Disney first-timer questions!

snwflk5773

Earning My Ears
So, my partner and I were thinking of taking a trip to Disney World sometime this year but i have a few concerns. I haven't been since I was a little kid and my partner has never been before and my concern is that i don't want to feel "out of place" as a gay couple at Disney.

Does anyone have any advice or can tell me what to expect?

Thanks!

So, my partner and I were thinking of taking a trip to Disney World sometime this year but i have a few concerns. I haven't been since I was a little kid and my partner has never been before and my concern is that i don't want to feel "out of place" as a gay couple at Disney.

Does anyone have any advice or can tell me what to expect?

Thanks!

um, in regards to what? If you are into making out in public - you may anger a few folks, but otherwise Disney treats gay couples the same as hetero...no issue, no worries!

Relax and enjoy the trip!

Not to worry, you'll be fine!

Disney parks (in North America and in Paris, at least) are VERY gay-friendly. A large % of cast are gay, while most of the ones that aren't are very gay-friendly. Guests seem to have a notion of "diversity" and are either very nice to us or they simply leave us alone. In all my visits, I've only had one person act rude towards us, based on our sexuality.

WDW was the best place to honeymoon in 2006, after our marriage. We had a great time wearing the "Recently Married" buttons and having cast and guests congratulate us all the time.

I've also begun to take note of other gay couples around us (at dinners, at parades, etc.). The last parade we saw, we met a lady (standing beside us the whole time) who asked us about our relationship and then proceeded to tell about hers (and comparing our marriage laws to hers, etc.).

Actually, the parks are so gay-friendly, that's why we bought into Disney Vacation Club! It isn't Young or Castro, but it sure beats the heck out of any other major tourist destination for where I would choose to stay with my husband.

We have never felt out of place. I think most of the guests are so wrapped up in the Magic, they are not even thinking of who is around them, let alone who those people are with. No one has even batted an eye at us in our many visits and we definitely have not experienced any negativity. I know the cast is aware of us, it is pretty obvious when two guys check in and they are getting a king bed, there are cologne bottles and men's deodorant only in the room and all the dinner reservations are for two guys only. Not one has ever (or at least not appeared to) have an issue.

Have fun and let us know what you felt when you get back from your awesome trip to the World!

My partner and I have gone on countless occasions. We did have one amusing moment when we checked in the Boardwalk Inn (funny as heck to us but the cast member was mortified at her assumptions) but that was it. The cast members are amazing. The guests are there to enjoy themselves as much as you are.

As padalyn said, if you make out, and more, in front of others, it likely will tick them off. But that goes for just about any gross public display of affection I would think, whether gay or straight.

Just go, enjoy yourself, have fun.

My partner and I have gone on countless occasions. We did have one amusing moment when we checked in the Boardwalk Inn (funny as heck to us but the cast member was mortified at her assumptions) but that was it.

Story please!:thumbsup2

No, I say other things like they're bad things, like Lycra jumpsuit or Pink Chiffon Bridesmaid's dress. Now those are bad thing. WOW that was not a masculine sentence AT ALL!! *turns on ESPN*

Story please!:thumbsup2

Not that big a deal but here goes.

Joe and I were staying at the BWI to celebrate our anniversary in high falootin' style. I had called ahead and had asked if at all possible, we'd like a room with a king bed. When we checked in, the cast member (a perky, very cute young lady) went through the motions, conducted the busy as per norm, then did a double take. She said, "I see that you're room is ready, but they put you two in a king room." Looking at us up and down with a smile, she joked, "Now I KNOW you two didn't want to sleep together so let me fix that for you guys." And she giggled to herself.

I quickly jumped in and said, "Actually, I requested a king room. We're celebrating our 13 anniversary on this trip! Please don't change it!"

She looked up at me, smiling, thinking at first that I was joking but when she saw I wasn't, she did her perky double take and started stuttering, "I'm so... sorry... not sorry that... y'know, that you're... I mean... no... I mean, I'm sorry I.... a king room... I assumed....." Joe was trying so hard not to snicker behind me so I just leaned in and said quietly, "Don't be embarrassed, it's an honest mistake. I know we looked like soccer dad's on a golf trip." Which made Joe crack up rather loudly.

She and I ended up joking about it and after she had her composure back, said, "Here are you room keys, and I am really, really sorry I made such an assumption. I know better. Some of my best friends are.... y'know." And in a stage whisper, she and I both said at the same time, "GAY?!"

It could have been awkward but it was just a mistake which ended up making us all laugh. She really was a trouper after we corrected her and she made up for it by switching our room, still in a king of course, to one with an absolutely specacular view of Epcot. And she sent up a platter of chocolate covered strawberries and a chocolate "picture" of the Boardwalk. She also sent along a note wishing us a happy anniversary.

We saw her later and she said that she hopes she helped make our day a special one. She definitely did!

Not that big a deal but here goes.

Joe and I were staying at the BWI to celebrate our anniversary in high falootin' style. I had called ahead and had asked if at all possible, we'd like a room with a king bed. When we checked in, the cast member (a perky, very cute young lady) went through the motions, conducted the busy as per norm, then did a double take. She said, "I see that you're room is ready, but they put you two in a king room." Looking at us up and down with a smile, she joked, "Now I KNOW you two didn't want to sleep together so let me fix that for you guys." And she giggled to herself.

I quickly jumped in and said, "Actually, I requested a king room. We're celebrating our 13 anniversary on this trip! Please don't change it!"

She looked up at me, smiling, thinking at first that I was joking but when she saw I wasn't, she did her perky double take and started stuttering, "I'm so... sorry... not sorry that... y'know, that you're... I mean... no... I mean, I'm sorry I.... a king room... I assumed....." Joe was trying so hard not to snicker behind me so I just leaned in and said quietly, "Don't be embarrassed, it's an honest mistake. I know we looked like soccer dad's on a golf trip." Which made Joe crack up rather loudly.

She and I ended up joking about it and after she had her composure back, said, "Here are you room keys, and I am really, really sorry I made such an assumption. I know better. Some of my best friends are.... y'know." And in a stage whisper, she and I both said at the same time, "GAY?!"

It could have been awkward but it was just a mistake which ended up making us all laugh. She really was a trouper after we corrected her and she made up for it by switching our room, still in a king of course, to one with an absolutely specacular view of Epcot. And she sent up a platter of chocolate covered strawberries and a chocolate "picture" of the Boardwalk. She also sent along a note wishing us a happy anniversary.

We saw her later and she said that she hopes she helped make our day a special one. She definitely did!

That's awesome! Great story!

Stacey and I were on the cruise ship one time and the steward kept splitting the bed, after the second night we finally got ahold of him in the hall. After trying to explain that we really did want to sleep next to each other (he was still having a little trouble with our slang I think) he got it...a big smile and no more split bed!!

Had the opposite trouble when traveling with Stacey's mom - we DID want split beds. When we came into the room the bed was not split. Explained it and all was well.

Also with the characters,the first time I went we thought we would get no photos together with characters but there were no problems you get treated the same if you are a child,grown up or gay.

Perhaps your opion on this,
We never go hand in hand (we feel out of place and because of the children)but often walk with my arm on my friends shoulder(buddy like):rotfl:

Also with the characters,the first time I went we thought we would get no photos together with characters but there were no problems you get treated the same if you are a child,grown up or gay.

Perhaps your opion on this,
We never go hand in hand (we feel out of place and because of the children)but often walk with my arm on my friends shoulder(buddy like):rotfl:

I completely agree about the characters! Stacey and I were with Mickey one night (no one waiting to see him, and the guide was just hanging out!!) We had our Pal Mickey with us - well, Mickey was loving just palying with us with him...we have some great pics of Mickey holding Mickey!

Well, we were teasing Mickey about having pics taken with 2 girls...he pointed at his left hand then waved his right hand (saying "no ring") I asked if that meant he was free to play the field and he nodded yes!! well, we told him that he wasn't really the mouse for us...we all had a good laugh!

As far as holding hands - we do on occosion. In Europe it is very common for women to hold hands (straight or gay - just the way they walk together) or to hook arms. We have never had an issue, but as you said - in Fantasyland we tend to not hold hands. Otherwise, it is often a slight contact or walking close. Holding hands can be tough in the crowds...

I completely agree about the characters! Stacey and I were with Mickey one night (no one waiting to see him, and the guide was just hanging out!!) We had our Pal Mickey with us - well, Mickey was loving just palying with us with him...we have some great pics of Mickey holding Mickey!

Well, we were teasing Mickey about having pics taken with 2 girls...he pointed at his left hand then waved his right hand (saying "no ring") I asked if that meant he was free to play the field and he nodded yes!! well, we told him that he wasn't really the mouse for us...we all had a good laugh!

As far as holding hands - we do on occosion. In Europe it is very common for women to hold hands (straight or gay - just the way they walk together) or to hook arms. We have never had an issue, but as you said - in Fantasyland we tend to not hold hands. Otherwise, it is often a slight contact or walking close. Holding hands can be tough in the crowds...

That is a great story! I've had numerous experiences with characters. I figure all they get all day long is little kids wanting a hug. It's nice to have some fun with them and make their day too. I usually like to make a joke to Mickey that I saw him at Mannequins playing with the other field mice. I've used the same joke on chip and dale about Mickey not committing. The character breakfasts are great because you get a little more interaction with them.

Anyway I really need to have a pre-typed response to these topics when they come up. I think everyone has pretty much covered it, but to emphasize, you'll be fine. My bf and I celebrated 2 years last xmas and new years. We wore happy anniversary buttons, top hats, held hands, the whole works! The talking trash can talked to us about it, CMs constantly brought it out, one even shouted across a line of guests at POTC to ask how many years. I had a Disney photographer follow us around for an hour and I gave him a ring in front of the partners statue. We also did vic and A's and a wishes fireworks cruise afterward. You just can't put a price on that kind of acceptance. Maybe that's why even though I'm so angry at Disney for so many of the things they are doing, I still melt when I think about being there.

my partner and I go every year, and have never had a problem. In fact a couple of our closest friends are CM's that we've bonded with over the things we have in common. Now when we go back we meet up with them, and they've become our family in Orlando. Just go, have a good time and remember that you might have more in common with some of the good people working there than you think.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter