Disney files expansion plans for Caribbean Beach

I'm sure this is a really dense question, but how would they connect CBR to Epcot with a waterway since they would have to cross over Buena Vista Drive?

Destroing a few CBR buildings to build different buildings for the same resort doesn't make sense...

Disney has already done that at least twice with Bay Lake Tower and Saratoga Springs.

I think there are two options:
1) the new resort will be connected to the existing CBR and will share (some) amenities. In this case I don't think it will be part of the same system. The new buildings might be as good as you want, but they will be in people mind connected to a moderate resort and so a moderate DVC resort. People don't like to feel like they are purchasing something inferior to something already existing and paying the same price. It might be DVC2 or whatever, with some rules for exchanges, probably opened only to direct purchasers. Also: if points required per night are lower to justify its inclusion in the same club, MF would be much higher because there would be less points to divide the resort management budget.

Creating a "DVC2" creates even more psychological barriers than putting a DVC at a moderate. I realize that other timeshares have created a variety of subsystems to suit their convoluted marketing desires but I don't see DVC going that route. No sales tool is more powerful than being able to tell prospects that they have full access to not only the resort they're buying but Beach Club, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Grand Californian and others...at 7 months.

2) The new resort will be on grounds that now belong to CBR, but after the new construction it will be separated. Even if they are adjacent, there can be walls or landscaping separating the two. In this case it would be part of the existing system.

Landscaping perhaps but nothing overt.

IMO, the large new building reflected in plans will be on par with Disney Deluxe resorts. It will be home to the lobby, 1-2 restaurants, Community Hall and all of the other amenities Deluxe guests expect...along with the connected guest rooms. The plans show signs of construction around the pool area so there will be enhancements there.

DVC marketing materials will mostly showcase the new construction. It won't be hard to overcome 1990s notions of Caribbean Beach once people see the new accommodations. I don't expect any major changes to theme but a subtle name change may occur.

Meanwhile the new facilities will raise the profile of the remaining CBR guest rooms, allowing Disney to increase prices, occupancy or both.

The Deluxe/Moderate/Value lines have long been blurrier than we want to admit. The spectrum of Deluxe resorts has many variations in room size, location, amenities and quality of theming. Art of Animation really doesn't fit comfortably into either Value or Moderate.

But a bridge isn't a waterway, right? It's a bridge. No water involved. So why do people keep saying waterway?
People are speculating (wishing) that Disney will build a waterway from CBR to Epcot. This would involve bridging Buena Vista Dr over the new waterway.

People are speculating (wishing) that Disney will build a waterway from CBR to Epcot. This would involve bridging Buena Vista Dr over the new waterway.

Thank you. That's the piece my brain was missing. I had heard the speculation that Disney would/could build a bridge over the road so my brain was having a hard time jumping to building the road over a waterway. I'm all caught up now.

I don't believe there is anything that would legally stop them from announcing a new DVC resort. They do have to be upfront with disclosures stating the resort is not registered, etc.

Didn't they officially announce PVB before construction began due to a leak?

You are right, I forgot about that. The Notice of Commencement was 07/29/2013 and 09/17/2013 DVC announced that the Poly project was DVC and that construction would begin in September 2013. We speculated about it for so long because of leaks that I forgot the details. Thanks Michael.

they don't need to make it a separate system if they make this a moderate. they just simply need to charge about the same per point as they charge elsewhere and require half the points per room. that way they wouldn't overload the system (as the sum total of points would be half as much as a similarly sized deluxe) and they could attract other buyers by having a lower minimum purchase (if studios were 4 points per night 80 points goes a long way).

if they do that i would be quite happy with this as it would increases the flexibility inherent in the system.

they don't need to make it a separate system if they make this a moderate. they just simply need to charge about the same per point as they charge elsewhere and require half the points per room. that way they wouldn't overload the system (as the sum total of points would be half as much as a similarly sized deluxe) and they could attract other buyers by having a lower minimum purchase (if studios were 4 points per night 80 points goes a long way).

if they do that i would be quite happy with this as it would increases the flexibility inherent in the system.

And of course, give you smaller rooms and no king beds or kitchens.

And of course, give you smaller rooms and no king beds or kitchens.
Now that raises an interesting point. Disney built Art of Animation suites with kitchenettes instead of full kitchens. It could be an interesting wrinkle if Disney goes that route for CBR one- and two-bedroom villas. That could be part of what makes it a moderate and commanding fewer points per night.

Addressing the waterway question.....Disney has at least two waterways above roadways that I'm aware of.....the canal from Bay Lake to Seven Seas Lagoon is built above and crosses over World Drive which leads to the Contemporary, BLT, MK and MK backstage areas and there is a canal waterway behind the International Gateway which crosses over Epcot Resorts Blvd, which is the roadway which circles around Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Club, and Swan/Dolphin. So, if Disney chooses to build a waterway leading from CBR to Epcot, I'm sure they have the ability to do so. I do think in that location though a bridge (a foot bridge maybe) would be a more feasible option than a waterway since it would need to cross over the multi-laned Buena Vista Drive, and quite sure a waterway would be extremely expensive over that distance.

Now that raises an interesting point. Disney built Art of Animation suites with kitchenettes instead of full kitchens. It could be an interesting wrinkle if Disney goes that route for CBR one- and two-bedroom villas. That could be part of what makes it a moderate and commanding fewer points per night.
There are lots of things they could do. As I've said a number of times before, it wouldn't take much to dramatically upgrade the studios. Another approach that some other companies have taken is to have 2 BR lockoff's as a deluxe and standard 1 BR. A standard would have a smaller but functional kitchen but might have a queen instead of a King. They could do 4BR lockoff's with 2 dedicated 2 BR villas. They could do double lockoff's making up 3 BR villas. Underground parking would also be a large plus. I think they really missed some opportunities with SSR where they could have had done lake homes or similar.

It seems obvious to me that this will be a Star Wars themed deluxe resort. No cheap points, no cheap per nights.

2019 sell date. What other thing in the general vicinity will be ready...

Just...

About...

Then?

I think the focus will be DHS too if they are thinking to link to a park. If you look at google earth there is already a path through the woods between Victory way and the DHS parking lot. Maybe they will expand tram access to the park. It will be interesting to see what they do ...

Rename from Caribbean Beach Resort to Tatooine Desert Resort?

Heheh. :) We were talking about this at dinner last night. What if DVC Mike made another Star Wars April fools advert? (so clever and talented!) :jester:We thought Scarif would be a great use of the theming already present.

- Your family will enjoy a magical vacation that's out this world at the tropical SCARIF Village: A Disney Resort and Spa.
- Relax admidst the palm trees and hammocks while shore-troopers bring over galactic-sized libations.
- Walk over to the AT-ACT splash pad and X-wing waterslide.
- Unwind during luxurious spa treatments as you feel one with Tranquility and the Force is with you.
- Unique Lodging found only at WDW and so much more!

Hehehe... :cutie:

And this is where all you buy where you want to stay folks can chime in and say, "I told you so." We need to take a wait and see approach, but I could definitely see this making the 7 month window even more difficult for both monorail loop and crescent lake. I can foresee having to find satisfaction in a rotation of SSR, OKW, AKL, CBV.

I can foresee having to find satisfaction in a rotation of SSR, OKW, AKL, CBV.

If CBV were to have studios/hotel rooms as low as 6-8 pts per night, I think it would very much be in demand at 7 months.

But like Dean and others have speculated, I expect it to be more comparable to OKW and SSR-standard.

Last edited:
They better build a SAB-type pool if they plan keep the "Beach" name

Otherwise, it's "welcome to the beach*"
*that is infested with alligators, so we setup barricades to keep you away from this beach

They should have the SAB-type pool, and build the resort like a mini-Atlantis with an Aqua-duck slide (like the DCL ships) emerging from the lobby :cool2:

And this is where all you buy where you want to stay folks can chime in and say, "I told you so." We need to take a wait and see approach, but I could definitely see this making the 7 month window even more difficult for both monorail loop and crescent lake. I can foresee having to find satisfaction in a rotation of SSR, OKW, AKL, CBV.
I think it's a near guarantee that it'll be lower demand than some and I think we'll be lucky if it's demand matches that of SSR which is lower than OKW likely due to higher points. Thus it's essentially a certainty that it'll worsen the 7 month window issues. While there are things they could do to affect this reality I don't think it realistic to expect otherwise. I suspect it'll have a nice pool but I don't think a SAB level pool will be enough to make a dent and even a walkway to both EPCOT and DHS likely wouldn't either. Lower points are really the best thing to affect demand given the location but I doubt they'll accept the lower profits to do an OKW style point chart. Personally I'm OK with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter