Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

The key there is Disney Groups. Those are groups of people that travel there regularly and don't want the change. The overwhelming majority of Disney World guests are first time or very infrequent travelers. That is who all of these changes are aiming for. The people who didn't know about FP+ reservations 60 days out that showed up at parks and couldn't get fastpasses for any top ride. The people who probably didn't even realize what Magical Express was, so didn't use it anyways. Those are the people all of these changes will benefit in the long run. Will Disney take a hit with their loyal fanbases in the meantime? Of course, but I think they believe that there will be 2 happy people to take the place of every 1 unhappy one that decides to never return.
i wanted to bring this one back up again, only becasuse i've seen something this week that I haven't seen before. Now its no longer just Disney Groups, but groups or travel social media blogs and social media accounts that are talking about it in a negative way.

Theme Park Tourist is one i follow, they arent just disney, they're all theme parks, and they just ran a piece on it.

I think it was Disney Food Blog, that ran a blog on it as well. There are a handful of others, generally these put out pretty positive things about Disney, this round it seems different.

People always hate change. People were complaining about FastPass+ when they made the change. Heck before they stopped fastpass+ people were still complaining about fastpass+.

Disney will never please everyone and it’s clear that they were going to change fastpass.

Honestly I wish they would have just completely ripped the band air off and went the UO and Six Flags Route. Instead of cheaper half measures. That would have probably pissed off more people though.

Something like $69-99 per day for Epcot, $89-119 for AK, $109-139 for HS, and $119-$149 for MK. Based on dynamic pricing(off peak/peak etc). Then the top e ticket in each park would stay standby only.

Last edited:
The key there is Disney Groups. Those are groups of people that travel there regularly and don't want the change. The overwhelming majority of Disney World guests are first time or very infrequent travelers. That is who all of these changes are aiming for. The people who didn't know about FP+ reservations 60 days out that showed up at parks and couldn't get fastpasses for any top ride. The people who probably didn't even realize what Magical Express was, so didn't use it anyways. Those are the people all of these changes will benefit in the long run. Will Disney take a hit with their loyal fanbases in the meantime? Of course, but I think they believe that there will be 2 happy people to take the place of every 1 unhappy one that decides to never return.

These are exactly my thoughts as well. Time will tell if this gamble benefits their bottom line or bites them in the butt. We won't see the true result, I believe, until after the 50th celebration is over. In the meantime, I will be taking this next trip (the one I booked when I thought FP+ would be back by the time we took it) and then saying good-bye to Disney Parks for a bit. Call it a *trial separation*-- I think we need to see other *people*. As is obviously their plan: they need to cater to the one and done guest and me (loyal since 1987) well, I need to see what my "Vacation Fund" (previously known as "Disney Fund") will buy me at other destinations. Gonna play the field for a bit.
i wanted to bring this one back up again, only becasuse i've seen something this week that I haven't seen before. Now its no longer just Disney Groups, but groups or travel social media blogs and social media accounts that are talking about it in a negative way.

Theme Park Tourist is one i follow, they arent just disney, they're all theme parks, and they just ran a piece on it.

I think it was Disney Food Blog, that ran a blog on it as well. There are a handful of others, generally these put out pretty positive things about Disney, this round it seems different.

I'm going to be watching/listening to those today! THX.

Funny you mentioned this. Last week when we were there we saw an unusual amount of people going through lightning lane. We knew it was the DAS entrance and there were a few papers in hand so a paper fast pass may have been given, but there was a good amount of people using it. I often said “I wonder if they are the genie plus and lightning lane testers”

In addition to IT issues I get the sense that the Disney marketing team is not up to par with its usual level. I used to marvel at Disney for their brilliant marketing - both strategic and advertising. I think I’ve studied them as a company more than anything else in life. They were the gold standard. Lately I‘ve definitely noticed a change in tone. I’m not sure if this is different personnel and decision makers due to Chapek, or if it’s new personnel due to the pandemic, but either way, it is different and I don’t think for the better.

I had not read the Genie announcement on my own in its entirety and in the Disney presentation of ituntil a few days ago. The attitude of “we‘ve been listening to your feedback, you want this and that” was actually really in contrast to the way that they usually market. To tell us “we’ve made significant investments” - that’s language for an earnings call, not an advertisement/or release. For me, even tho it logically makes sense that they are trying to sell it as we really care about what u say, it breaks a subconscious expectation that I have with Disney - disney is about magic. I don’t want them to speak directly to me as a company. I just want them to make my day magical. They didn’t need to mention these things that people evidently didn’t like about them (too much planning needed etc). And to advertise that they are ALMOST ready to tell us about it - It really is not a good look. So i agree that they are probably having IT bugs to finish up. But I also think this is a sign that they don’t have the same Disney mentality in marketing that they used to. Not just in guest experience, but also in actual advertising.

Last edited:
Our radio morning show just talked about how Disney World is something you could do as a kid and not now. They were talking about ticket prices and other stuff that Disney has changed. People notice. Disney groups are just louder about it lol

Going this weekend. Will report back if there are any kids there.

There have always been lots of kids there. Even pre-pamdemic during the school year.
Absolutely (I was one of them at one time!). I just know a lot of districts are not allowing you to be pulled out of school for vacations due to online learning being most if not all of last year. (They obviously allow being pulled out for emergencies and funerals and conferences, but vacation policies have changed for this year).

Last edited:
In addition to IT issues I get the sense that the Disney marketing team is not up to par with its usual level. I used to marvel at Disney for their brilliant marketing - both strategic and advertising. I think I’ve studied them as a company more than anything else in life. They were the gold standard. Lately I‘ve definitely noticed a change in tone. I’m not sure if this is different personnel and decision makers due to Chapek, or if it’s new personnel due to the pandemic, but either way, it is different and I don’t think for the better.

I had not read the Genie announcement on my own in its entirety and in the Disney presentation of ituntil a few days ago. The attitude of “we‘ve been listening to your feedback, you want this and that” was actually really in contrast to the way that they usually market. To tell us “we’ve made significant investments” - that’s language for an earnings call, not an advertisement/or release. For me, even tho it logically makes sense that they are trying to sell it as we really care about what u say, it breaks a subconscious expectation that I have with Disney - disney is about magic. I don’t want them to speak directly to me as a company. I just want them to make my day magical. They didn’t need to mention these things that people evidently didn’t like about them (too much planning needed etc). And to advertise that they are ALMOST ready to tell us about it - It really is not a good look. So i agree that they are probably having IT bugs to finish up. But I also think this is a sign that they don’t have the same Disney mentality in marketing that they used to. Not just in guest experience, but also in actual advertising.

The words "re-imagining" now have a negative connotation to me. The dictionary might have to add "opening your wallet" as a definition :rotfl2:

Our radio morning show just talked about how Disney World is something you could do as a kid and not now. They were talking about ticket prices and other stuff that Disney has changed. People notice. Disney groups are just louder about it lol

I heard this same topic on radio shows I listened to back in 2004 when I went to WDW WWoS for the Paintball Collegiate National Championships then again in 2014 when I was planning our first trip. This is nothing new...at least since 2005 that is.

I heard this same topic on radio shows I listened to back in 2004 when I went to WDW WWoS for the Paintball Collegiate National Championships then again in 2014 when I was planning our first trip. This is nothing new...at least since 2005 that is.
Maybe not new but definitely stronger and more widespread with regard to people's reactions. People are noticing and it goes beyond the Disney fan communities.

Is anyone surprised - day before the 50th and wait times are really low:

7DMT - 40 mins
Splash - 10 mins
Slinky - 50 mins
RoTR - 90 mins
MMRR - 40 mins
Smuggler's Run - 20 mins
Test Track - 20 mins
Soarin' - 10 mins
Frozen - 35 mins
Flight of Passage - 30 mins

I thought wait times would get progressively worse because of people traveling in early for the 50th, I'm sure tomorrow will be packed and this weekend - but I thought things would be getting worse leading up to today.

Can't sell Genie+ if the lines are short...

7DMT - 40 mins
Splash - 10 mins
Slinky - 50 mins
RoTR - 90 mins
MMRR - 40 mins
Smuggler's Run - 20 mins
Test Track - 20 mins
Soarin' - 10 mins
Frozen - 35 mins

I thought wait times would get progressively worse because of people traveling in early for the 50th, I'm sure tomorrow will be packed and this weekend - but I thought things would be getting worse leading up to today.

I was just looking at this trend and trying to figure out where it may be discussed lol. What’s surprising to me is a crowd estimate has parks at 5 today but wait times seem comparable to earlier in week when parks were 1s. Anyone with feet on ground to comment how crowds today are vs earlier this week or month?

i believe that Disney has used that line previously when talking about adding onto the parks. I don't think telling people that they have essentially spared no expense is earnings call talk, and i can appreciate that. i still feel like they market the magic, just look at their 50th commercials. i just don't know how you can launch something new without delving into expense

I agree, Disney is reaches every corner of American culture, whenever they do something, people talk about it everywhere. i can remember hearing about them changing dumbo a few years back, and that to me was the biggest nothing story that could be.

7DMT - 40 mins
Splash - 10 mins
Slinky - 50 mins
RoTR - 90 mins
MMRR - 40 mins
Smuggler's Run - 20 mins
Test Track - 20 mins
Soarin' - 10 mins
Frozen - 35 mins

HAHA, i think you'd be surprised, FOMO would kick in, and people would still purchase it. i also think low crowds could benefit Disney during the launch, bugs could get squashed pretty quickly, and demand wouldn't cripple the system

Thanks - adding it to the FAQ on the first post. This is surprising but it actually makes sense I think, anyone with MaxPass experience know if it worked similarly there? It should reduce competition for Lightning Lane passes at the more popular rides - at the same time, it might leave the Lightning Lanes a lot less crowded which would be a positive for the standby line (and those who don't want to pay for Genie+).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter