Disney Genie announcement

Price point works for my family and honestly a little surprised that it wasn't more. While I had no issue with booking FP+ in advance, I'm very happy this doesn't require advance planning as I would always book thrill rides but sometimes I wasn't up for them on the day/time I had selected months in advance. I'm glad that my first trip with Genie+ won't be until Jan and hopefully we'll have plenty of first hand reports by then and the inevitable kinks will be worked out.

I think the price point is so low because it's closest to the regular FP that was free and they expect a lot of people to use it. But I'm expecting the additional cost for the the top 2 rides to be really expensive because they can't have too many people opt in or it won't work.

Let's say you book a ten day resort and tickets package. Do you all think we can pick and choose which days we'd add Genie+, or would it have to apply to all tickets (like hoppers)? Because if I can have days with Genie+ and days without (where I just stroll around the park, eat snacks and do shorter standby queues), I might find it interesting.

We are going in Oct 2022 with some friends. I will absolutely pay for this for our entire group of 6. That trip is going to be a bucket list trip for the 2 friends who are going with us...they've never been to DL, we'll only be there for a week, etc.

We used Max Pass at DL on 3 different occasions before the pandemic shut everything down. We LOVED Max Pass.

I like how in this new system, there's no reserving your ride time 2 months in advance. I hated that about FP+. Preventing people from getting a ride FP before the actual day they're at the park makes it more equitable for everyone.

On the Max Pass system, what we'd do in order to take best advantage of it is this:
  • request a FP on the DL app using our Max Pass for all of our tickets.
  • app tells you what your 1-hr return window is.
  • go to the ride during that return window.
  • after you've scanned your ticket (and, thus, 'used' that FP), then while still in the FP line waiting to get on the ride, select your FP/MP for the next attraction. Sometimes, we'd have to wait to do this after the 2nd "scan your ticket" spot (only a couple of rides at DL had that...all the rest of them were 1 ticket scan from what I remember)
  • app tells you what your 1 hour return window is for ride #2.
  • go on a different ride or do something else while you wait for return window for ride #2 to begin.
  • go to ride #2 during your return window.
  • Lather, rinse, repeat.
On one evening, ODD & I did this all evening long from about 6:30 - 11:00 pm and used 13 different FPs in that time frame.

Just you or you and your family?

I'm thinking $25pp minimum on high demand days. $200 for my family of 4 to ride 2 rides...in addition to park tickets?
No, just me. My family can watch and I can tell them how the rides went. 😆 🤣 😂. Jk

$25 would be pretty steep. $10? Instantly. $15 to $20? Maybe if we are just there for 3 or 4 days and only have one scheduled day for MK. I can't imagine it ever making sense at Epcot. we'll have to see how it works out at HS and AK.

Technically fall is until 12/21 this year, so could be any time until then lol

HA ha... That is exactly what I'm thinking... 10/1...

Honestly do not want to be the guiniey pig for this to launch. So many of you junkies here are better at blogging, posting trip reports, and people like me can learn from the first people to head into battle!!! :-)

I too am not excited about trying to book all this at 7 AM the day off. But then again I hated being locked into Fastpasses 60 days out. No pleasing me.

I think the price point is so low because it's closest to the regular FP that was free and they expect a lot of people to use it. But I'm expecting the additional cost for the the top 2 rides to be really expensive because they can't have too many people opt in or it won't work.
Its not like they will have an unlimited number of those though, they'll have some limit per window hour of the paid option same as there will be a limit per hour window for the $15 tier too.

I’m so confused. So let’s say I pay the $15. I’m on site. At 7am I can book a tier 2 attraction. But I want to ride Remy. Can I book Remy at 7am and pay the extra at that point? Can I book Remy and a tier 2? What is happening ?

Why would I use the all in one if it doesn't include the top tier rides? Hi MK I know how to wait for Pirates to have a 20 minute wait. Space Mountain not so much LOL. And unless the per ride one is super cheap (which it won't be) I ain't doing that either.

So... how do I get a ROTR boarding group and select my first lightning lane attraction... both at exactly 7:00 am?

The good news is most everyone else will also be trying to ROTR too, so we will all be getting the other pass after LOL

I've read each post and a bunch of blogs since this came out a few hours ago... All I hear is "fall" as the launch date...

Next trip is October 17th, should I assume this will be live then!?!?!

While I hate that what was once free seems to have a charge now, $15 isn't all that bad. But it does seem like nickel and diming... Include it in the park ticket...
We arrive that day too, I hope it's in effect for awhile before that so we can see how it's really working.

Oct 1 is the "magic" date for everything else. Hard to believe this wouldn't be included.
I can't imagine they would roll this all out on that day, that sounds like a total recipe for disaster.

I honestly can't believe how many people are actually excited to Pay for something that used to be Free.

I do agree for the most part with your comment.

But after going to Disney many times, I found the "book 3 fastpasses 60 days out" thing to be a total pain and too restricting. You built your trip around rides that at times were spaced out too much.

If you buy into the "Genie" concept it is designed to be more intuitive, move people around the park better, and be more "spontaneous" (not saying I agree, but that looks to be the spin).

If you do this right, and go at the right time of year. You can get 1 Lightning entry at a time and rinse and repeat a bunch...

Time will tell. Who is signing up to rope drop the day this launches??? ;-)

So for your $1000 300sq foot room, you want more than a 2 hour head start to book 1 ride? And we think Disney is greedy!

*Obviously this is sarcasm. My sarcasm font wasn't working.
A real perk would be that I could do it the night before or something. I have two munchkins - 7am is not when I want to be stressing over some detail for the park that day!

Why would I use the all in one if it doesn't include the top tier rides? Hi MK I know how to wait for Pirates to have a 20 minute wait. Space Mountain not so much LOL. And unless the per ride one is super cheap (which it won't be) I ain't doing that either.
Bc they are going to pack so many people in the park that you will have to wait 2 hours for Barnstormer unless you have Genie+

My guesses:

- it will be tough to use the $15 Genie + option more than a couple times a day. Ex: at 7am, you book smugglers run and get 9:30. You ride it, get off, and book star tours and get a time of 7pm.
- Lightening will be VERY expensive and fluctuate based on crowd levels. I’d bet that on busy days, Rise and Flight are over $100 each per person.
- there will be opportunities to get additional Lightening passes for things like club level.

I’d be shocked if that was the case. ROTR just doesn’t have the throughput for that. I’d assume it stays fully VQ as it is now. But I guess you never know.

If you pause the video you can see that ROTR has the ability to join the Virtual Queue and also to "buy" a Lightning Lane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter