Disney Does Hoops

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Disney has just signed a $4.6 billion dollar deal with the NBA to broadcast basketball games on ABC and ESPN.

This figure represents a 25% increase in the annual fee over the deal that NBC had with the league, a deal that NBC claimed lost them $100 million a season. During the last four years of the NBC deal, ratings for basketball dropped 35%.

Under the deal ABC will broadcast fifteen games on Sunday night and the NBA Finals. ESPN and ESPN2 will seventy-five games on Wednesday and Saturday nights.

AOL TimeWarner has signed on, with it’s TNT cable channel to carry 52 regular season and 45 play-off games, as well as the All Star Game. This is part of a much larger, separate deal that TimeWarner has signed with the NBA to create a new cable channel that will carry all NBA games. In effect, to create a competitor to the games being shown on ABC and ESPN.

I can't predict if this would be a successful thing for the company, but there is one thing that will be lost for ever in sports broadcasting history...

...The "NBA on NBC" theme!:(

I guess this is sort of a good thing. Personally I think the popularity of basketball has dropped like a rock since the good personalities such as Jordan, Magic Johnson and the like have dropped out (you can see the spike Jordan's return has made).

This was bad timing by Disney. NBC was smart to get out of it, as the NBA has lost it's charm and appeal. Congrats to Ei$ner on another dumb move.

I'm not sure of the numbers but this package maybe close to twice as many games per season as the NBC contract. I think ESPN gives them a lot more flexibility. I'll save judgement for now.

This agreement includes broadcast rights for ABC, ABCFamily, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNClassics, ESPN Radio, and ESPN.com as well as "emerging technologies applications" and "video game development".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter