Disney deacctivates old Magic Bands if they think you have too many

I wish that mine were only deactivated...Disney completely erased all of my magic bands from my account when I called tech support because my account had partially duplicated itself. Made me very angry because I had decorated all of them, and we didn't have that many attached.

Don't throw your MB's out yet. If the MBs are completely erased from the system, it probably will allow you to attach to a ticket again.

Wasn't sure if this has come up but it happened to me last week.

I had an issue bc I had two rooms under my name at check in. While the CM was on the phone with tech support they deactivated all of my older bands bc they said I had too many and it could confuse the system. He said the battery life makes them still good for approx 2 years but I would have to have them reactivated if I ever wanted to use them again.

I don't think this is a big deal for most but we really put in a lot of effort decorating our last bands so I could see us wanting to use them again and possibly having to have them re activated first.

CM at Wilderness lodge deactivated all of mine and my mom last October saying it would mess up the system as well. I've never had that many problems, but whatever. I went home and activated them all again and when I went back in January I had no problems. I found it annoying to have to reactivate them (I have a bunch of colors but I usually take 1 or 2 extras just in case I want to switch them around or I lose one) and there was absolutely no difference in using them with or without deactivation of older ones.

I've been using MB since the trial period and only ever had one problem (the one I lost on EE and the replacement that I got at the park would not open my resort door) I have 4 or 5 regular and 1 AP and my mom who is on my account has two.

oh jeez I have a gazillion bought during the Christmas season special edition and most are decorated I better figure this out

I have 11 active bands to date. I had an issue opening my door at OKW last month. The CM told me my MB was the issue. But he never said anything about having too many. Now, my MB wasn't the issue to begin with. It was something the CMs do when checking you in at the second of two resorts during a split stay. I always have an issue with the band opening the door at my second resort...and it's the same band used at the first resort.
I wish Disney would give us the option of selecting 'no MB' on each trip. Yes, the batteries are only good for a few years, but if you go several times a year, they build up quickly. And then I can't remember which are the old ones and which are the new ones. Just seems wasteful to me.

Whoops! I just checked and I have 19 on my account plus a couple of cards. I guess I should maybe clean house. :P

If the programming department had thought it through, bands would deactivate automatically at the end of your current stay.

I just went to MDE to check on my bands and a whole bunch of them have already been deactivated. I have never had a problem with opening a door or anything else.

You can call tech support and have them suppress MBs for an upcoming stay so they don't ship and aren't at the resort. At least that's what they told me they could do before out January trip!

It was something the CMs do when checking you in at the second of two resorts during a split stay. I always have an issue with the band opening the door at my second resort...and it's the same band used at the first resort.

Did you already go through the checkout process at the first resort? Was it after official checkout time when you check in to the second resort?

You can link them back into your account. Each MB has an ID number on the underside - just link the number and MBs will again be active in your account.

If their account had become two, and she puts them on the one they created for her, well it might not be possible.

Like I managed to create a second "son" on my account (which I think is disney's fault anyway because his age want updating and he still showed as 8 or 9, and he was 10 when making the reservation and there was no way to edit things) and then realized that the MBs linked to the forever-Disney-child son wouldn't be usable for the now-Disney-adult son. Different accounts on disney's end (though he's just a profile on my account...I'm the only one in the family with a DME account).

we had an issue with our magic bands this last trip where we set up our new ones (the ones you can buy) and they no longer opened our room door. The castmember at the desk deactivated our old ones because thy system was getting bogged down or something and then the bands worked again, but we had 4 bands for each of us (16 bands) and just deactived the 2014 ones.

You can call tech support and have them suppress MBs for an upcoming stay so they don't ship and aren't at the resort. At least that's what they told me they could do before

That is great that you can call but I really don't see why it isn't an online option.

You can call tech support and have them suppress MBs for an upcoming stay so they don't ship and aren't at the resort. At least that's what they told me they could do before out January trip!

Did you already go through the checkout process at the first resort? Was it after official checkout time when you check in to the second resort?

It was after lunchtime when we got to OKW. We ate at GF Cafe at 10:15. Headed over to MK after that and hopped on the bus to OKW. Got there around 12:30 if I remember correctly. I never go through an official checkout....I leave the credit card so it's express checkout. This seems to happen every other time I do a split stay. Drives me nuts. And, to add insult to injury? My dd's MB worked perfectly at OKW, as did her bff's!! But, no CMs touched theirs, just mine. They ask for it, I ha d it over, they tap it on their scanner and tell me I'm all set! Nope. Does t open the door......none of the MBs I bring with me work! They work just fine at the first resort...bit not the second. And they try to tell me it's my MB!

We just bring our current bands and don't select new bands to customize. If you don't customize the new bands are not shipped and if you bring your old band to check in they can be used to open your resort room door. This avoids getting any new bands for those that wish not too.

Simply do nothing online to customize and bring your old ones to check in to avoid getting a generic grey one at the resort.

We had this problem when we checked into Poly a couple of weeks ago; they were having a problem where our current bands could not be programmed (or whatever) to unlock our room door. After about an hour and a half (we got there around 11:30 pm!) of them trying to do whatever they were doing, they just had a CM let us in our room with his key and told us to come back the next day to get it figured out. DH went back the next day and after another two hours, they said the problem was that we had too many active bands (maybe 5 each for three of us?) and they had to deactivate all but the ones we were using. They actually couldn't get mine to work at all and had to deactivate my current one and get me a new one altogether.

The first two or three times we visited while using magic bands, they actually sent us some in the mail and then had another set waiting for us at check in so it isn't our fault that we have quite so many!

It sounds like this is really a first level tech support step to try to troubleshoot problems. Something vaguely band related isn't working? Deactivate them all and reactivate just the current one to help eliminate any possible lingering/stuck requests someplace and ensure that the current one is linked correctly. Problem resolved? Tech support guy says you had too many bands when in reality something wasn't linked properly in the back end or similar. Much like how many times when you call tech support for a computer problem they have "Ask you rebooted your system?" Going in and starting from scratch is a great way to resolve alot of problems that have no real easily identifiable cause.

How do I know which band is which? I can tell some by color but what about the specialty bands I have?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter