• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dream assigned dinners

nikkyluvsmickey

DIS Veteran
I have been reading many posts on here about people choosing to eat at cabanas instead of the fancier meals because they take so long...so my question is how long can it posibly take? i have requested to have a seperate table so no waiting for others to arrive and we dont do salads or apps just the entree and dessert

Well, just because you have a table to yourself doesn't mean that you have your servers to yourself. The serving team will have a number of tables to take care of, and that means a bit of a lag time in getting your drinks, getting your orders in, and getting things out. The MDR's are set at a pace where they have the food prep of apps, soups and salads, and entrees coming from the kitchen in an orderly fashion to time the dinner for all the parties with each serving team (think 10 - 15 minutes between each course). By you skipping courses, it likely just means that you won't get your entrees right away, but still would get them before most others, as they are not prepped immediately in the kitchen, but after the hot apps go out. Your servers will encourage you to try things to help balance the timing, but they will do their best to get you in and out. At Cabanas, you still have a selection from the MDR menus, but with less people, the servers can get you want you want quicker, and get you in and out much faster (if that is what you want).

Well, just because you have a table to yourself doesn't mean that you have your servers to yourself. The serving team will have a number of tables to take care of, and that means a bit of a lag time in getting your drinks, getting your orders in, and getting things out. The MDR's are set at a pace where they have the food prep of apps, soups and salads, and entrees coming from the kitchen in an orderly fashion to time the dinner for all the parties with each serving team (think 10 - 15 minutes between each course). By you skipping courses, it likely just means that you won't get your entrees right away, but still would get them before most others, as they are not prepped immediately in the kitchen, but after the hot apps go out. Your servers will encourage you to try things to help balance the timing, but they will do their best to get you in and out. At Cabanas, you still have a selection from the MDR menus, but with less people, the servers can get you want you want quicker, and get you in and out much faster (if that is what you want).
Oh so even if we skip apps and salad we are still waiting for the rest of the dining room to be on entrees..i may have to rethink dining in them then cause my bf has zero patience lol. I really wanted to experience the rooms but not at the cost of listening to him whine about the wait for his dinner

There is also some time coordination between the meal and what is going on in the MDR - especially in Animator's Palate.

I would try the main dining rooms. It is an experience and to me a big part of the cruise. Also, Cabana's is not open for dinner on the first and last night of a cruise so if you are on a 3-night it will only be open once.

When we had a table to ourselves we were in and out really quick ... the show night in Animators our servers told us to wait after we'd finished so we didn't miss the show. Tell them you want quick service and they'll do it

We also don't like how long dinners can take so we now get our own table and also skip some courses. You can get moved along in a decent amount of time - just ask your servers. The only restaurant I'd sit through is AP and only on the "show" night. The other night in AP (if you're on a 6+ night cruise), I'd speed it up.

OUr family has always enjoyed our dinners and this to us is the highlight of the cruise. We always look forward to them. In the average a typical dinner would take us 1.5 hours.

On our last cruise this past July, we had really quick service, which we really appreciated and didn't even ask for! Our start to finish time was about an hour, and we had all of the courses. You can definitely ask them to move you along quickly, and it can be done.

Oh so even if we skip apps and salad we are still waiting for the rest of the dining room to be on entrees..i may have to rethink dining in them then cause my bf has zero patience lol. I really wanted to experience the rooms but not at the cost of listening to him whine about the wait for his dinner

They're going to be very accommodating. I highly doubt they will make you sit and wait for the rest of the dining room to finish their appetizers before they'll bring you your entrees. But I warn you, some of the appetizers are even better than the entrees IMHO! Just explain to them you would like to be done fairly quickly.

OUr family has always enjoyed our dinners and this to us is the highlight of the cruise. We always look forward to them. In the average a typical dinner would take us 1.5 hours.

Same, if we don't sit and relax for a coffee and dessert, about 1.5 hours. This is when the kids go wait in the show line. If everyone gets coffee and dessert could be closer to 1.75 hours

We never really felt it to be all that long, I would try it and see. Then let them know you would like to be out as early as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter