Disney East... (not Florida)

I'll fly for this Mickey Mouse outfit!
Well.... Shanghai Disney was a lot of fun for me with a great weather day...sunny and high 60's with 50's after sun went down. I think I will start with my general experience getting there and then pics and whatever else enters my mind as I go...

Day before conundrum.... which ticket to buy? There were a LOT of choices (a basic entry ticket, multi-day, tickets with dining coupons, tickets with various sets of "premier access" rides (the "fastpass" Shanghai Disney)... I ended up choosing the "Disney Dream Day Adventure package of 6". This is entry plus premier access to a specific set of 6 rides. The set of 6 rides listed is subject to change/substitution if rides close, break, etc. The 6 rides I had premier access to were Seven Dwarfs Mine train, Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue, TRON Lightcycle Power Run, Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure, Zootopia: Hot Pursuit, and Roaring Rapids.

Ride from hotel to Disney was 60 minutes with morning traffic, ride home 35 minutes. Not sure what cost would have been from my location as I had the ride provided by our flight handling company here in Shanghai (Thank you, Shirley! - the founder/CEO of the company). Once I made it to the drop off area, up an escalator and walked along an elevated walkway to the main plaza area where metal barriers were set up in a lengthy back and forth queue (can't imagine how long it would take to get in during a warm weekend or public holiday here!) that dumped you into an area where you chose left or right to enter 2 additional back and forth type queues that took you up to the security screening and turnstile area. Oh, when you buy your ticket online (the only option, BTW) you have to create an account for Shanghai Disney, and as a foreigner not from China, Hong Kong, and one other territory I can't recall, you need to enter your passport information (number). When you arrive to park, you need to bring your purchase confirmation and your passport which you must present to the cast member at the turnstile. They take your passport, enter your passport number, and then print out the paper ticket (or tickets if you bought multiple) associated with your passport and in you go. You SHOULD download the Shanghai Disney app as this makes it nice to scan the paper ticket QR code after you have it so that all your premier access passes are in the app. You then scan the phone (or the paper ticket if you so choose) at each premier ride entry to use that pass. Oh, and your picture is taken at the park entrance as well and associated with your ticket so that only you can use that ticket at the ride....your face pops up to prove it is you entering the premier line. All in. all it moved along ok and I would say 45 minutes from drop off to entry.... I was dropped off just before 8:30 AM (opening time) and was inside the turnstile about 9:10.

Seeing the castle from the car as we approach
tempImageTBGueS.jpg

Getting closer.... BTW, green-ish license plate with black letters on that taxi indicates EV.... gasoline engines have blue tag with white lettering.
tempImagesgvWlz.jpg

Parking lot entry......
tempImageDRJlgY.jpg

I, admittedly, did not use my Roaring Rapids access as I was not feeling like getting soaked this day, but the other rides in the set were rides I wanted to do, so I accepted I was paying for one I would not be using. Ticket cost me $165 US. I figured I wanted to get through these rides with no waiting since I do not know if or when I would ever be back, so worth the cost. Most of the "main" rides had 40-60 minute waits from opening time (in a country whose population tops one billion, their Disney resort is ALWAYS busy!), but with premier access, was always 10 minutes or less from entry to on. I did wait 50 minutes for Soarin' and 30 minutes for Peter Pan. Anyway, after this aside, here we go....

Almost to drop off....
tempImageqjgDxn.jpg

On the elevated walkway to the plaza area.....
tempImage45SDul.jpg

Just after coming off the elevated walkway and just before entering the queue for getting to the security queues....
tempImageJ8x90s.jpg

Donald here inflated on the lake at the resort...after the above the Mickey ears as I walk to the aforementioned queue...
tempImageFd0MBI.jpg

Exiting the first queue and I went left to this pictured queue for security screening...about 30 back and forth lanes from queue entry at the orange there to the security point. Security is similar to previous at Disney before the current walk through set up in Florida. They have bag inspection and metal detector.
tempImageJdZRia.jpg

Now that security is finished, the actual turnstile queue....
tempImageBtwPDg.jpg

Moving on to next post.....

Passport, presented, picture taken, ticket printed.... in we go....

My paper ticket, BTW....
tempImageUPbixO.jpg

The station (but only for looks...no train and no tracks...lol) Notice that Officer Hops is the flower character there... Zootopia Land opened late last year and is the current hype at the park... you find Zootopia treats and merch displayed prominently through park...
tempImage9FkwSb.jpg

Stopped briefly at Guest Services off to the right of this area to make sure I understood correctly how to use my premier access from my phone. Most cast members (and especially guest services) speak English well enough so that you can ask questions and get help. Most signs are both in English and Mandarin...

Out of guest services and time to walk in under the station....
tempImage6vyBVb.jpg

First look up Mickey Avenue (the "Main Street" of this park).. various topiaries and those egg shaped characters around this grass square....
tempImageH605af.jpg

tempImageNrPW8n.jpg

Up to the end of that road and too the right was a bakery where I had to go to find something I had read about...
IMG_0984.jpg

....AND I FOUND IT!!!! YES!!!!!!!!
tempImageHkBhZU.jpg

Donuts ALWAYS make he happy.....
tempImagezbs9oX.jpg

They had other tasty looking offerings..here are a few:
tempImage1LJKtT.jpg

tempImage9TiriQ.jpg

Next post.....

Last edited:
The other treat pic from bakery.....
tempImageLTX0yn.jpg

...and my choice.....
tempImageOlyryI.jpg

The carousel is actually right up here sort of
"across " from the bakery...so that ride is close to front of park... no picture, just an interesting note...

After the donut, I waited in line for Soarin'... I wish I could post the 4 minute pre show video (I imagine you can find on YouTube) .... not Patrick (and BTW, it is in "Adventure Isle" so it is themed that way and rather than on an airplane flight), but rather "Grandma Thunderbird, protector of the sky" greets you and gives the safety speech. You are become more of a winged spirit type who goes on a whimsical flight of discovery....

Adventure Isle entry....
tempImageWqI9jS.jpg

Grandma arrives in bird form....
IMG_0985.jpg

Transforms to human appearance...
IMG_0986.jpg

After talking for awhile... she gives the safety speech..here she is indicating that....
IMG_0987.jpg

... someone needs to stow "these little beauties"...
IMG_0988.jpg

...and so he does.
IMG_0989.jpg

The "little aviator" is still thumbs up after buckling....
IMG_0990.jpg

The ride is basically still the same except that the fireworks at the end are occurring over a night time view of Shanghai...

Next post....

Some pics from Adventure Isle area:

tempImagekyMhF3.jpg

tempImagehYIQnX.jpg

They have the canoe rides here:
tempImageZR53WD.jpg

tempImagePmRG5V.jpg

tempImagepEOXHY.jpg

This guy was outside as I exited Soarin'.....
tempImageRZhAVl.jpg

On my way to see the Cap'n...
tempImageSoKgPm.jpg

tempImagetrEM5q.jpg

This ship was sort of a play area you could walk on to and explore...I saw people go on but did not try....
IMG_0991.jpg

Next post.....

Yo Ho Yo Ho.....

tempImageR3CXJn.jpg

Loaded up and ready to go find treasure!
tempImagetJ4ma8.jpg

The start of Pirates goes by dining area in the same manner as Mexico at EPCOT....
tempImageChgbvf.jpg

Skeletal version of the classic here....
tempImagedYmnDv.jpg

Blurry, but this animatronic was large and very cool.... too much movement and too busy for any more pics in here...
tempImage9VmZnJ.jpg

Was a cool take on the classic ride.... it's all in Mandarin, of course, but the story is what the ride title suggests... they use lots of movie screens and boat movement to force your brain to think you diving below the ocean and then back to surface for a battle where you end up between ships for a canon battle. I likes the combination of animatronics and the visuals screens... there was a backwards in the dark roller coaster part here that reminded me of the small non water coaster section of Splash Mountain...

Random snack in the area with a pirate mickey thing stuck in it....
tempImagehuxSAh.jpg

Will continue on another....

Next I was off to Zootopia...

The ride itself was cute and plays off of the same trackless system as ratatouille, Mickey's Runaway Railroad, and ROTR...
I enjoyed walking around the land itself to see the details...

tempImageBQD9Ag.jpg

Gazelle was in town to perform....
tempImageEvojnU.jpg

tempImage2DFyQg.jpg

The Giraffes car....
tempImage3XNwig.jpg

tempImageLXVtR3.jpg

tempImagerYUNwi.jpg

tempImageTzjgCr.jpg

tempImagexAZwGk.jpg

Officer Hops and Nick meet n greet....
tempImageMUEQl8.jpg

tempImages3aRwf.jpg

Zootopia cont'd

tempImageLWgGoj.jpg

I skipped by this with premier access, but this fella was part of the standby queue..
tempImageM3H0uX.jpg

tempImage7PQjX9.jpg

tempImage25wQZD.jpg

Trying a popsicle.....
tempImageilAQwm.jpg

I really liked it, actually.....
tempImageHq3jlX.jpg

Couple other snacks in the Zootopia Land area....
tempImageh8AREJ.jpg

tempImagejz6jkK.jpg

Couple other comments before I pause for the night....

While it is no longer the law here (and I understand from my driver that the opposite is now encouraged), MOST families have 1 and only 1 child. There were lost of children in the park, but I can't say for certain even that I ever saw a family with 2 children... I say not for certain because I did see children together 2 or 3 times, but could have been friends or cousins or something like that....

At MOST I saw 30 foreign tourists... there are a few, but in a country with over 1 billion people and 1 Disney park, it is mostly in country tourism here!!

Park IS very clean (I had read some stuff stating otherwise, didn't experience that myself). I had also been concerned about being able to use credit card as most all locals use pay apps from phone, but all kiosks, stores, etc took credit card and have signs indicating as such (the symbols for VISA, Mastercard, etc all printed on the signs).

You may get run over and banged into repeatedly... they are used to lack of personal space here, so it is not really considered....

Went on SDMT next...same thing, just in Mandarin.... (except that "HI HOOOOOOOOOO" and the response are still just that....lol). As at home, much nicer to be in the "fastpass" line than the one to the left.....

tempImage3VCcBX.jpg

Next to walk through Toy Story Land.....
tempImageK6eFlq.jpg

A much slower ride if you can't do Slinky Dog at home.....
tempImagegGZEZW.jpg

I wonder how many rubber bands my plane has underneath 🤔
tempImagek8iMQ4.jpg

I can't remember if we had a Lincoln Log building anywhere back at "our" Toy Story Orlando....
tempImageND2Snk.jpg

I really liked the plastic soldiers theming for this building...all of this detail for...bathrooms......
tempImageCJIZex.jpg

Rex's Racer ....he is holding the remote control (just out of picture)
IMG_0992.jpg

Made my way to Tomorrowland next for Tron and Buzz Lightyear...

tempImage6hdeU8.jpg

A very silver, shiny metal look to the land.....
tempImagektbJEq.jpg

TRON... was fun, but my tummy was funny for a few minutes after. Also, I noticed that I (along with others) definitely felt a bit dizzy as we got up and stumbled off the ride... I wonder if it is the position in which you sit for the ride... crouched down like FOP....
tempImageTx3twx.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

Passing by the "launch area" in the "fastpass" queue....
tempImageFggWHJ.jpg

Loading area....
tempImageB3KYcG.jpg

An area to "play" in after you exit the ride... similar to exiting test track where there are activities to try...
tempImagehIVZAJ.jpg

On my way to Buzz Lightyear....I did like this updated version very much.... the target circles are digital screens.... the laser guns are holstered in the ride car, but you take them out and they are connected by cable so you pick it up and aim in any direction you want. Also, the laser pointer is always on, so you simply aim your laser dot that you see the entire time and fire when it is on the target.... MUCH easier....
tempImageicO8AL.jpg

...and my score reflects just how much easier it is...
tempImageRGuNV3.jpg

more to follow....

Very cool stuff!! And a possible look into the future of some lands, theming, etc back home.
I’ve heard everyone uses their phone for everything, but I guess if there are tourists they have to offer other payment types.

Can I steal your photo of the long walkway in? (for the DisneylandForward thread) ;)

While in Tomorrow Land I stopped for lunch....
Iron Man cheeseburger and fries...
tempImageKbR0Pm.jpg

Was actually pretty good for just a burger....
tempImage6LFfno.jpg

Lining up for "dance party" parade that stops at this location for the party part....
tempImageiA4m03.jpg

Couple snaps of the characters dancing for party....(the woman with Hops bunny ears seems excited ...lol)
tempImageiuJdkZ.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

Very cool stuff!! And a possible look into the future of some lands, theming, etc back home.
I’ve heard everyone uses their phone for everything, but I guess if there are tourists they have to offer other payment types.

Can I steal your photo of the long walkway in? (for the DisneylandForward thread) ;)
I am fine with use of the photos 👍

Zootopia big donut (you could buy big donut to eat in bakery, too..but more manageable size 😁)
tempImage0joHZB.jpg

Mickey Bar... chocolate ice cream ears and vanilla head... I feel like they had these for awhile in U.S. too...
tempImagex9svTG.jpg

I like the little tray to catch all the chocolate bits as they fall off rather than helplessly watching them melt on the ground...
tempImageNJs75g.jpg

What else to say...yum :P
tempImageXE9v3G.jpg

My other treat this day....popcorn::
tempImagesUJbxP.jpg

Just a few other photos I took during a last circle of park in evening....
tempImageAFMEJ2.jpg

"Cat" rock sculpture lit up....
tempImageGEXZsN.jpg

If you stayed multiple days, you could certainly make a whole visit of just looking inside the different "shop windows" to see what fun stuff they have hidden in there....
tempImageVArktw.jpg

9000+ piece Titanic in the Lego store outside the park at Disneytown....
tempImagedWm7Yx.jpg

Was definitely fun to see what is same and what is different in a park that is located within such a different culture from home. I did feel "at home" however, surrounded by the magic and music as I walked around....it still felt very "Disney" to me... could almost forget I was 12 hours different from my own time zone. Thanks for checking out the pictures! Visited Shanghai Zoo today... enjoyed that as well. Off to Japan in 2 days... 2 nights there and then work my way home via Alaska where we hop out and take airline flights home (relief crew takes over) as it is too long a day in terms of fatigue for us to safely pilot from Japan to Alaska - where we stop for fuel - and back to Connecticut in one shot. For now :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter