Disney faces $27.5 billion forced buyout to Comcast for Hulu

Ehh, not my cup of tea. A little Deadpool goes a LOOOONG way with me!

I want to see some of the Fox proeprties that Diensy now owns have a home - Alien, Die Hard, etc.
Bring those to D+ too. IMO if D+ really wants to be a giant it needs more then family content

I'm actually surprised that Disney put those movies on D+ instead of Hulu or similar. Or at least in an area for adults to log into to keep away from younger children.
As a PP noted, if they put Alien on D+ (an example, don't know that they will), would hate for a young child to accidentally turn that on.

I'm actually surprised that Disney put those movies on D+ instead of Hulu or similar. Or at least in an area for adults to log into to keep away from younger children.
As a PP noted, if they put Alien on D+ (an example, don't know that they will), would hate for a young child to accidentally turn that on.

Disney implemented parental controls for Disney+ months (years?) ago.

Folding Hulu into Disney+ seems like a content fit, but the challenge is maintaining the revenue stream. Hulu earns over $9 billion per year in revenue, of which over $2B is from commercials. Subscribers pay monthly fees ranging from $7-13 for the legacy service, with some on lower promotional rates. And then there's the live TV product at $70+.

Setting aside live TV, there's no guaranteed formula for moving all of those subscribers over to Disney+ and maintaining current revenues. The fee for a combined Hulu + Disney+ would have to be somewhere north of $8. At higher rates, you risk losing some subscribers from both the Hulu side and the Disney+ side.

And that's not even factoring in how to handle the commercial revenue. The ad-supported tier of Disney+ may begin to set the table for that. A few years ago, Hulu admitted that it makes more from viewers who use the cheaper ad-supported tier than those who pay the higher rate to have commercials removed.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hulu-makes-about-15-in-revenue-per-customer-every-month/

It's a moot point until Comcast is out of the picture. Hulu stands to lose NBC/Comcast programming but they'll still have ABC, Fox (who isn't Disney-owned, but also doesn't have its own streaming platform), FX, Freeform and others. Until proven otherwise, it's still a $9B+ per year business. Disney will have to figure out if it makes sense to fold that into Disney+ or keep it separate.

Disney implemented parental controls for Disney+ months (years?) ago.

Yes, and when they added the Marvel Netflix shows they required setting parental control status for all profiles upon startup.

With no young kids at home, I clearly missed that stuff.

Yeah, I don't either, but when the first time I launched D+ after they added those shows, it made me confirm each profile on my account as unrestricted.

I'd also point out that we don't know the true market rate of Disney+ yet either. Many of us are on promotional rates (D23, Hulu subscriber, etc.). Once all these expire and they reach a certain number of subscribers, Disney will likely up the monthly fee for the commercial free version. As mentioned above, we already know an ad-supported version is going to debut later this year.

Hulu has decent brand recognition in the United States, but we'll have to see if it's worth continuing to invest in for The Walt Disney Company. I suspect not.

Yeah, I don't either, but when the first time I launched D+ after they added those shows, it made me confirm each profile on my account as unrestricted.
I don't recall having to do that, but must have when the account was set up.

I don't recall having to do that, but must have when the account was set up.

Maybe it forced me to do it because I had literally never even looked at the parental controls section - I had no need.

With no young kids at home, I clearly missed that stuff.

Yes and that's also when they added the PIN to adult profiles. There were always adult and kid profiles, but there was no lock in place by default so a sneaky kid would have been able to pop over onto an adult profile to get around the controls.

Maybe it forced me to do it because I had literally never even looked at the parental controls section - I had no need.
My recollection is that they added the parental controls around the time Daredevil and the other Netflix shows appeared on D+ in March of this year. I think the message I received was that I needed to enable adult programming on individual profiles in order to see the new content, but it wasn't mandatory.

Oh, I also forgot! I went back to Hulu for the show Only Murders in the Building with Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez, Nathan Lane, and Jane Lynch!

They're expecting LOTS of Emmy noms for it...over 20, I think.

Just finished season 1 and it's amazing.

I have been meaning to check this out! What a great cast…I am not familiar with Selena Gomez but the others are great!

I got Hulu years and years ago when Spotify was offering it for free to their Premium subscribers. I forget I have it half the time.

I will say that one of the funniest shows I have ever seen is on Hulu: Pen15. As someone who went to the Jr. High during the early 2000s like the creators of the show, it really resonates with me lol

My recollection is that they added the parental controls around the time Daredevil and the other Netflix shows appeared on D+ in March of this year. I think the message I received was that I needed to enable adult programming on individual profiles in order to see the new content, but it wasn't mandatory.

Yes and that's also when they added the PIN to adult profiles. There were always adult and kid profiles, but there was no lock in place by default so a sneaky kid would have been able to pop over onto an adult profile to get around the controls.

They did have "Kids" profiles though as certain items, those that got the warnings, were restricted on Kid's profiles.

I think it may have been been mentioned earlier the thread, but for for the US viewers, a lot of the future comes down to what Disney wants to do with the FX/FXX programming. Some of the series like 'Devs',' Y: The Last Man' and 'American Horror Stories' ended up on Hulu instead of FX, yet others like 'The Old Man' and 'Fargo' stayed with FX. And then you have the legacy stuff like 'Always Sunny'.

Does Disney sell off the the FX stuff to other streamers like Prime or NetFlix? For the viewing outside the US this can all be part of the D+/Star service. But even with Disney incorporating TV-MA programming for D+ in US, do you really bring the FX stuff into it? I guess you have can have yet another tab in D+ along with Nat Geo?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter