Disney Dinning Plan worth the cost?

It is not worth it to us. We did it once during free dining and we had many credits left over - especially snack credits. We typically don't eat 3 meals a day though. We are not breakfast eaters in general, we will sometimes do a character breakfast for fun but if we do then we are typically stuffed until dinner time. Many times we skip breakfast and then eat a table service meal for lunch which means we are still too full for a table service dinner. We might split something from a counter service place. We aren't big snackers in general - we prefer to find a nice bar somewhere to split an appetizer and have some drinks.

I think something to consider if you haven't done a dining plan before is that it is very uncomfortable to walk around the parks (especially when it is really hot) if you are stuffed to the gills! If find that when it is really hot I am not very hungry at all. We would rather NOT have the dining plan and end up paying more out of pocket if for some reason we WERE really hungry during a trip than feel like we have to over-stuff ourselves because we have pre-paid and don't want to "waste" our credits.

Also - we typically do not order dessert at a table service meal. There are so many yummy snack options in the parks that I think are much more interesting, if we feel like something sweet we will get it when we are craving it as a snack. So if we were to do the dining plan, we would be paying for something that we will never use.

We have almost always used the DP until our last trip over Thanksgiving last year. My parents are not big eaters and my fiancee eats more smaller meals. I'm really the only one who eats 3 or meals in a day. I don't have exact numbers, but I know that I saved money mainly because I didn't order dessert at every meal. Also, I didn't feel like I had to get the most expensive meal. I was able to eat more what I wanted at every restaurant. I honestly think it depends on each family's situation.

In the last three trips, we saved 30% over the cost of the DxDDP by paying OOP. The reason we're saving is because we were never able to use the snack credits effectively. We were always taking home piles of snacks.

In the last three trips, we saved 30% over the cost of the DxDDP by paying OOP. The reason we're saving is because we were never able to use the snack credits effectively. We were always taking home piles of snacks.
I kicked around the idea of the deluxe plan but just felt like it would be (1) too much food and (2) too much time. The only way for it to be cost effective in my mind is to eat 1 signature and 1 table service a day, and that's a lot of food before you even take into account the snacks. Furthermore, you'll have to spend at least 3 hours a day at a restaurant, not to mention whatever travel time you have to include. I actually wouldn't mind doing 1 signature a day, but a signature plus another table service would just be too much.

What I have found out is that by paying OOP, we have the flexibility to change on the fly. Meaning, we can get an appetizer and skip a desert. My daughter, who was 10, could get a kids meal if the menu did not suit her tastes or hunger that day. If you have the plan, you are almost "obligated" to take what is included or you lose out right away. We never got through all the snacks and bringing bags of candy home is not ideal, but people were just not hungry for snacks (especially if it is hot out). When both my kids were under 10 years old, we did it as: we did more character meals, and the pricing point was much more realistic for us with 2 kids vs 2 Disney adults.

Again, study the menus and actually select what you would order with the DDP (for each person in your party). Most menus are not so big that people cant have an idea of what they would like to eat. From there, tally up the total costs, include snacks (I use an average as some are more/less than the average) and include the refillable mugs. Then, compare what that cost is to what the DDP is going to run you. Even with that all in mind, it is very hard for me to even break even with 4 adults now using the DDP. I am much better off paying OOP.

For us, 2 adults, 1 kid, the cost is worth it. We do several character meals, so that makes it cost-effective for us. We also like the convenience of having everything paid for in advance. I know people suggest just putting the dining plan amount on gift cards, but I know we'd look at prices more than just enjoying whatever we want to eat. I'd also be more stingy about snacks. It's just the nature of how we (try not to) spend money.

We'll rethink this when DD turns 10 in two years, and we revisit her eating habits.

My biggest issue with the kids menus at Disney (and almost every chain restaurant) is that kids menus are always the same dumbed down garbage. I wish at least some of Disney's more "exotic" TS places offered kids versions of the adult menu. When we travel anywhere else we choose to eat in places that don't serve mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, pizza, hot dogs for kids, because my kid likes real food.

For us, it has been worth it. I really didn't think we were going to come out ahead this past visit, but we did. We do tend to go to the pricier one credit table service restaurants, though. Plus, we are adventurous eaters, so we seek out more interesting quick services than just chicken nuggets or hamburger places, and that usually means higher priced quick service meals.

Edited to add: We are a family of three, and our child is 13.

Also, with leftover credits, we use them to stock up on our favorite Mara items and take home. We drive instead of fly, so this last trip we grabbed some flatbreads for the road so we didn't have to stop for a meal on the way home, and we stocked up on our favorite bakery items. The Mara's brownies freeze and thaw wonderfully well, are large enough for us to share, and we enjoy having them at home whenever we long for a Disney pick me up. If you drive to WDW, you have a good bit of leeway in using leftover credits at the end because you don't have to worry about what will pass security or bag checks or what will do well in luggage.

Last edited:
are you still able to exchange the desert for a soup or salad at the table service restaurants?

I know you can't exchange it for soup at BOG dinner because we asked. They did allow my husband to exchange it for the chef's salad selection of the day (which ended up being the salad trio), so he did that. No idea why you can get the salad in exchange for dessert, but you cannot get a soup.

I'm not sure about the other table service restaurants. Perhaps it varies. Hopefully others can weigh in.

Last edited:
I made an Excel spreadsheet. The cost of the plan each day in one column. Going down the other columns were how much money I think each of us would spend on a TS meal, QS meal, and a snack each day. This involved looking at the menus and guessing what we might order. Looking at the two numbers side by side are really the only way to determine if you're saving or losing money.

We did this as well. We're 2 adults, and at the full cost of the dining plan, there was no way it was worth it for us. We calculated once right after we made ADRs, then again after discounts came out for our trip dates. There was a Stay, Play, Dine, so we calculated again to see if that would be worth it. At the discounted SPD rate, it would have saved us about $100 total. We wanted to try some of the lounges in lieu of some quick service meals, and the lounges don't accept the dining plan.

Ultimately, it wasn't for us, but I think it totally depends on where/how you plan to eat. If you're going to eat at pricier locations, that probably makes it more economical. Or, if the convenience and peace-of-mind factor really make a difference to you, and it will allow you to better enjoy your vacation, then it is also "worth it" even if the cost is a little higher.

We are a family of 5 and the kids love character meals and we love not having to wait in line to meet as many characters. For us we always come out ahead with the dining plan. The kids rarely get soda at home so they love being able to get it with their meals at Disney! DH and I usually use our snack credits at Starbucks and get things to drink we would never drink at home because of the cost.:) When the kids are older and not into characters as much it might not be worth it.

We way overspent last time by using the DDP. This time, we figured it up. And if we got everything, on the DDP, we will save $37.
However, if we are spending OOP, there will be times I will order only appetizers or share with one or both kids, where as I would order what's on the DDp because I had to if on the DDP.
So we are going to go without it this trip.

Make sure you compare how you would have eaten to what you got on the DDP for a true comparison. ;) If you do not get soda or dessert normally, do not factor it in.

Very true. Never thought of that. Youre right, we normally would not get both app and dessert, but we do on the DxDDP. OK...I guess we'll just be calculating our exact loss!!!

We have used free dining and also purchased the plan. I purchased the deluxe plan for our next trip. I calculated the cost and we will save quite a bit of money. It depends on what your goal is. If I did not have the plan I would not order soda or dessert and would not go to many specialty restaurants. I would never order an appetizer. But would I like a soda and dessert and try an appetizer? Yes. Do I like getting the snacks? Yes. So I feel I am getting the full enjoyment and still saving money. But bottom line is if you are on a budget, you can do better without.

We have used free dining and also purchased the plan. I purchased the deluxe plan for our next trip. I calculated the cost and we will save quite a bit of money. It depends on what your goal is. If I did not have the plan I would not order soda or dessert and would not go to many specialty restaurants. I would never order an appetizer. But would I like a soda and dessert and try an appetizer? Yes. Do I like getting the snacks? Yes. So I feel I am getting the full enjoyment and still saving money. But bottom line is if you are on a budget, you can do better without.

You said the magic words IMO. It depends on your goal. WE are the family who does not maximize our park time, so we dont quibble the time spent on dining. If we needed to make the most of our time. In every park the DDP might be a stress inducer. If I wanted to make the most of character dining so we reduced out time in M&G lines the DDP might be worth every penny.

Touring on a budget? No DDP is going to match the savings you will generate by backing off on your purchases and paying all food OOP.

This is why no one can tell you if you should purchace a plan, which plan to purchase if any, or pay OOP, until they know your story: who is going, their ages, the expectation from dining experiences, and how they like to dine.

The only time we felt "stuffed to the gills" on a DDP was many years ago when the cost was $38 for adults, and included beverages, and a dessert even at breakfast so you could make an additional selection, and an appetizer and dessert. That trip we did eat more than we normally would, but boy did we have fun! We are very good at managing our food though, and never waddle from attraction to attraction.

If dining is an important part of your trip, the dxdp is a good choice and it ~can~ save you money. We generally snack for breakfast and have one signature a day.

We always get the plan now. It lets us budget and pay for our meals in advance. When we go without the plan we might budget to buy the same quality of dining oop but when it comes time to take out the wallet we end up making less expensive choices.

Also, we often go during f&w festival and we can parlay those snack credits into $6-8 tasties.

When we compare what we paid for the plan vs what we are last trip's OOP cost, we saved a bit more than 20%.

There have been trip's (with a lot of rained out days) where we came out even or a little behind. But the value of pre-paying makes up more than the difference. It takes so much stress off you to be able to sit down and order without care except for the cost of the tip.

For the two of us, we use the regular plan like this. 1 snack each for breakfast then a adr and qs per day. We never order apps at home so we do the same thing at WDW. We normally do not eat dessert at home but at WDW we do like a treat after our meal. We have found that using our dining plan this way we are normally $50.00 plus or minus but the convenience of the dining plan is worth it for us.

IS disney dinning plan worth the cost?

as someone wrote, it depends how you define "worth"...

for us, it's actually more expensive to pay for the dining plan, yet i still purchase it..

why? because i liked having everything already paid for (other than tips)...

i find that having to shell out $4 for a little snack irks me much more than paying with a 'credit'..

i know it's silly and it's all in my head, but when i shell out actual dollars for very expensive food it destroys my visit..

so i pay in 'fake' credits, which actually cost me more...but the money is already paid and gone so it doesn't disturb our holiday...

call me crazy, but it works for me...

If dining is an important part of your trip, the dxdp is a good choice and it ~can~ save you money. We generally snack for breakfast and have one signature a day.

We always get the plan now. It lets us budget and pay for our meals in advance. When we go without the plan we might budget to buy the same quality of dining oop but when it comes time to take out the wallet we end up making less expensive choices.

Also, we often go during f&w festival and we can parlay those snack credits into $6-8 tasties.

When we compare what we paid for the plan vs what we are last trip's OOP cost, we saved a bit more than 20%.

There have been trip's (with a lot of rained out days) where we came out even or a little behind. But the value of pre-paying makes up more than the difference. It takes so much stress off you to be able to sit down and order without care except for the cost of the tip.
So you have 1 signature and 1 table service a day, correct? That's the only way it makes sense from a financial standpoint. I thought about it for our upcoming trip -- I like the idea of a signature every day -- but those 2 meals a day every day is too time consuming for us.

It is probably only worth it for the convenience factor. It's not typically a money saver for many. Honestly if you have the amount of money to pay for it up front, you have the money to eat as you prefer in the parks. I agree with those who feel they waste money on snacks and desserts. I love dessert, but rarely have room after dinner. I need a little space lol. I'd rather have a glass of wine, so the dining plan doesn't make sense for me. I like to pay as I go better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter