• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the IA$ attractions announced with "dynamic pricing"?

Raising the prices on a Friday makes sense.

It's irritating, but it makes sense.
It will be interesting to see how much, if any, those prices change from a Friday to a Saturday.

We’re here now and it’s crazy! I was able to secure a boarding pass at 7 am and we’re in group 75. Our ETA was 1:20… They have now changed our virtual time 3 times!! They keep pushing our groups out for people paying for LL access. This is not okay. Our new boarding time is now 3:40😡 I didn’t plan to stay in Epcot all day because we’re doing the AH BB tonight and I need my rest before tonight!

It sounds as though the VQ is being treated as a standby line?

The VQ felt like a standby line when we went in July and there was no Genie +. Our boarding group got pushed out a couple of hours (due to breakdowns) and then when we finally were called we still had to wait another hour. Was not at all impressed with that system then and now it sounds like it will be worse if you don’t pay.

The VQ felt like a standby line when we went in July and there was no Genie +. Our boarding group got pushed out a couple of hours (due to breakdowns) and then when we finally were called we still had to wait another hour. Was not at all impressed with that system then and now it sounds like it will be worse if you don’t pay.
Just a note of clarification.

@lovethattink was discussing Ratatouille which only opened 3 weeks ago.

The VQ you are discussing @kct1570 is Rise of the Resistance.

Just wanted to clarify for those trying to put the pieces together.

That is what it’s like.

The idea is that instead of making you wait in line for 90 minutes or more, they call you to join the line with a wait that will likely be shorter than that.

The few times that we have done ROTR (both before and after the pandemic) our waits after we joined the VQ ranged from quite short (when we had an early BG) to over an hour when there were several breakdown delays, including one while we were in line. That day the original ETA for our BG was about 11 AM and it ended up being closer to 1 PM.

Another time there were so many delays on a very hot day that we went back to our room at the Boardwalk and walked back when the BGs started advancing again.

When you get a BG with an ETA you shouldn‘t think of it like a FP or LL reservation. The estimated arrival time might change and there might still be a significant wait after your group is called.

When there is LL involved too like there is now with Ratatouille, if there are delays you have to expect that the LL will get priority.

We have a trip in a couple weeks and I need some advice... We’re a party of 8, some adults some kids. Our Epcot day is now a 6 crowd level on TP. And while I wasn’t planning on G+ for this park, I don’t want everyone to stand in lines all day either. They don’t have hoppers so this is the only park of the day.

MK and HS seem to make sense for our party size and crowd levels, but it’s so hard to determine in a park like Epcot (or even AK).

We have a trip in a couple weeks and I need some advice... We’re a party of 8, some adults some kids. Our Epcot day is now a 6 crowd level on TP. And while I wasn’t planning on G+ for this park, I don’t want everyone to stand in lines all day either. They don’t have hoppers so this is the only park of the day.

MK and HS seem to make sense for our party size and crowd levels, but it’s so hard to determine in a park like Epcot (or even AK).
If you are arriving before 1 pm, you can try getting a BG for Remy. Standby in the evening isn't all that bad and you could enjoy food and wine and fireworks at 9:45?. We are doing Space220 on our check in date. We won't be in the park until after 5:30 pm. We might do Genie+, but for sure we will book a LLIA$ at 7 am (definitely for Remy-probably will sell out); for Frozen we might wait in line (will try to buy in park).

We are going in December. I have the same thoughts as you. But I just bit the bullet and got Genie+ for my whole trip. We’ve sunk so much money into this trip that, at this point, what’s another few hundred? Especially if it has the potential to cut down our waits and make our trip better. Congratulations, Disney. I’m exactly the sucker you were looking for.

Since the inception of Genie+, I am seeing only 3 Epcot attractions with waits consistenly longer than 20 minutes: Test Track, Frozen Ever After, and Remy boarding groups.

You could have reasonable waits for Test Track and Frozen by doing one at rope drop and the other just before park closing. Could also do Single Rider for Test Track if that would work for your group.

So that leaves only Remy, and the wait for it could be avoided if you pay ILL$.

I think those are the factors to weigh when you are deciding about G+. It isn't going to save much any significant amount of wait time for any of the other Epcot atttractions. And it also isn't relevant to Remy or Frozen. It could definitely save you some wait time for Test Track.

Hi. I don't watch videos and reports from bloggers but I really would like to start especially with the G+ and IA$$.
Can you/anyone here recommend who I watch and how do I watch them? Youtube?

Thanks!

Someone else may have answered this, but I think the very best channel for solid advice and instructions on how to do things like this is AllEars. They put up different types of videos, but Molly will be lots and lots of "how to use Genie+" videos over the coming weeks, will show screenshots, will explain the steps each video since she has done this in the past with Boarding Groups, FP+, etc. The channel that also runs this website, The Dis, will probably have some videos like this but AllEars will have more.

As a counterpoint, I could say allowing hoppers to have earlier access to afternoon and LL reservations mitigates what would otherwise be a big disadvantage.

The Genie+LL system is much like paper FP, and that system did not work well for people who like to take a midday break then hop to a second park.

If your plan was to leave the first park early in the afternoon and then go to a second park around 5, any FP at the first park with a return time in early afternoon was worthless, and FPs at the second park were probably gone by the time you would get there.

Making LL reservations at the second park for use after expected arrival helps the park hopper get the same value out of the G+ purchase as people who stay in one park all day.
So, because some or many of the rides you book in the a.m. push you out to afternoon, can I just book for my second park in the morning with my PH at 7 a.m. trying for later times?

Operator Error - Ignore if you saw my original message.

Woke up at 6:55 to try to start stacking LL reservations or MK this afternoon. Starting with a leisurely morning at AK before hopping. Panicked a little because tip board was showing next available time for all parks which isn't what I expected. But when you click into the attraction it changes to the next available time after 2PM.

So - don't be me and click around before you start rethinking your whole plan and end up wide awake with no chance of dropping back to sleep for an extra hour or two.

Last edited:
So, because some or many of the rides you book in the a.m. push you out to afternoon, can I just book for my second park in the morning with my PH at 7 a.m. trying for later times?

That would be the question.

After you purchase G+, will the system show you LL return times after 2 PM for your second park?

If so, you could book one and then book a second one two hours after your first park opens and a third one two hours after you pick the second one. Then you would have 3 at your second park and would go standby only, or use one or two paid IALL at your first park.

Maybe someone will try this.

That would be the question.

After you purchase G+, will the system show you LL return times after 2 PM for your second park?

If so, you could book one and then book a second one two hours after your first park opens and a third one two hours after you pick the second one. Then you would have 3 at your second park and would go standby only, or use one or two paid IALL at your first park.

Maybe someone will try this.
See the post above. It's looking like it's not going to work that way now.

See the post above. It's looking like it's not going to work that way now.

Sorry to have mislead - it is still working the way described. I WAS able to make a 2-3PM reservation for Jungle Cruise just now. On the Tip Board it was showing next available time - it isn't until you click INTO the attraction that it switches to 2PM (assuming it hasn't already gone out past that).

So - set my alarm for 6:55AM to start stacking some MK LL for 2PM+ and .... it's no longer working that way. At least not for me. I'm seeing the next available return times for all parks. The park I have reservations for - AK. And the ones I don't. Throws a bit of a wrench in plan for the day, but whatever - I'm here alone and I wanted to figure out how this works. Was planning on going back to sleep and doing a leisurely AK day before hopping to MK this afternoon. May rethink that plan because I'm solidly awake now.

Did you already purchase Genie+.?

The next question would be whether the ability to get later LL in the second park kicks in once you actually tap in to the first park.

If you want to take one for the team in the interest of research, maybe you could get a G+LL for something at AK for a time close to when you plan to be there. Use that LL even if the standby line is short and after that see what times you are offered at MK.

ETA- I see your follow up post. When I look at the Tip Board now the available time for JC is 10:40 AM so you pretty clearly are being offered something based on your hopper ticket, Did you identify MK as your second park in Genie? Maybe it offers hoppers those later options in all 3 of the other parks.

This and the “stacking” feature offer some strategy options that I didn’t anticipate and that could make Genie+ more attractive.

Last edited:
I can also confirm that it is showing that I will be eligible to make my next LL reservation at 11AM - that's what is showing for both AK (opens at 8) and MK (opens at 9) attractions. So it seems to be 2 hours after park opening of the park in which you made your first LL reservation and not 2 hours after park opening for the park in which you have a park reservation.

Wondering if that will hold true for EPCOT with it's late opening too --- would it be noon before you were eligible for a second LL reservation if you used your first LL to make a 2PM Test Track reservation? I don't intend to test that particular scenario, at least not this trip.

We’ve sunk so much money into this trip that, at this point, what’s another few hundred? Especially if it has the potential to cut down our waits and make our trip better. Congratulations, Disney. I’m exactly the sucker you were looking for.
yes - but you are not happy about it - and that will probably change your view of Disney and how you think about it in the future - and that is what they dont get. what will this few hundred dollars now cost them in the future?

Sorry for this basic question... We arrive tomorrow and don't have a package. I've been trying to add the Genie to our reservation (we have several split stays) and it doesn't give me an option. Is adding Genie (15.00 per day per ticket) something I have to call to get added?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter