Disney Genie announcement

Sadly I haven't been on these boards pre-Covid, when I had my April 2020 trip cancelled, which would have been first time staying Deluxe (Beach Club). Anyhow, started seeing some Facebook stories on Disney's Genie+ and I knew this would be THE forum to go to, to get an initial take on the new system. From the comments I'm reading, it is what I thought, its being received with great skeptism. I guess the one good thing is, I no longer have to make Dining reservations 180 days out and then at the 60 day mark coordinate my fast pass selections with existing dining reservations. I've always been a proponent of staying on property, we love the experience. But is it getting to or has it finally crossed that line where staying on property is really no longer worth it? Extended hours are basically gone, no Magical Express, pay a resort fee to have a car, no extended hours, just seems like all the perks of staying on property are slowly going away, and Genie+ seems to fit right into that trend.

Feels good to be back on the Board.

Sadly I haven't been on these boards pre-Covid, when I had my April 2020 trip cancelled, which would have been first time staying Deluxe (Beach Club). Anyhow, started seeing some Facebook stories on Disney's Genie+ and I knew this would be THE forum to go to, to get an initial take on the new system. From the comments I'm reading, it is what I thought, its being received with great skeptism. I guess the one good thing is, I no longer have to make Dining reservations 180 days out and then at the 60 day mark coordinate my fast pass selections with existing dining reservations. I've always been a proponent of staying on property, we love the experience. But is it getting to or has it finally crossed that line where staying on property is really no longer worth it? Extended hours are basically gone, no Magical Express, pay a resort fee to have a car, no extended hours, just seems like all the perks of staying on property are slowly going away, and Genie+ seems to fit right into that trend.

Feels good to be back on the Board.
We had an April 2020 trip also, but I remained on these boards.

You stayed away and summed up 100s of threads and 100s of 1000s of posts since April 2020, with one paragraph! 😂

The beauty of the pre-COVID era was that you could set everything up from home before arrival for your entire trip, and leave your phone in your pocket unless you were taking a picture (wearing the wristbands). Now, you'll be more immersed in your phone than in the park, and spending more time in lines and for higher cost.
I’m really surprised to hear you didn’t use your phone in the parks before. No extra FPs after you used your first three? No mobile ordering? No checking wait times/show times in the app? You could still keep your phone in your pocket and not purchase genie+. Nobody is forcing this on you.

I’m really surprised to hear you didn’t use your phone in the parks before. No extra FPs after you used your first three? No mobile ordering? No checking wait times/show times in the app? You could still keep your phone in your pocket and not purchase genie+. Nobody is forcing this on you.

I never even took my cell phone into the parks - showtimes are listed on the park map insert (the paper ones) - only used the 3 FPs I booked & just did standby otherwise or skipped it - no mobile ordering - it was wonderful :)

No judgement, but I'm legitimately curious. What would be your breaking point for on-site? Another 20% increase next year? Another one after that? Removal of the early / PM hours? I'm trying to come up with other things they can take away, but none are coming to me.

Or, is it you, like many many others, just prefer the bubble and if you can afford it, you'll pay it?

I get the bubble preference. I really do.

But for me, the bubble was always just an ancillary thing to the tangible benefits.

I'm interested in hearing from the other side of my point of view.

We owned DVC at Boardwalk and Boulder Ridge. Sold all our contracts October 2019 due to the loss of onsite benefits and reduction in experience BEFORE COVID except a small 50 point one at BR just to retain any legacy perks. Ended up buying a house in the area instead. Since Covid, we purchased Universal annual passes for the first time and we keep saying that Universal today is like how Disney was before. We feel appreciated there and just a revenue center to Disney. I recently renewed our Disney AP's, but I don't think I'll renew them next year at this point. It seems like we are being squeezed for even more money and they are delivering much less (fireworks, parades, basically everything!). I hope these new changes will be awesome and I was totally wrong about it, but I doubt it. I just visit US more often and enjoy the afternoon free fastpass that comes with our APs. Disney had to work to destroy my loyalty and now they have to compete for it with other parks and attractions. Not only is the park experience better currently at US, but the food is better and less expensive as well. At this point I wish we bought our home in Lake Mary rather than Champions Gate so were are closer to US.

I think the most deplorable part of not only this but all the "more money, less product" that's been coming on strong lately is that it's basically using COVID as the excuse. They've always wanted to do this but in an alternate timeline where there was never any COVID, there is no way we're where we are right now.

In that other timeline August 2021 we still have Magical Express...regular ol Fast Pass...Disney Dining...all the shows and parades...etc etc.

As a shareholder, this is the kind of garbage that makes me root for it to crash back down just to teach the executives with stock options a lesson...starting with Iger
Not necessarily true - they started entertainment cuts before Covid was a thing. Buridika was gone way before Covid. Covid made it easier but blind cash grab was Chapek's plan all along.

I never even took my cell phone into the parks - showtimes are listed on the park map insert (the paper ones)
I never even took my cell phone into the parks - showtimes are listed on the park map insert (the paper ones) - only used the 3 FPs I booked & just did standby otherwise or skipped it - no mobile ordering - it was wonderful :)
If that’s true, then Genie+ doesn’t seem right for your and your touring style! I would skip it for sure.

We did occasionally add FPs but not every day. I didn't do mobile ordering. I occasionally might check wait times, but we already had our plan so didn't need to. The point you're missing is that those of us who followed Disney's instructions and planned ahead got to do most of what we wanted with limited standby lines. Now, there's no guarantee we'll be able to do anything we want without standby lines, even if we buy Genie+. And we won't even know until that day. That's a big step back for many which isn't solved by avoiding Genie+.

Last edited:
Any word on whether Genie+ and/or paid selection times will be cut-off during the early morning/evening hours for resort/deluxe guests? Certainly, it would just be stand-by for those, wouldn't you think?

We had an April 2020 trip also, but I remained on these boards.

You stayed away and summed up 100s of threads and 100s of 1000s of posts since April 2020, with one paragraph! 😂
I think between Covid hangover and Disney Depression, I just sort of checked out of the Disney forums for a while. Now that we are toying with a 2022 trip, figured it was maybe time to get back in the game.

Well, I think it's safe to assume you can book it from your room, as the parks are not open at 7am.
Except that before you were able to book multiple FPs. Now, you may get one, maybe two if you're lucky. And you're up every day doing it.

Exactly, if you previously got up at 9AM, went to the pool, then went to the parks now you can no longer guarantee 3 decent rides like you could with FP+. I would rather the FP+ system be monetized versus Genie+. Change 60 days to 14 even. The "leveling of the playing field" always means us Disboard/AP/DVC guests get less and less for more money. Sure I can get up at 9AM, go to the parks at 2PM, MAYBE get 1-5 Tier 2 rides in with Genie+ and MAYBE get the chance to pay $10-$20 to ride space mountain? That is a worse experience and that 'best case ' Genie+ scenario would cost probably $25 a person at minimum. They should have raised ticket rates to cover the $15, kept FP+, and anything past 3 FP+ costs money.

Exactly, if you previously got up at 9AM, went to the pool, then went to the parks now you can no longer guarantee 3 decent rides like you could with FP+. I would rather the FP+ system be monetized versus Genie+. Change 60 days to 14 even. The "leveling of the playing field" always means us Disboard/AP/DVC guests get less and less for more money. Sure I can get up at 9AM, go to the parks at 2PM, MAYBE get 1-5 Tier 2 rides in with Genie+ and MAYBE get the chance to pay $10-$20 to ride space mountain? That is a worse experience and that 'best case ' Genie+ scenario would cost probably $25 a person at minimum. They should have raised ticket rates to cover the $15, kept FP+, and anything past 3 FP+ costs money.
You could also go to the parks at 2pm and maybe ride 3-5 tier 2 rides with minimal waits and ride a tier 1 ride at closing with a minimal wait and for free.

Why are so many people on this board inclined to believe the worst case scenario right off the bat, without any real world experience?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter