• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

Disclaimer... the following is pure speculation on my part.

I think that they would still give out the same number of BGs at 7 am that they usually do. Remember.... obtaining a BG does not guarantee you will be able to ride. Throughout the day, as people pay for IA$ access to ROTR (or Remy), they will get priority over those with a BG #. That will slow down the normal progression of getting through the BGs, meaning more people with higher BG #'s might not get to ride because others who paid for IA$ caused fewer BGs to be called that day.

How many BGs will actually be affected? That depends on how many people pay for IA$. If there are already a lot of IA$ reservations, they might not have a second BG drop at 1 pm because they might already be projecting that they won't get through all of the BGs distributed in the morning. But, again, that all depends on how many people are willing to pay extra for that one ride.

My point is, I don't think they need to "hold back" any BG slots for IA$. Those who purchase IA$ will simply get priority and slow down how quickly the BGs get called throughout the day. The end result is the same... those who pay will ride and some who didn't pay (even though they may have obtained a BG) will not get to.

We're only visiting MK for the 50th next month, and then probably not back to WDW until 2023, so there will be plenty of time for me to observe how things pan out with BGs and IA$ before we actually get thrown into the fray. I'm very interested to see how this affects ROTR. Those with low BG #'s would almost certainly not pay, those with no BG may be more inclined to pay since the alternative will be no chance of riding. But what about those with high BG #'s? Do they gamble on getting called? Or as the minutes tick by and the end of the day approaches (and still X # of BGs from their #), do they break down and pay to guarantee a ride?

So you're thinking the changes won't be in effect until after your visit? We're going the 2nd week of Oct and I was kind of assuming that Genie+ would probably be in effect by then.

Correct. They are separate and won't impact one another. I actually just finished a Genie training session. Genie+ is $15/person per day and includes unlimited Lightning Lane reservations for select attractions, but these reservations can only be made one at at time (onsite Resort Guests can make their first Genie+ reservation starting at 7am). A few super headliner attractions at each park will not be included in Genie+. Guests can access those by 1) Getting in the standby line (or joining a Virtual Queue for the few attractions that won't have standby, like RoTR and Rat); OR 2) Purchasing separate Lightning Lane access. For these super headliner attractions, there will be a limit of 2 Lightning Lane purchases per guest per day. Again, onsite Resort Guest can make their first purchase at 7am.

What about AP? Can we make LL or LL$ at 7am regardless of if we are at a resort? We live in Fla and will try for BG at 7 am and then decide if we go over (of course, have a park res). Not many perks here for AP, so that would be nice.

From the announcement I read both onsite and offsite guests can book Genie+ at 7 a.m. This was concerning. Do we know this for sure?

So you're thinking the changes won't be in effect until after your visit? We're going the 2nd week of Oct and I was kind of assuming that Genie+ would probably be in effect by then.
I think the changes may be in effect by October 1st, but we won't be visiting DHS or EP, so the IA$ vs. BG situation won't affect us.

If G+ is available, we will purchase (it's only two of us) for MK on October 1st to try it out, but I have no plans to pay extra for IA$ at MK even if it's offered by then.

That's a tough standard - does anyone ever go to WDW and ride every ride they want, as many times as they want? I don't think I've ever had that happen on a trip - there is always something left undone, something I would've ridden a few more times, etc. It's about doing and seeing and experiencing enough to make you happy, for the time and effort you put in for the trip. Certainly I get my fill of some rides, maybe even most rides, but if your standard is to do everything you want as many times as you want, no vacation destination can live up to that.

I don't suppose you're in WDW this week then?

People in WDW this past week are reporting FoP near walk-on in the middle of the day! As I type, Space Mtn/Buzz/PotC/BTMRR/Splash/Safari/Na'vi/Kali all have posted 5 min. waits! Even HS: RNRC/ToT/MMRR/MF:SR are posted at 20min. FoP is posted at just 10 min.

Two very different concepts. The poster I quoted seemed to believe they needed to pay additional to ride rides once they got in the park and that's just not true. Genie+ is optional and you can still ride rides without spending another dime once you enter the gates. That's a fact.

You're talking about relative value of the park ticket, which is totally different. I don't disagree that some of the value is lost now that the former FP queues can only be used by paying extra. But, that doesn't change the fact that it's inaccurate to say you *must* pay extra to ride rides. That's simply not true.

Clearly, it does need clarification because you're talking about two different things.

I've been reading the debate on Genie+, and while it will technically be true that we could use standby/free boarding pass, doing so might might = a very reduced experience (compared to paying the upcharge).

FP+ changed over time. Back when it was new, there was no #4 FP, only #1-3. And if you didn't book them in advance, they were nearly useless. So like, if you waited until you were in MK to book them...well you were looking at a 20minute kiosk line to get like a teacups FP. Maybe a 7pm Pooh. ooh.

Towards the end, FP+ got better with more flexibility, and it was possible to do pretty well via refreshing and last minute booking.

But in the first two years, it absolutely didn't make sense to book a last minute trip to WDW, IMO. People with pre-booked FP rode 3 e-rides with a 15 min wait. people with no FP spent more like 70minutes in line for each e-ride: 45 minutes of waiting vs. 210 minutes of total frustration.

So while technically, you are correct, it is possible to spend 3 hours watching other people ride Space Mtn, ahead of you. IMO, that's not in any way my idea of an enjoyable experience. If few people use Genie+ or crowds are low enough, it might not make much of a difference. If crowds are high, many people buy it, and/or WDW manipulates wait times, it might effectively be true that you actually do need to buy Genie+ to have a real shot at riding a reasonable number of attractions each day.

Do you want to be a plebian or a patrician?

My understanding is two perks, EMH 1/2 hour for moderate and value every day, two hours of EMH on Monday and Wednesday for deluxe, and the ability for all onsite to purchase the LL$ at 7 a.m. But other folks in here seem to think the 7 a.m. Genie + is for offsite and onsite ability to purchase as well, so not sure which its going to be since there seems to be a difference of opinion on this one.

Any rumors in when this thing gets rolled out?
Disney Parks Blog says it will roll out "this fall". That's anywhere between September 22 - December 1.

As we get closer to the 50th anniversary, I'm leaning toward "some date after 10/1. Genie+ and IA$ are bound to have hiccups during the early days of the roll out. Disney doesn't want it to affect their anniversary celebration in a negative way. I give it another week and if it's not up and running by then I don't think it will be out before the 50th.

My understanding is two perks, EMH 1/2 hour for moderate and value every day, two hours of EMH on Monday and Wednesday for deluxe, and the ability for all onsite to purchase the LL$ at 7 a.m. But other folks in here seem to think the 7 a.m. Genie + is for offsite and onsite ability to purchase as well, so not sure which its going to be since there seems to be a difference of opinion on this one.

We'll have to see, but the way I read things is that onsite guests could book their first G+ attraction starting at 7am, and offsite would need to wait until they are in the parks before they can book their first G+ attraction.

Dan

I just saw photos on twitter of the Lightning Lane signs. Many are just decals/stickers placed over embossed Fastpass signs (meaning, you can still see the outline of Fastpass).

Not surprised they weren’t ready for this

I think it will be out by mid-September based on feeling they should do it before Oct 1. They've already announced it. Next, the final details, next roll out by Sept. 15th. Just my projection, we shall see. That gives them two weeks to identify the bugs before the 1st. :confused3
That's what I was thinking. After the 50th, then you get the huge rush of holiday crowds. You'd think they want to have a month or so to work out kinks before the giant rush.

I wouldn't be surprised if it starts right around the same time AP go on sale.

I have no idea what I'm talking about though so take that for what it's worth. LOL

Let's say they do indeed roll it out on September 15th (which is pure speculation). If so, how far prior to the date do you think they'll officially announce it?

We'll have to see, but the way I read things is that onsite guests could book their first G+ attraction starting at 7am, and offsite would need to wait until they are in the parks before they can book their first G+ attraction.

Dan
Seems like I read that somewhere too.

So the LIghtning Lanes are up, replaced the FP name, now they can just release the date and not just say this fall. I would love for it to be available before Sept 18th.

while it will technically be true that we could use standby/free boarding pass, doing so might might = a very reduced experience (compared to paying the upcharge).
If it functions like MaxPass, as the initial details are sounding, this will not be the case.

so while technically, you are correct, it is possible to spend 3 hours watching other people ride Space Mtn, ahead of you. IMO, that's not in any way my idea of an enjoyable experience.
That would be no one's idea of an enjoyable experience. None of us are privy to the modeling the powers that be most likely did while designing this, but I can almost bet that their models did not show enough people purchasing Genie+ that would result in a 3 hour standby for Space Mountain. Except maybe on Christmas Day or something like that. We also don't know if Disney will cap the number of people who can buy Genie+ in a given day. They already cap park reservations, and Universal caps their Express Pass (in other words, it can sell out). I think it would be wise for them to at least say they are capping it because it will increase the urgency for people to buy it, thus resulting in more purchases because of the fear it will sell out. And I bet they did modeling to account for this too.

So the LIghtning Lanes are up, replaced the FP name, now they can just release the date and not just say this fall. I would love for it to be available before Sept 18th.
Me too! I'm so ready for Genie+ and hoping it's ready for October 1. I so preferred the MaxPass at DLR over FP+ because you didn't have to compete with people for slots 60/30 days ahead of time and then still not get what you wanted. Yes, it's an extra cost, but it should level the playing field for people who take last minute trips or don't want the stress of planning the entire trip 60 days out.

Now let's hope ADRs stay 60 days out because 180 days ahead was too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter