cans would really disappoint me! I hope this is getting better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter