Disney Genie announcement

So I’m confused about the individual attraction selections. You have to but then the Day Of right? So there are only 8 rides in total to choose from. So I want Remy and ROTR. So I have a park ressie for HS first. So I believe I will be able to,at 7am, go into the app and buy an available time slot for ROTR. It will be a purchase with a time available and cost and check out. Right? I’m not going to have to buy the option of IA$ first to even look at available times right?
And when will I be able to buy Epcot Remy? Ugh!!!!!
This is so confusing. We will be there on the 24th so at least 5 days after launch but this is going to be crazy to try and navigate through in the beginning. I’m praying someone will video their experience so we can get a feel for how it works.

Molly's video (from AllEars.net) was very good. She did mention a few things that they learned during the recent media presentation, which have not been disclosed on the website yet. She said that you can modify or delete Genie+ LL selections (not talking about ILL$), and she used the example that if you walk up to your LL ride and it only has a 5 minute standby wait, you can cancel or modify that LL choice and just do standby. I don't know if you will actually get better choices for another LL by doing this or if you would get the same options if you just go ahead and tap in for that LL ride and then make your next selection as usual. I have a suspicion the system is going to cap the number of LL rides you can do in a park each day, so maybe deleting one that has a short standby during your return time would be better??? Molly also said that LL options can run out, just like FP did, which I feel puts pressure on you to select your faves quickly and to not wait until the "next available time" is closer to when you actually want to ride (looking at you SDD at night!) So much unknown for this genie-pig!

even if Genie+ is a next available, I can still choose say Big Thunder at 11 am, if that’s what’s available or just choose Little Mermaid and not ride it (if next available is 9-10 and I will be there after 10)

Molly's video (from AllEars.net) was very good. She did mention a few things that they learned during the recent media presentation, which have not been disclosed on the website yet. She said that you can modify or delete Genie+ LL selections (not talking about ILL$), and she used the example that if you walk up to your LL ride and it only has a 5 minute standby wait, you can cancel or modify that LL choice and just do standby. I don't know if you will actually get better choices for another LL by doing this or if you would get the same options if you just go ahead and tap in for that LL ride and then make your next selection as usual. I have a suspicion the system is going to cap the number of LL rides you can do in a park each day, so maybe deleting one that has a short standby during your return time would be better??? Molly also said that LL options can run out, just like FP did, which I feel puts pressure on you to select your faves quickly and to not wait until the "next available time" is closer to when you actually want to ride (looking at you SDD at night!) So much unknown for this genie-pig!
I think the benefit of not “ tapping in” is that if you do standby then you could possibly do the ride twice by picking a later LL through Genie +. Unless they somehow see you went through as a standby but that would be too creepy !!!

even if Genie+ is a next available, I can still choose say Big Thunder at 11 am, if that’s what’s available or just choose Little Mermaid and not ride it (if next available is 9-10 and I will be there after 10)
My only concern is that the system may operate to cap the number of rides you can do thru G+LL each day, in which case you would not want to book throw-aways. Disney will never disclose this though if it is the case, but there have to be limits due to ride capacity limits and balance between G+LL and standby they will try to achieve. So much unknown...

I think the benefit of not “ tapping in” is that if you do standby then you could possibly do the ride twice by picking a later LL through Genie +. Unless they somehow see you went through as a standby but that would be too creepy !!!
That would be the benefit, and I don't think they want to prevent re-riding. They just want to limit G+LL to once per ride per day. We should still be able to go through standby on same rides as many times as we want.

How would the strategy of selecting and not riding be helpful?
I can modify it, instead of having to go through selection screen when things are crashing. I’m thinking of ADRs and FP+ But maybe I’m at a disadvantage if I arrive right at 10 and it locks me out of getting a pass because of the other one (and we’re in a different side of the park so can’t just hop in and ride it).

My only concern is that the system may operate to cap the number of rides you can do thru G+LL each day, in which case you would not want to book throw-aways. Disney will never disclose this though if it is the case, but there have to be limits due to ride capacity limits and balance between G+LL and standby they will try to achieve. So much unknown...
I think that for most of the parks the limits on any individual guest will be a function of the once-per-attraction rule for Genie+. Aside from MK, which has 17 Genie+ attractions, there won't be a need to apply a cap on the number a guest can use. Epcot has 10 if you count both green and orange MS as separate attractions. HS has 12 (many of which are stage shows). And AK has 8, including FotLK, FFiF, and the Animation Experience.

DLR may be a different story given that there are considerably more attractions between DL and DCA.

yes what this system is- is a in real Time system. You are right. If you aren't rope dropping then you won't have a reason to book at 7am. At 7am return times are going to be for the first hour the park is open. You are correct you will want to watch the times for when you think you will get into the parks.
If I can offer reassurance tho- this is exactly how maxpass worked and I never felt like I couldn't enjoy my mornings we weren't rope dropping. It also mean that while we were at breakfast or whatever - that I could start stacking them for when we would be in the park. The same strategy works for mid day breaks.
So, referring back to maxpass....if you waited until you got into the park what would the "normal" expected return time befor something like space mnt?

The question seems to remain as to when you can book the 2nd attraction - whether that is at 7am, after the first is used, or after you arrive at the second park.

Am I losing my mind or did I read it was two hours after you made the first ILL reservation OR tapped into the line for your first ILL selection?

Sorry if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if Genie+ and LL will have to be purchased for all members of my traveling party? My son and I will be visiting in January. I’m debating if it will be worth purchasing both knowing that there are some rides like FOP that I can’t ride due to limited range of motion in my right leg. Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if Genie+ and LL will have to be purchased for all members of my traveling party? My son and I will be visiting in January. I’m debating if it will be worth purchasing both knowing that there are some rides like FOP that I can’t ride due to limited range of motion in my right leg. Thanks in advance.

I would sure hope you could purchase attractions or Genie+ for only a few people in your group (same as with dining reservations, boarding groups, or Fastpass selections).

They should have just increased the price of Genie+ by $5 and offered virtual queues for the most popular rides. It’s just adding stress vs just getting to the park and riding whatever.

I would like to see a reserved fireworks viewing area.

I would think rider switch will be like the virtual queue, so everyone 3 and up (with tickets) has to get one if they are all riding (even the waiting parent/grandparents etc), now one kid only gets to go with the waiting parent again.

Here's one of my new planning challenges, thanks to G+/ILL$.

We land at 12:25 on the first day of our trip. Anticipating the shorter stand-by lines that we've seen without FP, or with a return of normal 60+ day FP, I had planned for us to go to DHS for the evening. DS really wants to ride RnRC and then we will do whatever else we can. In the past, to maximize time, I would have booked evening FP+ and felt comfortable, relaxed and excited with this start to our vacation. Now, I feel like who knows what things will look like or if there's any way to get off to a similar relaxed start. On a short day like that, I would have even paid $15 (or more) per person for 3 fastpasses booked in advance. But will I pay $15 pp for the potential to get more than one LL? I know I most likely won't be able to use any of the "next available" times if I get G+ at 7am (side question: If I'm checked into my hotel, but not on property yet, will I be given 7am perks?) So now, I have to sit and refresh, looking for when the next available time makes sense for our arrival and then decide if I want to gamble with that $45 and hope there would be at least one or two other LLs available after we use that. I suppose clarification to the 120 minute rule will help, but I'm still looking at monitoring an app rather than relaxing.

I really hope we get some fantastic reports out of how this system actually works for people. But considering our trip is booked over the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm not feeling very hopeful that it will work for us. The higher price points for the ILLs and the overall increase in crowds are seriously making us reconsider it. I'm concerned the higher crowds will make us feel G+ is necessary and that is a significant and very real $ factor that could change our minds to reschedule this trip. DS has already asked to switch to Universal, but we have WDW tickets purchased (which I'm considering switching to a later date if we cancel).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter