Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

I used the MaxPass in Disneyland a few years ago and really liked it for $10 per day per person. I thought it was better than the FastPass system. But this in my view is nothing but a money grab and a price gouge. I think Disney overpriced it at $15. I might not mind it if it included ALL of the FastPass rides. The extra fee is beyond the pale. Thanks Disney for sticking you finger in the customer's eye once again.

I used the MaxPass in Disneyland a few years ago and really liked it for $10 per day per person. I thought it was better than the FastPass system. But this in my view is nothing but a money grab and a price gouge. I think Disney overpriced it at $15. I might not mind it if it included ALL of the FastPass rides. The extra fee is beyond the pale. Thanks Disney for sticking you finger in the customer's eye once again.

Yup. The extra fee for headliners feels icky to me.

Chapek's compensation in FY20 was reported @ $14.2M. This was a very, very low compensation rate for a Disney CEO as Iger earned $21.9M in his first full year as CEO in 2006. However, even given this barging basement compensation in 2020, Chapek's $14.2M would pay for a family of four to purchase Lightning Lane access @ $15 pp / per day, 365 days a year for over 648 years. I wonder why Bob cannot relate as to why this upsets so many people?

Last edited:

We aren't part of the rope drop crowd so getting up at 7am to have "first shot" at making one Lightning Lane reservation and potentially pay for 2 premium attractions is of no value to us. We stopped staying on-property a couple years ago because they had stripped away most of the value. This just makes me feel even more confident in that decision.

What I don't see a lot of people talking about is that this system really has nothing to do with the guests. Disney has always used wait times to drive crowds where they want them in the parks. This new free Genie service with "customized planning" just lets them do that on a whole new level. Everything about this serves Disney first and the guests a distant second.

But when you have kids, wouldn't you want to not have to wait in long lines? I would probably do it the opposite way so as to avoid grumpy kids. Just save a bit more before you take that family trip.
My kids are going to call my bluff as well. . .

if youre only paying for one person...maybe.

this is a big increase for families though.
I have a party of 8 for my upcoming trip so I understand the cost for larger groups. We will be cutting one of our 2020 planned dessert parties/EMM type experiences at this point to cover the G+ cost especially since we have no idea if those events will be brought back for our trip.

If you go to WDW a lot then this doesn't make sense to pay for G+ ever (maybe just an E-ticket ride or two if you don't need to pay for G+ also). However for families who only go to WDW 1 or 2 times in their life this is an inexpensive extra compared to the trip as a whole and at $15 I doubt many park guests will skip it when it comes down to it.

For me personally not really needing to lock down a park touring plan at 70 days before arrival then at 60+ days scramble for FP+ and readjust the plan THEN not being able to change up which park we go to based on updated park hours or some other newly released attraction/event is already worth a good portion of this $600 minimum fee we will be paying in itself.

What I don't see a lot of people talking about is that this system really has nothing to do with the guests. Disney has always used wait times to drive crowds where they want them in the parks. This new free Genie service with "customized planning" just lets them do that on a whole new level. Everything about this serves Disney first and the guests a distant second.

This, and the new system actually incentivizes Disney to provide worse service. Many rides (Tier 1s, especially) are notoriously unreliable, and some (like Space Mountain) have variable capacity depending on how Disney decides to run them. So on a bad day (breakdowns, reduced capacity), surge pricing will likely kick in due to a higher demand to capacity ratio. Disney will get more money selling LLs when they are providing less capacity (likely at less expense to them, too).

At every angle, this system is ripe for abuse by Disney.

$15pp/pd is too reasonable so I am thinking after the G+ rollout/testing this Fall/Winter then price will jump to $25pp/pd in time for Spring Break 22.
Yeah, there’s no way it’s staying at $15. At $15 basically everyone who ever used the FP+ previously will buy it. It’ll be a necessity since the standby lines for things like Ariel & IASW are now going to be unbearable again because the fastpass lines are “back.” I do think this is going to drive people off property. I have no idea why anyone would stay at a moderate or value right now. Disney’s internal bus transportation was absolutely abysmal on our last trip so that’s definitely not a reason for it.

posted on another site:

Just a little humor- add your additions if you please (sign into genie to make sure your add-ons are not chargeable)

Lumiere:

Ma chere Mademoiselle, it is with deepest pride
and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight.
Genie:
Please log onto your Genie plus account and pay $15.00 if you wish to continue
Lumiere:
And now we invite you to relax, let us pull up your
chair as the dining room proudly presents -
your dinner!
Genie:
log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted and pay the following choices:
Chair- $25.00. Stand-$23.99
Lumiere:
Be our guest! Be our guest!
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, cherie
And we'll provide the rest
Genie:
log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted and pay the following choices:
Napkin- $43.99, Use your sleave-$29.99, No napkin-$13.99
Lumiere:
Soup du jour’
Genie:
log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted to pay $59.99.
Lumiere:
Hot hors d'oeuvres
Genie:
log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted to pay $59.99.
Lumiere:
Why, we only live to serve
Genie:
log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted to pay $99.99.
Lumiere:
Try the grey stuff
Genie:
log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted to pay $99.99.
Chip:
It's delicious
Genie:
Thank You! Log into your Gene plus account and pay $24.99 and find out how this will lead to substantial commercial opportunities for us!
Lumiere:
Don't believe me? Ask the dishes
Genie:
China plate- $43.99, Paper plate-$29.99, Use your hands -$19.99
Lumiere:
They can sing, they can dance
After all, Miss, this is France
And a dinner here is never second best
Genie:
Singing and dance experience- $79.99, France encounter $25k, France via Epcot encounter $14k, second best service, all-inclusive-$999.99. (Please see upgrade for real butter-$23.99)
Lumiere:
Go on, unfold your menu
Take a glance and then you'll
Be our guest
Oui, our guest
Be our guest!
Genie:
Menu- $69.99, Verbal Menu- $59.99 (add $9.99 for each repeated item) Paper menu- $49.99, Take a guess to order something $29.99
Lumiere and Chorus:
Beef ragout, Genie: log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted to pay $159.99.
Cheese soufflé Genie: log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted to pay $159.99.
Pie and pudding "en flambe" Genie: log onto your Genie plus account where you will be prompted to pay $159.99. (add additional $29.99 for any flame experience’s)
Lumiere:
We'll prepare and serve with flair
A culinary cabaret!
Genie:
Chef does the cooking- $399.00, Line cook, experienced-$329.99, Random guest from park does the cooking-$299.99, You cook it yourself $298.99.
Lumiere:
You're alone
And you're scared
But the banquet's all prepared
Genie:
Someone to sit with you-$499.99, someone to comfort you-499.99.
Lumiere:
No one's gloomy or complaining
While the flatware's entertaining
We tell jokes! I do tricks
With my fellow candlesticks
Genie:
Equity silverware-$1999.99, Plasticware $1799.99, eat with your fingers $599.00.
Equity Jokes and tricks-$1999.99, No jokes and tricks- $999.00. (Please add $299.99 per each candlestick and $199.99 if you care to have them lighted)
Chorus:
And it's all in perfect taste
That you can bet-Genie $299.99 per bet
Come on and lift your glass-Genie: $299 for glass, $199 for plastic, $99.99 to use your hands.

You've won your own free pass-Genie-Sign into Virtual Q at 0530am limited spots, so be fast. Or select the paid option for $99.99
To be out guest
Lumiere:
If you're stressed-Genie: $299 for comforting, $399.00 for you to walk out.
It's fine dining we suggest -Genie:$1299.99 for fine dining, $1099.99 sit-down, $999.99 Quick service, go to Mickey Ds $899.99

Tonight you'll prop your feet up
But for now, let's eat up
Be our guest!
Be our guest!
Be our guest!
Please, be our guest!

I don't see many people using the planning option - it sounds like they are just taking Touring Plans and creating their own version. We've used TP in the past to plan trips but it's more of a fun pre planning tool to get a general idea and the day of it is pretty worthless. It's still a fun tool, just not very real time useful.

I think I agree with the sentiment of they should have just sold the old fastpass+ system at an upcharge. This new system has all kinds of question marks, maybe they'll work themselves out - but I would rather pay for 3 FP that I know I was going to get and not scramble with anxiety on the day of to get value out of this system.

Knew this was coming, and I am sure there will continue to be many, many folks happy to pay this, but for a 10+ year Disney fan - this is going to make me feel VERY, VERY negatively about the company for a LONG time. I hate the increase in added fees they have been doing the past few years.

Me too. I want to go for the 50th at some point, but after that? Eh. Europe is cheaper.

I guess it's time to do Disney old school style again! Go early and stay late for minimal waits (hopefully). Sorry but I'm not paying for "fastpass"

Yeah, there’s no way it’s staying at $15. At $15 basically everyone who ever used the FP+ previously will buy it. It’ll be a necessity since the standby lines for things like Ariel & IASW are now going to be unbearable again because the fastpass lines are “back.” I do think this is going to drive people off property. I have no idea why anyone would stay at a moderate or value right now. Disney’s internal bus transportation was absolutely abysmal on our last trip so that’s definitely not a reason for it.
Totally agree. Without the onsite FP+ booking benefit only having the 30min EM1/2H is not worth the cost of staying onsite. Use the savings of staying offsite to pay for G+ and 2 E-ticket LL for your main park days and you will still likely be saving money.

My feelings on this hinge a lot on how much the premium rides are going to cost, tbh. $15 a day is pretty reasonable to me (cost of one adult beverage to skip lines? Sure), but since it excludes the top rides, how much extra will that add on? Super curious about that.

The thing with this is, there is no overhead so their profit margins are going to be larger. They'd rather you spend the money on this intangible service than on a stuffy they already paid money to put in their stores. That said, they also spent a buttload I'm sure on developing this thing.
No, there has to be plenty of ongoing IT costs. I'm sure they did spend a ton on development, but maintaining and supporting it will be a huge money sink as well.

It's fantastic right now with no FastPass. Only standby and single rider lines. Heck, even Soarin' has only been a 15 minute wait the last couple of times we've been to Epcot in the last few weeks. Now it's going to get gummed up with all this extra garbage, and people staring even more intently into their phones.

This, and the new system actually incentivizes Disney to provide worse service. Many rides (Tier 1s, especially) are notoriously unreliable, and some (like Space Mountain) have variable capacity depending on how Disney decides to run them. So on a bad day (breakdowns, reduced capacity), surge pricing will likely kick in due to a higher demand to capacity ratio. Disney will get more money selling LLs when they are providing less capacity (likely at less expense to them, too).

At every angle, this system is ripe for abuse by Disney.
I see it as the opposite. They will want MORE people through the LL line so they will have an opportunity to make the most amount of LL money as possible. So it actually incentivizes them to have the rides working. They will actually have a dollar amount of what they are losing in lost LL productivity so they know exactly how much it is costing them in real dollars rather than just customer experience with when you have a bottom line minded CEO of a jammed packed facility, that really doesn't matter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter