Disney Genie announcement

I genuinely would like to know…how does the average person who doesn’t keep up with Disney news understand how to navigate the parks? There’s park reservations, new rules for park hopping, mobile ordering, restaurant reservations, boarding groups, all these new Genie things, constantly changing mask rules, etc. etc. It’s making my head spin!
Those are the people who get back from vacation and tell everyone how miserable their vacation was because they just thought they could wing everything. I don't know if we'll be going back until Chapek is gone, so maybe we'll have forgotten how to do most of this stuff by then too.

Disneyland is $20 a day and includes photopass.... WDW continues to squeeze money out by keeping that separate

$15 a day seems fine, but it's per guest. so $15 x 5 days x 8 guests (my next trip example) = $600 extra dollars for the trip....

So, quick math for us--- Family of three--- 7 park days---- 45x 7=. $315 for JUST tier 2 (if I understand this correctly)
Sounds great !! :((

That's what people used to say about FP, but if you were smart about it, you could get a lot per day. I know we certainly did all the times we used Max Pass at DL...totally worth the $10-$20/day that we paid there every time.
I love maxpass too, but it’s completely different at WDW. DLR has so many rides that it’s worth it. I don’t see WDW matching that experience with way fewer rides.

They are not pay per ride attractions.

You have the option to purchase 2 time specific rides on the Tier 1 group per day just like making an ADR for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.

You also have the option of using VQ for rides that support that feature and the normal queue for rides that don't use the VQ option.

Note: the number of Individual Attraction times will be limited just like ADRs.

Dave

You’ve just described a system where you pay per ride without waiting and pay per meal without waiting.

And the point of my post was that they’re clearly afraid of announcing the range of the pay per ride reservation price.

What is with the day of fastpass? You have to book park reservations in advance. Is it because they think if you do not get the rides you want in advance you will switch or cancel that park? Once you are there you are more locked in?

I don’t have a family yet, but this new system seems really bad for families. Take a family of four, for example. If they all want to ride Frozen, and it’s only guaranteed without a wait time as an individual lightning lane attraction for purchase at $10/ person….that’s $40 for one family to ride Frozen. Chances are, though, it’ll be more than $10 a person. That must really be a tough pill to swallow to tell your young kids that they simply can’t go on a ride without waiting for HOURS.

If you can only make one at a time what's the benefit to the resort guests booking at 7am? Are these going to be very limited. So people will be paying an upcharge of 15/person and taking only whats available? Sounds miserable.

I can't believe how much Disney is nickel and diming everyone, its really turning me off. SO much that used to be included is now an upcharge and there is zero reason to stay on site and pay ridiculous inflated hotel prices if there are no longer tangible benefits.
Absolutely agree with you 100%

They are not pay per ride attractions.

You have the option to purchase 2 time specific rides on the Tier 1 group per day just like making an ADR for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.

You also have the option of using VQ for rides that support that feature and the normal queue for rides that don't use the VQ option.

Note: the number of Individual Attraction times will be limited just like ADRs.

Dave

Um what? That’s definitely a pay-per-ride. The only way you can be *guaranteed* to get on certain highly coveted rides, is to pay in advance to book a reserved time slot. For example, if I want to ride on Slinky without waiting three hours, the only way I will be able to do that is to pay — i.e. Pay for Slinky, pay per ride.

We all knew FP+ at WDW would be monetized. However, I didn’t think they’d go this “all in.” I would’ve kept the fastpass name. My simplified system would be:

Everyone gets 1 FP+ This is for offsite guests. Book 7 days ahead. You already have your park pass and dining planned; weather forecasts are getting better at this point. You’re excited the trip is only a week away. Includes headliners still.

Staying at Disney? You get 2 FP+ 7 days ahead. Maybe 14 days? 3 for deluxe snd DVC. This incentivizes staying on property, which is a large revenue stream with, I’d assume, a high margin?

You want extra? OK, you pay per ride while you’re in the park. It’s called a Genie Wish. Maybe every once in awhile one pops up for free, like magic.

Not saying this is great (I’d still prefer the old system) but it would make a ton and everyone feels they’re getting something. There’s no 7AM wake ups except for VQ.

Either way, ticket prices go up so build that $15pp they’re charging for Genie+ right into the ticket and then even extra €£¥$ is earned through the Genie wish.

The perception of value is important. The new system they unveiled today I think will make them a ton but sour some guests taste, and if the standby lines are very long—“first timers” will still come back and say it’s crowded and (more) expensive to their friends and family.

I'm interested to see if this is an opt in by day option. We normally purchase 7 or 8 day tickets. I might add this for a couple of days but wouldn't need it for every day. Hoping it isn't like park hopper where you're either in or out.
that’s my question too

If it IS like DLR's MaxPass, then you add it on to multipark tickets THE DAY OF, once you are in the park, and just to that park day.

Staying at Disney? You get 2 FP+ 7 days ahead. Maybe 14 days? 3 for deluxe snd DVC. This incentivizes staying on property, which is a large revenue stream with, I’d assume, a high margin?
Couldn't agree more. Making the program the same for the day guest, staying off-site, who will also most likely eat off-site and visit other attractions is ridiculous. But hey, it will save me (literally) thousands if we do another trip.

We've been to WDW and stayed on site a number of times. I was a FP master. Then I learned to be a FP+ master. I have NEVER reacted to a change by saying, "We are DONE with WDW!" but this might do it for us. They basically upped ticket prices by $20 PLUS. It's the plus that bothers me, the Lightening Lane a la carte. That could add up to some considerable money.

And it's also the principle of the thing. We're all supposed to be one happy family at WDW; not the haves and have nots. (I know there are the VIP plaid tours, but....)

The Genie function doesn't do much for me. I was never that impressed with Magic Your Way or MyMagic. I'd rather rely on our past experience and knowledge of WDW plus an app from an unnamed private site.

End of an era. Sad.

I'm super disappointed. I've felt on the fence, waiting to see what perks might be extended to on-site guests, given everything. I just don't see the point with them (WDW) any more.
It is disappointing that Disney is charging for what used to be included in the price of admission. WDW is now saying its a perk to book at 7 am but guests are still going to have to pay extra to get the benefit of the perk. I feel like this is classifying rides into 3 tiers which is understandable but telling a guest that they arent allowed to ride a popular ride without paying extra for it or taking up a large amount of time to experience the ride just doesn’t seem right (Given the expense that has already been incurred just to be there and that it wont be a level playing field). I think that one free fastpass for top tier and one free fastpass for 2nd tier should be included as part of admission. in my opinion, extended hours were the best benefit. way more of a benefit than walking around with a cell phone in your hand all day. WDW should have just increased the ticket price per person per day. This could really backfire for WDW unless this genie is a genius. This will shorten the length of the average stay and make it harder for families to sleep-in, making them feel like they have to tour from sun up to sun down. that destroys the disney magic and all the wonderful amenities and atmosphere disney has created.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter