• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney for Expectant Moms

Max

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone,

My family and I will be visiting Disney World Feb. 5th-10th. I'll be 15 weeks and I've been reading about all the rides that are not recommended for expectant moms. On some websites I've seen where a few rides were fine (Splash Mtn., The Safari, Kali River Rapids and Soarin) My question is why are the rides restricted and if the restriction varies depending on how far along a woman is.

Max

Hi Max Welcome to the DIS and Congratulations :wave:

Have you checked out the Disney for Families Board :)

Hello Everyone,

My family and I will be visiting Disney World Feb. 5th-10th. I'll be 15 weeks and I've been reading about all the rides that are not recommended for expectant moms. On some websites I've seen where a few rides were fine (Splash Mtn., The Safari, Kali River Rapids and Soarin) My question is why are the rides restricted and if the restriction varies depending on how far along a woman is.

Max

i went there when i was 5 months pregnant and we drove from VA. imo, i think the restrictions recommend that ANY pregnant woman, regardless of what trimester you are in, should either not ride or use extreme caution. I personally don't remember going on any rides..maybe the big paddle boat at MK and carousel etc. They have to post that for your safety as well as protect themselves from lawsuits. Personally, in my first trimester, I would go on most of they rides except ones that really "jar" you like the Kilamanjaro Safari or River Rapids or maybe some coasters. But I would only do that if I didn't have nausea or dizziness. But that's me. It didn't apply to me because I was 5 almost 6 months along when we went and i t was my 2nd pregnancy so I was more relaxed about it). I would recommend to watch what you eat. There was soo much good food and I was so hungry...when I got back I gained too much weight and ended up with gestational diabetes too.

I went when I was 12 weeks pregnant. I basically avoided any ride that could be jarring. I specifically avoided the roller coasters, flumes, and the safari ride, although having been on it since you can probably do that. The rides you have to be careful with are noted when you go on. There is still plenty to ride.

Be careful and have a great time!

and i rode everything but tot, ms & rnr. i even talked to a girl who was 5 1/2 months along after she got off space mt.....those rides are pretty mild. the warning is basically for disney's benefit.....but ask your hcp. when i go back in a few weeks, i plan on riding the same rides again.
amie

oh, i rode safari, kali rapids, dinosaur, btmr, sm, starwars, barnstormer, but not splash mt bc it was too cold.

How long ago was this, did you talk with you Doc. 1st and have you had your baby yet?

Why take a chance? My doctor used to say, "you probably won't cause a miscarriage by lifting something or vacuuming, but if you have one you'll torture yourself wondering if you did". Talk to your doctor.

1. Test Track
2. Splash Mountain®
3. Mission: SPACE
4. "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror"
5. Kilimanjaro Safaris®
6. Dolphins in Depth
7. Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway
8. Star Tours
9. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
10. Walt Disney World® Resort - Kali River Rapids®
11. Body Wars
12. The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm
13. Primeval Whirl®
14. Space Mountain®
15. DINOSAUR®
16. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith

The danger of riding them is that if you are early along, the jarring action or the possibility of getting bumped around on the more violent rides can cause you to miscarry. If you're farther along, it can cause you to hurt your back or bring on early labor. Disney protects itself from lawsuits by posting the risk. Ask your doctor about it. In the end, it's up to you to determine what risks you are willing to take. I chose to play it safe and ride only the gentle rides, and I still had a ball. Just being at Disney is a wonderful thing.

actually i don't see the midwife until tomorrow.......i was 9 wks or so (i can't keep track) and i'm just 2 weeks or so further than that.

1. Test Track - rode it once
2. Splash Mountain® n/a
3. Mission: SPACE
4. "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror"
5. Kilimanjaro Safaris® rode 2x
6. Dolphins in Depth
7. Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway rode once...i think the exhaust was worse than the ride
8. Star Tours once
9. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at least 8 times
10. Walt Disney World® Resort - Kali River Rapids® 3x in a row
11. Body Wars
12. The Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre Farm at least 4x
13. Primeval Whirl® 3x
14. Space Mountain® 2x
15. DINOSAUR® 1x
16. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith

i made my choice & i will probably ride all of these again...some hcp are conservative others are not. i did ask my friend who is an ob & he said those should be ok. you must use your own judgement...if i were high risk, that might make a difference.

oh, people miscarry while they are riding in a car or walking down the street...i firmly believe that mild rides are not going to cause a problem...some women exert more energy & force exercising or riding a bike.
amie

At Disneyland, I was 7 mos and was about to still ride things like small world, peter pan etc.

Went in January last year and I was 5 mos. preg. Still rode most rides, all fantasyland rides, shows etc. Avoided things like Space Mtn, Splash Mtn., Dinosaur ride etc.

I rode Safari. I read in the Unofficial guide that if you rode in the front row of the Safari that it is not too bumpy and they are right. It was not bad at all.

There are still LOTS of things that you can do there...the most important thing will be that you drink LOTS of water, make sure you eat and you take breaks and rest. Too much will wear you out!!

:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter