Disney Discounts...the complexity & the frustration

I asked about the additional 10% for Disney Visa. The CM first told me I needed to contact Visa to get that. Then she talked to her supervisor. The reply then was that my package would be $200 more if I added the Visa discount. Huh???
$200 could've been in reference to a new deposit? They tried this with me yesterday but once I gave my Visa CC info they realized I had already made a deposit on my existing reservation using the card so another deposit wasn't necessary. My experience yesterday varied greatly amoung the 3 CM I talked to. But I did finally get my 35% off room rate at AKL.

I am frustrated. I couldn't find any discounts that made it cheaper than what I booked in July for January. That's crazy to me. And it's especially difficult when you see people talking about how they save $800 or more and got a better room in the process. Granted, we're a party of 5 and our dates weren't very flexible, but it was disheartening.
Was originally booked at WL but after the 25% room rate discount at AKL came out yesterday morning it was hard to pass up on the savings so I called and made the switch to AKL. And then the 3pm email to Disney Visa cardholders touted an even better 35% discount at AKL so after a first CM wasn't savy enough, I called back and got a great CM who was able to get that 35% offer. Didn't change dates at all just resorts. And reviews of AKL and WL are comprable it was a no brainer to save $1,000.

That would make sense.

The deluxes have such an inflated rack rate that they can give you $170/night discount.

Moderates aren't there....yet.

Except that the discounts that I am seeing for The Contemporary are pitiful. $5 a night on a room that is over $500 a night. If this $170 discount exists in this round, I have yet to find it.

I'm not hopeful for any kind of discount on POFQ. From what I can see of the various breakdowns others have posted, there pretty much is no discount :(

Especially not if my family books our trip through AirMiles like we did last time, they might not even HAVE the option this next time around! We are in Canada so the exchange rate must be accounted for ; the 10% off does not feel like any kind of discount.

Ah well. We are still collecting AirMiles and saving up money so we'll get there one way or another, just depends on how much splurging we can do.

Was originally booked at WL but after the 25% room rate discount at AKL came out yesterday morning it was hard to pass up on the savings so I called and made the switch to AKL. And then the 3pm email to Disney Visa cardholders touted an even better 35% discount at AKL so after a first CM wasn't savy enough, I called back and got a great CM who was able to get that 35% offer. Didn't change dates at all just resorts. And reviews of AKL and WL are comprable it was a no brainer to save $1,000.

Glad it worked out for you. There was literally nothing cheaper for us, even with switching resorts. Even the same room at the same resort with a discount was more expensive (by just a couple of bucks) than what I have already locked in. I called about the Disney Visa discount, but they didn't have anything that worked for us either. Again, with 5 people it just makes it more difficult, because a lot of what available was suites or villas -- too rich for my blood!

If you see something you like again I'd just book a second reservation. Then make us your mind and cancel whichever one you don't want for a refund of your deposit. This way you don't lose the opportunity while you debate. But $1,000 more is a lot of money like you said!
Thank you - I will do that! I've been checking...often :crazy2:...this morning. Moving back into the kicking myself phase, lol! The pickings seem even slimmer by the hour. An $1800 suite with 10% off, ummm, no thanks!

I called Disney 3 times yesterday because I kept getting emails about new discounts. None of them applied to my date or Pop. I would have loved to move up to POFQ but my DD and DDF said no. They want to see the new refurbished Pop rooms. Now I am waiting for the AP discounts and hopefully I will get one. If now I will be emailing Disney. It is ridiculous.

I feel this pain DEEP in my pockets! I booked Jan 1-9 @CSR in a Jr suite way back in February because I knew those rooms were so limited. Been sitting on a full price package costing over $10,000 for the 5 of us (all considered Disney adults...) since then and hoping for a discount. NONE of these apply to our reservation. Not SPD, not Disney Visa, not gift of magic, NOTHING. Granted I am prepared to pay full price because that's what we wanted and budgeted for, but seriously? NO discount at all? and 2 different CMs tried ANY resort that had 2 bathrooms (other than ASMu, the kids are just too big for those tiny fold out beds now) and there is NO availability. Really? Just ugh.

Have you tried Saratoga springs, it is on the discount, a two bedroom for my week is only $495 a night, it gives a king, two queens and a queen sleeper. Just a thought.

$200 could've been in reference to a new deposit? They tried this with me yesterday but once I gave my Visa CC info they realized I had already made a deposit on my existing reservation using the card so another deposit wasn't necessary. My experience yesterday varied greatly amoung the 3 CM I talked to. But I did finally get my 35% off room rate at AKL.

I think she was quoting the offer for up to $500 off which is also listed on the DV rewards site too. It wasn't exactly $200 which was exactly what I had seen when I tried that offer. I guess I need to contact DV because I did not receive the 35% off email.

It just seems to me that Disney is trying to appear that they are offering great discounts, (and there are a few of them with the Visa booking option on a few of the deluxes) and they are relying on newbies, or guest who are not very well informed of what is going down to take this bait and run with it. I'm glad that I am informed and aware of their marketing tactics and know when there is a real discount and when there is not.

I think she was quoting the offer for up to $500 off which is also listed on the DV rewards site too. It wasn't exactly $200 which was exactly what I had seen when I tried that offer. I guess I need to contact DV because I did not receive the 35% off email.
As a reminder you can view the Disney Visa pricing at this link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/visa-room-booking/
2 Comments:
1) They are offering ADDITIONAL discounts over the Gift of Magic offer at these 9 resorts: Music, Sports, CBR, CSR, AKL, GF, Yacht, Old Key, Saratoga
2) Even if you are not at one of those 9 resorts they may have DIFFERENT room category and resort availability on the Visa Offer vs. gift of magic.

And almost to add insult to injury I got a UOC in my email this afternoon. No change in pricing for my resorts during March, but it magically opens up a ton availability. Which yes, is nice, but it leaves a somewhat sour taste in my mouth.

Best thing I have found is just book your vacation how you want, when you want and then keep checking back once a week, by phone, for discounts. Last year we stayed at the Contemporary the first week of November and did bounce back for 35% off a 9 day park, 11 night room for this past September. I finally got an added discount which credited me back around $500 a few months before we left. We did bounce back again and got free dining this time. the 35% off was a better deal but I am pretty sure another discount will pop up. We did get to save even more when we booked because they gave us 4 park hopper tickets good for 2 years because we were confined to the Contemporary for 2 days when Irma hit. Bottom line is book it then keep checking.

Have you tried Saratoga springs, it is on the discount, a two bedroom for my week is only $495 a night, it gives a king, two queens and a queen sleeper. Just a thought.

I did...no 2 br villas for Jan 1-9. :( That would be GREAT if it was available! In the mean time, I check different options about 10 times a day! We are staying at CSR now, and it is supposed to be eligible for the discount too. :sad2:

Last edited:
As a reminder you can view the Disney Visa pricing at this link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/visa-room-booking/
2 Comments:
1) They are offering ADDITIONAL discounts over the Gift of Magic offer at these 9 resorts: Music, Sports, CBR, CSR, AKL, GF, Yacht, Old Key, Saratoga
2) Even if you are not at one of those 9 resorts they may have DIFFERENT room category and resort availability on the Visa Offer vs. gift of magic.
OMG thank you! I am calling them tomorrow. Not sure, how they will handle this. I have the same room reserved at AKL, so do you think they can just change the discount code? This would save me an additional $443. I currently have an old reservation at FQ that they are transferring my paid money over to. They say it takes 7-10 days and the reservation can't be canceled til they get the money transferred. I've heard that I can't have three reservations at a time so making a new one isn't an option. Hoping they can just reapply a new code.

OMG thank you! I am calling them tomorrow. Not sure, how they will handle this. I have the same room reserved at AKL, so do you think they can just change the discount code? This would save me an additional $443. I currently have an old reservation at FQ that they are transferring my paid money over to. They say it takes 7-10 days and the reservation can't be canceled til they get the money transferred. I've heard that I can't have three reservations at a time so making a new one isn't an option. Hoping they can just reapply a new code.
Wow...you're really testing the Disney systems there, haha. I think they should be able to apply the new code, but nothing ever surprises me with Disney's IT and booking system. Good Luck! Glad the link helped you find additional potential savings!

There are rooms available at Pop but not for any discounts. I tried numerous other resorts with discounts but they are so much more that it isnt a savings. We could have moved to sports or music and got a $ 500 discount but we really didnt want to stay at either of those...so no discount for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter