Disney Dead Zones - what areas can't you understand why Disney doesn't rehab/replace?

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
So Disney is spending tons of money on new Fantasyland, RFID, and apparently Avatarland... and yet there sit Country Bear Jamboree and the Carrousel of Progress.

I'm a fan (sort of) of the Carrousel and I wouldn't say the Bears should be eliminated. I'm just saying, man - for all the billions dumped into the new projects, can't these attractions get a little love?

They're in primo locations in the parks (particularly the Bears) and I can't understand why it's to Disney's advantage to leave them waste away. CBJ is just sort of sad (or at least it was the last time I was there...)

So what is your Disney Dead Zone, and what would you do to fix it?

Please, please, please fix the Yeti. If you never rode EE when the Yeti was working you have no clue how amazing it was. I hope that one day Disney spends whatever it takes to fix him.

The Sounds Dangerous/AI building is a big pointless puzzle to me.

Please, please, please fix the Yeti. If you never rode EE when the Yeti was working you have no clue how amazing it was. I hope that one day Disney spends whatever it takes to fix him.

I would agree with this. What a huge waste of money when you think about how much they spent to get him going originally only to let him be perpetually stick in a disco.

As for the country bears, they just changed that up somewhat not long ago. But I also adore those bears, so I hope your wish never comes true, OP! ;)

CBJ is one if my "escape the heat and crowds" places! The CoP is so nostalgic - love it. Agree about Yeti!!

I just wiki'd it to get more information (this seems very interesting to me).

The yeti has not been in full "A-mode" operation since a few months after the ride's opening, when its framing split, causing significant risk of catastrophic malfunction if it were operated. It currently only operates in the alternative "B-mode", which is limited to a strobe-light effect designed to give the appearance of movement, earning it the nickname "Disco Yeti". The problem was caused by damage to the yeti's concrete base structure, which is unlikely to be repaired until a major refurbishment in the future, because the design limits access to the yeti without major disassembly of the superstructure

I love the Great Movie Ride and it's one of my must-dos in HS but why can't they do something with it? It needs updating badly. And I've never seen Captain EO and was ok with Honey I Shrunk the Audience (that was one of my DH's favorites) but I think that also needs something new.

I have heard rumor and hope its true about Disney bulldozing the backlot area for hopefully a star wars land or carsland.

I also agree the great movie ride could use an update.

I think that the whole carnival section of Dinoland needs to be redone, Im not a fan of the cheap roadside carnival area.

I can't stand the Muppets at HS. I do not know why they are there and it bothers me. I agree with Sounds Dangerous. The Backlot tour area would be a great Carsland.

The carnival area in Dinoland is useless to me as well.

I love the classic country bear jamboree I hope they don't do anything to make it less classic as it is.

I wish the backlot tours and lights motors actions would just be demolished already its just not cutting it anymore i really hope a Carsland or Star Wars land is being planned that would be amazing.

Epcot I would say Captain EO needs an upgrade its never changed and I wish they would update the universe of energy pavilion thats been dull for a while now.

Animal kingdom is okay at the moment hopefully Avatarland will give it a big boost if it ever starts construction. I also might like a Dino land upgrade.

Finally Magic Kingdom I think everything is okay especially with the new fantasyland except stitch's great escape has to be one of the most pointless "rides" there is i don't understand why that is still there please change that.

disney lover at heart

Spaceship Earth could use a major upgrade. The fact that they added like two lines to bring you up to the future does nothing for the fact that the ride ended before computers were in homes! Actually my family loves Epcot but much of it can use updating.

I never went to River Country and I know they can't refub it, but can't they do something with that land?? It seems like they could do SOMETHING there.

Magic Kingdom--GET RID OF STITCH. I've never seen Country Bears (hangs head in shame).

Epcot--PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE update Universe of Energy, Imagination Pavilion (a shell of its former self) and do SOMETHING with the pavilion that had Body Wars in it. Talk about a WASTE OF SPACE!!

DHS--Would LOVE to see update to Great Movie Ride!!! Lights, Motors, Action--GET RID OF IT, as well as the whole Backlot Tour. It isn't any fun since most of it is not relevant anymore. Indy could use help or be closed and Sounds Dangerous is just ridiculous.

Animal Kingdom--I sure wish Betty the Yeti would be functional. Always hated the "cheap carnival" that is Dinoland (but LOVE Dinosaur!).

MK: I wish they would make Tomorrowland Terrace into a year round restaurant, or at least re-purpose the area and do something else with it. Same with the Adventureland Veranda and Tortuga Tavern.

EPCOT: PLEASE put something permanent in the old Wonders of Life Pavilion- and not just special event/convention space. Make it for everyone! Same with the old restaurant building (Odyssey, I think??) between Mexico and Future World. everyone walks past it, and it is just sad that there really isn't anything there, other than the Baby Center, First Aid, and some bathrooms. And a new 3D movie to replace HISTA/Captain EO would be great.

DHS- Gee, so much! Sounds Dangerous building. American Idol. Lights, Motors, Action show. Backlot tour. And the soundstage buildings that are empty.

AK- Camp Minnie-Mickey can go away, but I think that is where Avatatland is going, so they already have a plan. I wish they would have the boat ride again that used to go around Discovery Island, and have stops so people could get out at the different lands.

Epcot: The dead zone between China and Germany in WS ... time for another pavilion - it's been 25 years!

HS: The entire backlot area, from the south edge of Toy Story Mania all the way to Lights Motors Action (which I would keep, only because my kids love it).

MK: Count me in the "don't get it" group for Country Bear Jamboree.

AK: Honestly, the majority of this park is getting long in the tooth - Dinosaur, ITTBAB, Kali, even Festival of the Lion King are dated. This park needs a major overhaul IMO. We skipped it entirely during our stay last week when we realized none of us really cared to go, but we had planned it because we felt "obligated" to spend a day there.

We'll be going back for the first time in six years, so I find this thread very interesting.

I have never really liked Tom Sawyer's Island. I know there's a playground there, but I remember going once and being sorely disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the novelty of The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, but I would think that Disney would use it as a focal point for some sort of interactive attraction. Or, at worst, I wish they would consider a remake of the movie so kids can appreciate the concept.

I miss 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I know it was cheesy, but I remember it being one of my favorite rides when I visited for the first time over forty-one years ago. No one could understand why, either.

I can't believe that The Great Movie Ride hasn't been updated. I love it, but...

I am also surprised to find out that Epcot still has so many 360 movies. It's also surprising that nothing has really been added to the World Showcase for so long.

I loved Captain EO back in the day because it was state-of-the-art. I've been wondering about what our thirteen year-old will think about it now and whether I will still think it's as "cool."

As for Animal Kingdom, we only spent about three hours there during EMH one evening. So, we've decided to head there planning on spending the majority of the day.

I think about 50% of the front of Epcot could use a major updating...but they've got to do a way better job of it than they did with Test Track. I'm hoping that after DHS will hopefully get Cars and SW lands they will give Epcot some much needed love! And I'd love to see Switzerland go into Epcot so we can have a Matterhorn too!

- Epcot Wonders of Life unused since 2006
- Epcot Odyssey restaurant closed since 1994!
- Discovery Island - buildings rotting away since 1999
- River Country - rotting away since 2001
- Pleasure Island mostly abandoned since 2008

Pet peeves...
- AK Dinoland is just low budget State Fair amusement rides
- Not enough to do in AK and HS. We don't even bother to visit AK anymore.
- Epcot needs some fixing - adding Ellen DeGeneres to Universe of Energy really dumbed down that attraction, as did Nemo to the Living Seas. The center of Future World has big buildings, but has never had much in them.

Hi,

just as a note, ive noticed alot of people mention Dinoland USA from AK
the land is actually brillaintly themed with a thought out back story.

i went through Dinoland a few times and thought this looks very undisney but when you read into it its actually quite clever and all makes sence and falls into place.

i think disney should leave things that arent broken alone!
i have seen a grandfather take his young grandkid to the parks and able to experience the things he loved when he was a kid as it was then!.

COP & CBJ should be left alone! i love them just as they are!!

only places that need somthing doing are the things that are like discoyeti as he is now called! should fix that!

i understand refurbs, make sure the animatronics are serviced and well looked after to make sure the experience is as good as it could be.

somtimes things like COP and especially country bears, it is of its time but i love it! and i know others do too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter