Disney dollars

megrod74

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I tried to do a search on this but that function isn't working.
I have leftover Disney Dollars from our trip and I tried to exchange them for $ at the store and they said I need a receipt!? Is this always true?
I was very annoyed at the girl and she just went on to say that is the store policy. I said to her "Where ELSE would I have gotten these??" It's not like you can get them at Sears and return them to the DS.
The Unofficial Guide doesn't say you need a receipt so I think I'm going to write to them so no one else gets aggravated. Now I told DH I am never shopping at the DS again.

You have needed a receipt to get $US for $DD as long as I can remember. It may have aways been the policy and it is possible that it is just now being enforced at you local TDS. Don't be angry at the CM who told you this, she is only the messenger.

I know that she was just the messenger, but I don't understand WHY that is their policy except that they want to keep your money. THey know that the chances of keeping the receipt is slim.

Wow, didn't know you had to keep receipts to return Disney Dollars. What if they were gifts and left over from a trip? You wouldn't have a receipt then.

I plan on asking for Disney $$ for my son and I for bdays and christmas from now until our cruise in may 2004. I am sure that I will use them up, and if I don't, I can/will save them for our next trip. But for someone who may not have another trip planned for a while, or not at all will have a problem. What do you do then?

Question?

Can you use Disney Dollars on a Disney Cruise? I read that the cruise is charge-to-card only, but my DD has Disney Dollars left over from last trip, and would love to use them. I don't have the receipts either!

I think it is totally unreasonable to ask someone to hand in a receipt to redeem Disney Dollars for US dollars. When you return a stroller to stroller rental, they give you your $1 refund in Disney Dollars. There is no receipt for that! because you hand in your receipt when you return the stroller to get the DD.

Hi Megrod74,

I work for the Unofficial Guide, and will pass along your Disney Dollar experience to Bob Sehlinger. I've never heard of a receipt being required to exchange DDs (as an earlier post asked, what if they were a gift?).

The only reason for a receipt that I can think of is that Disney doesn't want to go to the trouble of installing sophisticated anti-counterfeiting technology in their paper currency. They've got the sparkle-y dots on the left hand side, and something like intaglio printing for texture, but that's all I can find. I suppose they don't want some kid with a good laser printer, scanner and three dollar pen buying APs for all their friends. But if they don't want to take the necessary steps to prevent modern-day counterfeiting, they shouldn't issue paper money in the first place. My opinion, of course, and not necessarily that of the Guide's.

Sincerely,

Len

I checked with my local Disney Store, and they said that the DDs could not be exchanged at all (only spent), even with a receipt.
We're doing a little more checking around, and will get back in touch shortly.

Sincerely,

Len

You can exchange them at Guest Services prior to leaving Disney. I find that easiest anyway.

I am a Disney Store cast member. I can answer that question for you.

It used to be that you could exchange Disney Dollars at any time for regular currency, even without a receipt. About two years ago (or maybe a bit longer) Disney Store Corporate instituted a policy that in order to cash out Disney Dollars you MUST have a receipt for the purchase (this also applies to Gift Cards) This was done for accounting purposes (I do number crunching at my other job and understand the specifics of how this can impact your cash counts, etc. For bookkeeping any type of gift certificate/gift card/etc. can be a nightmare!) and I'm sorry if it impacted any of you negatively. As I

It is my understanding that you can still cash out Disney Dollars at Walt Disney World without a receipt without a problem. It is just the Disney Stores specifically that have the no-return policy w/o receipt.

I checked with my local Disney Store, and they said that the DDs could not be exchanged at all (only spent), even with a receipt.
That is incorrect. Have the manager check her SOPs on Disney Dollars.

Can you use Disney Dollars on a Disney Cruise? I read that the cruise is charge-to-card only, but my DD has Disney Dollars left over from last trip, and would love to use them.
The cruise is a charge to your room card only system--however your daughter can take her Disney Dollars to the Guest Relations desk on the cruise and "pay" on her account there. It can be done in advance as a credit to her card usage, or it can be done later in the cruise as a payment to her charges.

I hope I have helped to clear this up a bit. I'm sorry any of you have had to experience any uncomfortable situations.

Sue Ellen

Maybe it's just me, but most gift cards and certificates at almost every other retail chain are not redeemable for cash....why would Disney be different?

We registered for Dollars for our wedding and we got a few hundred as gifts which we used for our HM at WDW/DCL. I was also concerned about being able to use them on the ship, but they were happily accepted EVERYWHERE on our Disney HM.

Thank you, Sue Ellen, for sharing that info! Of course your alternative could be holding on to the Disney dollars for your next vacation to WDW or DL, or your next trip to the Disney Store!:D

My family and I are planning our first vacation to Disney as a family. I have heard about the Disney Dollars and their advantages in making purchases within the theme parks but had no idea of the guidelines to exchanging them for US $$ when done. Thanks.:jester:

Something else that I just thought about in regards to a reason why you would need receipt for an exchange. I usually buy some Disney dollars from my Disney Store right before I go to one of the parks. Every time I buy them, I do not give the CM cash, I either charge it or write a check. I usually don't carry a lot of cash on vacation, I use travelers checks. In this senario, if I wanted to return some leftover Disney Dollars, I would need my receipt to get either a credit on my change card, or cash (or bank check refund, depending on the amount returned, if I wrote a check).

I usually do not come home with Disney dollars left over though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter