Disney Dream has switched to pump bottles for H2O pruducts

I really think this is a swing and a miss for Disney. The bottles are just asking for issues...from cleaning, refilling, theft, etc. IF they wanted to truly reduce waste, they should have gone with smooth hand-pump based dispensers with replaceable bags/cartridges as used by medical offices. Once the bag is out, you replace it (which includes the no-touch dispensary for the soap).

We are used to hand pumps on Carnival and their refills, but honestly expected better on Disney. Oh well....time will tell as to how this goes!

Something like these with a cute Disney shape/design would have been far safer in every aspect!

PF37647_PRI02.JPG
I still say those wall mounted dispensers make it feel like a locker room. Not particularly elegant, and ugly.

I’ll take sanitized and unable to be tampered with over elegant any day... The current bottles are easily tampered with and the would be hard to clean well. I’m a surgeon though so maybe my perspective is different.

You could change the outer appearance and even shape to make them more Disney-ish!

It's all fun and games until someone replaces the conditioner with Nair when they leave :rotfl:

I’m sorry, but if you are unable to tell the difference between stinky Nair and good-smelling conditioner, then you deserve to fall for that juvenile prank.

Between this and straws, I have never seen so much passion for plastic products...

We were just on another cruise line and they had the dispensers in the room.

Not once did my mind wander to a person smuggling aboard a key in an uncomfortable spot to then have their way with my shampoo.

What I do find 1,000,000 times grosser are the people at a buffet who eat and then lick their fingers before picking up the utensils. I will ask for new utensils immediately. We also wash up before and after getting food since this occurs so regularly.

[QUOTE="mj2vacation, post: 60331386, member: 99097"]Between this and straws, I have never seen so much passion for plastic products...

Not once did my mind wander to a person smuggling aboard a key in an uncomfortable spot to then have their way with my shampoo.

What I do find 1,000,000 times grosser are the people at a buffet who eat and then lick their fingers before picking up the utensils. I will ask for new utensils immediately. We also wash up before and after getting food since this occurs so regularly.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the bags! (What I find most...amusing...is that the resort/parks boards have just about wrapped up this whole straw/bag/dispenser uproar. It's seriously the same arguments we're having over here.)

Between this and straws, I have never seen so much passion for plastic products...

What I do find 1,000,000 times grosser are the people at a buffet who eat and then lick their fingers before picking up the utensils. I will ask for new utensils immediately. We also wash up before and after getting food since this occurs so regularly.

On our last cruise I saw a woman drop some bacon onto the area where you put your food tray at Cabanas. She then picked it up with her fingers and tossed it back into the serving dish!! Thankfully the cm saw her do it and quickly grabbed the dish and replaced it. Everyone who saw her do this then said thank you to the cm. Makes me think how many others do this and a cm doesn't see it, ICK!!!!

On our last cruise I saw a woman drop some bacon onto the area where you put your food tray at Cabanas. She then picked it up with her fingers and tossed it back into the serving dish!! Thankfully the cm saw her do it and quickly grabbed the dish and replaced it. Everyone who saw her do this then said thank you to the cm. Makes me think how many others do this and a cm doesn't see it, ICK!!!!

This is starting to get off topic, but a lady in front of me at the ice cream machine LICKED the palm of her hand (somehow ice cream had gotten on it) and then full-on grabbed the handle to get more. Unfortunately I'm willing to bet stuff like this happens all the time without people seeing. Shampoo bottles may be the least of our worries.

I’m sorry, but if you are unable to tell the difference between stinky Nair and good-smelling conditioner, then you deserve to fall for that juvenile prank.

Unless it’s a child. I could absolutely picture my 6 year not realizing it. She would just think they have stinky shampoo.

Eh, I’ll just bring my own and move on.

This is starting to get off topic, but a lady in front of me at the ice cream machine LICKED the palm of her hand (somehow ice cream had gotten on it) and then full-on grabbed the handle to get more. Unfortunately I'm willing to bet stuff like this happens all the time without people seeing. Shampoo bottles may be the least of our worries.
Bleeech :crazy2:

We just got off the Fantasy on Sat, and a fellow guest was told the Fantasy was also moving to refillable bottles after our cruise.

How does this work with body lotion? I can understand the big dispensers in the shower for body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. But do you still get individual body lotion and bars of soap?

Personally, I don’t care for this trend, as I like having the small bottles & soaps as souvenirs when I get home. The scents remind me of the vacation I came back from! I do see how it prevents a lot of waste though.

Just disembarked from the Disney Dream (3/1) and they had not yet implemented the refillable dispensers for product. I understand people's focus on the negative aspects of single use packaging, but I share the majority view (largely unspoken) that the dispensers are unsanitary. It also can't be underestimated how much money this will save DCL/WDC across the enterprise, while providing the added benefit of allowing the company to package itself as environmentally conscious.

If only they would pass these amazing savings onto us.

I would like to say that I am also concerned of the sanitation of the refillable bottles. I use the liquid soap at home and purchased the refillable bottle and after a few refills, the pump bottle that I was using was getting bacteria and mold in it. Since it is just a cheap plastic, there is no way to really clean it with hot water, I guess I could have bleached it out but it just does not seem like a good idea to keep reusing the same plastic bottle for an extended period of time. I don't know what their policy will be on replacing these containers and/or cleaning and sanitizing them. Also they are top fill so are they going to keep putting new on top of old? Even if it pumps from the bottom, there is no way that it will pump all of the older stuff first. We know that there are sanitation issues with refillable bottles, hence why the hospitals and restaurants do not use them. The lotion and conditioner are not soap either. I would imagine those would be more likely to get bacteria in them first.

Just disembarked from the Disney Dream (3/1) and they had not yet implemented the refillable dispensers for product. I understand people's focus on the negative aspects of single use packaging, but I share the majority view (largely unspoken) that the dispensers are unsanitary. It also can't be underestimated how much money this will save DCL/WDC across the enterprise, while providing the added benefit of allowing the company to package itself as environmentally conscious.
We were on the cruise following you. Boarded the Dream on 3-1. We had the large dispensers. We were surprised to see them especially after coming from WDW where we still had the individual containers. One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned-the large bottles are positioned quite high in the shower so we had to move them down to allow for our kids to be able to reach them. Not sure how much of an issue this might become but I could see some potential for hurt toes if one were to fall:confused3

-Kelly

We were on the cruise following you. Boarded the Dream on 3-1. We had the large dispensers. We were surprised to see them especially after coming from WDW where we still had the individual containers. One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned-the large bottles are positioned quite high in the shower so we had to move them down to allow for our kids to be able to reach them. Not sure how much of an issue this might become but I could see some potential for hurt toes if one were to fall:confused3

-Kelly

Are they glass or plastic? I would not want small children dealing with glass in the shower. And did you by chance ask the stateroom hosts how often these will be switched out/cleaned?

Are they glass or plastic? I would not want small children dealing with glass in the shower. And did you by chance ask the stateroom hosts how often these will be switched out/cleaned?
They were glass. I didn't ask about the cleaning protocol. They did have little sticker type tabs on them all prior to us using them that said "sanitized" or something to that effect.

-Kelly
Was bar soap available when you checked aboard? Did your stateroom host provide if/when asked? Thanks

They were glass. I didn't ask about the cleaning protocol. They did have little sticker type tabs on them all prior to us using them that said "sanitized" or something to that effect.
Glass? I'm going to have to bring body wash for my kids. They can be clumsy and not always careful and they shower on their own. Glass bottles up high seems like a recipe for disaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter