Disney Genie announcement

Disney must know they’ve upset the planning population. I almost wonder if there will be a $25 option in the future to “New Genie+ magic! Wish for and schedule Two Tier 2 rides in advance, such as favorites like Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean. Feel relaxed knowing two of your favorite attractions are scheduled without any early wake ups or uncertainty!”

I can see the email from Disney now touting it. 😣
I don't think there's any question they're going to tweak the system in the future and I'll lay odds that the changes won't reduce the cost.

I just went and disliked all Genie related videos. Maybe Disney will notice? :confused3

Apparently their promo videos for this have received over 70% dislikes....perhaps this could lead to some tweaks to this new, awful system. Doubtful though. Also (and I'm sure this has been posted before but I haven't been able to read every post) thanks for showing your appreciation to DVC or AP people by throwing us 1-3 complimentary LL passes per day like the old FP+ system.

I think y'all can save your social media likes for stopping racism and human trafficking. ;)

Disney is only going to care if it winds up hurting revenues.

i am absolutely fine with paying for perks. i pay more for tickets at other places if i don't want nose bleed seats. my issue is the 7 a.m. wake time and i think resort guests based on tiers should get LL tickets for a certain number of attractions (included).

I'm still conflicted overall. But I do agree that they should allow advance booking (with onsite guests getting a little head start like usual).

1. Buy both available IAS's at 7am
2. Get first LL at 7am for pretty much whatever is earliest time
3. RD at the 30 minute early admission time for the most popular attraction you didn't already get the LL for. So I am thinking BTM, PPF, JC, for example.

If LL doesn't include the Tier 1 rides, those are going to be all standby lines. That means you have to either pony up the $20, rope drop 7D, or ride it standby. The question becomes what happens to the 7D with no Fast Pass and no LL tier. I'm not sure how Rope Drop fits into this will all the classes of guests and maybe or maybe not Genie is up by then.

If you paid $15 for LL and Genie says to go skip the line at Pirates, you are going to do that, not stand in line with the cheap people at 7D. To me, this leads to two strategies. Either pay the $15 and stick to Tier 2, or don't pay and go standby/a la carte. Mixing the strategies of LL and a la carte doesn't make sense to me.

If enough people are in the Tier 2 system, or if the a la carte is expensive enough, 7D might actually have a moving, pleasant standby line, like it did in Covid times. That's not a terrible outcome to a cheap, standby person. In a sense, that makes $30 a la carte more appealing than $5 a la carte.

I'm never getting up at 7AM on vacation. So, I guess we will see you on the carousel.

Last edited:
I agree that Disney is pricing most people out of the parks, but I don't feel like that part is new.

True, it's not new. But it is certainly accelerating.

My big issue is that now I can't plan the days for our upcoming trip. With FP+ even if they had turned it into a pay service, at least I could have decided my daily schedule and budget ahead of time. Now I will have to do that (at best) at 7am every day that we are there. I have no idea if I'm going to want to pay that $15pp/day because I don't know what time slots might be available. Same for the LL Tier 1 rides.

So not only have they made it more expensive, they've made it so that I have no choice but to let the MDE app plan my days.

I said before that I was done with Disney but an opportunity came up and I foolishly told the kids we were going. This really is the last time.

I agree, this does actually make planning more difficult. We are going to have to "trust" we will be able to do what we want based on whatever trend information is available from places like TouringPlans. Come to think of it, this could actually drive more people to 3rd party planning services. With the 3 per day advance FP's, a guest could at least make a skeleton of a plan they could be assured was in place. Now there is nothing you can do until day of.

That is until phase 2 of Genie+ is announced, where you can schedule LL attractions in advance again. For an additional fee of course. Or maybe it will be a Deluxe resort perk. But I can't see Disney not finding a way to further monetize the need some guests have to plan in advance. A need which Disney has cultivated for years now btw, with advance FP's, 6 month ADRs, etc.

Personally I didn't mind winging it after the initial 3 FP's were used. But I could still be sure we were going to get on the major rides at least once during each trip.

I don't remember reading if you would have the 1hr window with the Genie+ passes like you did with the FP's. Did anyone see if you did? I have been reading a lot the last few days and may have missed it.
Thanks
I don't believe it's been mentioned officially, but you have to think it would be similar.

Idk, I'm an avid, 100% type A, incredibly detailed planner. Not always out of necessity, I just thoroughly enjoy planning. And I don't have a problem with this.

Hard to reconcile those two concepts. If you really truly enjoy and want to make detailed plans, you will not be able to do so. So either you are not as 100% type A as you think you are, or you are going to start getting the shakes as you approach your next trip.

Hard to reconcile those two concepts. If you really truly enjoy and want to make detailed plans, you will not be able to do so. So either you are not as 100% type A as you think you are, or you are going to start getting the shakes as you approach your next trip.
I think she's saying that despite being a planner, she's okay with this.

I’m going to have to take a special course just to be able to use this system. It’s one thing to take away what was free and put a price on it but, it’s another when you make it so complicated to use. This is not a vacation any longer.
I agree but I think it’s been quite complicated for a number of years now. It’s just that everyone has to learn the new system now, not just the newbies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter