Disney Family Museum- where to eat?

PinkBudgie

DIS Veteran
DH and I are driving down to the Disney Family Museum next Monday. Last time we went was a few years ago. Much seemed to be under construction and there was nowhere near-by to eat so we just grabbed something from the little counter at the museum. But this year, I have a fish allergy and confirming ingredients from somewhere like that might be hard to do. Is there any non seafood restaurant nearby now?

It's San Francisco. I wouldn't necessarily recommend anything inside the Presidio. However, there are plenty of places outside. It would depend of what you like.

Agree you should leave the presidio. I just visited the museum for the first time last month and wasn't interested in their cafe menu. Ended up driving just outside of the Presidio towards the marina district and mainly headed to Chestnut street. There's many options such as burgers at Super Duper, Umami or Roam... sandwiches and salads at Blue Barn or Plutos and/or cafés with bigger menus like la Boulange or Squat and gobble. You can also leave the presidio towards the Richmond district for some southern/creole at Hard Knox or delicious sandwiches at Lou's Cafe!

I agree as well -
(no meal).

Besides, there is so much to see @ that museum.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

have fun & enjoy!:goodvibes

T.T.F.N.:yay:
& cheers

Thanks. They could use some good places there! Kind of a "hole" in such a big city. I was hoping not to drive around looking, just grab something in that area. I've since discovered they have some walking trails in that area so maybe we'll bring something from home to eat outside and then do some walking after the museum.

The places to eat around the Presidio are either fancy snack bars or expensive places like the Presidio Social Club. The latter is supposed to be pretty nice but pricey.

Maybe outside there's a Mel's Drive In on Lombard. There's also a bunch of places just outside the Lombard Gate. If you have a connection, maybe the Lucasfilm cafeteria?

http://www.foodgal.com/2010/09/lunch-at-lucasfilm-in-san-francisco/

Thanks. They could use some good places there! Kind of a "hole" in such a big city. I was hoping not to drive around looking, just grab something in that area. I've since discovered they have some walking trails in that area so maybe we'll bring something from home to eat outside and then do some walking after the museum.

This is actually what we have done before about food. There just aren't any good options there. We brought some croissants and hot cocoa for the morning and walked around a bit, then went to the museum, went outside for our picnic lunch we brought with us, and then went back to the museum for a while before heading home.

The places to eat around the Presidio are either fancy snack bars or expensive places like the Presidio Social Club. The latter is supposed to be pretty nice but pricey.

Maybe outside there's a Mel's Drive In on Lombard. There's also a bunch of places just outside the Lombard Gate. If you have a connection, maybe the Lucasfilm cafeteria?

http://www.foodgal.com/2010/09/lunch-at-lucasfilm-in-san-francisco/

That looks like fun! We used to know someone who worked there, but they moved. :confused3

This is actually what we have done before about food. There just aren't any good options there. We brought some croissants and hot cocoa for the morning and walked around a bit, then went to the museum, went outside for our picnic lunch we brought with us, and then went back to the museum for a while before heading home.
Yeah, that sounds like a plan! :thumbsup2

The City and County of San Francisco effectively has no control over what happens at the Presidio. For that matter, the National Park Service has little control over development decisions since the legislation that added the Presidio to Golden Gate NRA created the Presidio Trust. The goal was economic self sufficiency such that tax dollars wouldn't be required to maintain the roads and buildings. The Presidio Trust could allow more restaurants, but they haven't done so. I remember there used to be a small restaurant at the main visitor center (the old Officers Club) but that's since closed. There was a proposal for a hotel to take over several buildings on the Main Post across from the Walt Disney Museum, but those plans fell by the wayside. It probably would have included a restaurant.

I would actually expect a restaurant at a location like that to be like the one at Cavallo Point in the Marin Headlands portion of Golden Gate NRA. Here are some menus. The prices are not exactly cheap. The boar ribs sound interesting.

http://www.cavallopoint.com/menus-wine-list.html

Yep, that place looks good!

It seems like some restaurants of different types- casual to fancy would help the Presidio financially and keep those tourists in the area instead of leaving to find a meal.

I remember in the 80s when I was young, my father took me on to the Presidio several times when it was still the headquarters for the 6th US Army. It was an active military base, but one that the Army wanted as a showcase that the public could access. It wasn't like a typical military base with guarded entrances, but one that anyone could walk in or drive in. There were signs all around stating that it was an active military installation and that there was implied permission that any person or vehicle was subject to search. I recall being there once to look for a spot to see the US Navy's Blue Angels perform, and there were MPs out in force to make sure that all vehicles were properly parked. Also - there was Fort Point NHS at one end of the Golden Gate, and going through the Presidio was the only way to get there by land.

I remember having lunch at one of the base mess halls. It was basic cafeteria style food, but it was cheap and anyone could eat there. I'm not quite sure if it's still there now. A lot of the military buildings have be "repurposed" since then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter