Disney Dining Plan Analysis for Family of 5

That is just a fantastic analysis. We have had similar results paying OOP, only we will throw in a couple signature restaurants and adult beverages whenever we want and still pay 2/3s less than we would if we went with the DDP. While our analysis isn't as in depth, we just purchase gift cards for the amount the DDP would have cost us and charge everything to the magic bands / room and we get even more of an all inclusive feel because we aren't limited by the silly restrictions of the DDP. It's always such a nice surprise to have so much money left over on the gift cards that we can use for other things or our next trip rather than trying to jam 100 snack credits into out suitcases.

I love this idea! I have two trips planned this year and had been pondering the idea of using the DDP for one part of our Christmas trip while we're only staying in a studio. I think I'll use this idea for my summer trip and see where I end up! Trust me, I can use the Disney gift cards any time, I'm a DL local and go there quite frequently. Yeah, those Disney $$ won't go to waste.

The DP doesn't fit in with how we like to eat, period. 3 sit downs take to much time out of the day, there are no savings for us, and it's too much food. The DP doesn't allow for any spontaneity, especially while riding theme park attractions. People do it as a convenience, all meals are planned out, ADR's made, it's easy if you have teenagers who don't stick with you 24/7, and you flat out know your cost. My biggest thing, I just can’t eat that much, and I have a very hard time, leaving food on my plate that will be thrown out. I don't like waste. Thank you for reinforcing what I've found to be true.

Last edited:
I don't have the spreadsheets but I've done back of the envelope math for our past three trips (6 or 7 nights) with similar results to OP.

We are two adults and two teen boys. We eat very much in line with the dining plan - a QS and TS each day and order anything we want. Last trip our TS meals were B&C, Via Napoli, Ohana, R&C, Tusker House and Liberty Tree. We had standard QS meals every day. We snacked a lot but probably not two per person per day. We also would never order dessert for everyone at every table service meal. We saved at least $300 by not using the DP (very conservative estimate). It only works if you consistently order more expensive entrees and/or do a lot of character dining - like 3 or more in a week.

I feel more at ease without the plan. Take Beaches and Cream for example - it would be a loss on the DP no matter what you order. But it was exactly what we wanted on our first day at BC. I don't want to consider a meals value based on what I have prepaid. And it helps that I've done the math and know I'm saving money without the DP. True peace of mind.

I know it benefits some people but would definitely encourage everyone to do a bit of analysis.

Good analysis. To be fair, the Disney Dining Plan isn't necessarily meant to be a significant cost savings. It's offered as a convenience. Naturally, Disney will price it so that they come out ahead in most cases. Those who pay for the dining plan have to understand and be ok with the fact that some of the cost is for the convenience of having their meals pre-paid. Some people prefer it that way for budgeting purposes.

DH and I will generally don't purchase the plan, but we will take advantage of the free dining promotion. By doing this, we knowingly give up any kind of room discount. Because we stay at moderates, its probably breaking even for us. But I will say not having to come up with a rough budget for food costs or worrying about what we are ordering is a nice perk. I see why it is enticing to so many.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter