Disney cultivating "better customers" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Universal will give them a left hook in a few years.

UO has already begun the process of cultivating guests and reducing AP benefits. The monthly AP button and quarterly magnet were discontinued in January. Room rates skyrocketed around the same time and AP discounts are on very few rooms or dates and are close to rack prices a couple months ago. AP prices have increased significantly. Mine went up I think around 50% in one year. There are no more meal plans and the Mardi Gras tasting lanyard is generally considered a far worse deal than last year. There has been a washcloth shortage at the hotels and housekeeping is still rare and poor quality. Many resort activities haven’t returned and pools are often closed if more than one at a resort.

And the parks are as crowded as ever like at WDW.

From my understanding this has been going on for years. There has been a push to "price out people" and cater to certain people. I tend to remember a large push for the international customer versus the domestic customer about 10 to 15 years ago. They wanted to be a more international vibe going on with the park. We were going to camp there this spring break but when we factored in the cost of the site, trip expenses and all that, it was cheaper to head somewhere else. Especially with a decline in the overall level of experience offered by WDW from what I read.

Personally, I have always looked at the Fort being the "gold standard" when it comes to cost of a campsite. The place where my trailer is now at as a seasonal is around 60 a night. The only thing it doesn't have is sewer due to its rural location. We have water, electric, cable, bathhouse, pool, store, activities, and more. The only differences I can see between the Fort and my seasonal spot is a golf cart, Disney property, and really Trails End. Unfortunately from what has been reported around TE is not as good as it once was. So is that a loss? My campground does not allow golf carts. They have one for the activities director. However, There is no peak or on demand pricing. Holiday or not the price is the same at the camp ground I am at. It's $159 a night for the tent site on during a week in April and the same site during a week in August is 74. I think Disney is trying for the influencer covid camping crowd. The covid camping crowd is good entertainment for the seasoned camper no less. Speaking of which, over the last 2 years, we have camped in some really nice places all over the northeast.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Fort. I just don't see it being as affordable as it once was. This goes back to the whole would they close the Fort down for another DVC property or even another resort. When we did Disney, we paid for the add on packages. We tried a meal plans. We kind of ran the gambit. Looking back on it now, I wonder if we participated in a larger scheme without knowing it. When Disney realized there was more of a demand for certain products, why not push for it up front. The unknowing part, would be my experience who technically out priced people who were already stretching it to get there.

BTW our next trip to Disney will be next year sometime for a marching band trip to Disney for DD's school. It will be interesting to see what is going on at that point.

BTW our next trip to Disney will be next year sometime for a marching band trip to Disney for DD's school. It will be interesting to see what is going on at that point.
[/QUOTE]

We saw our oldest march down Main Street with her high school band in 2017. It was so awesome. Enjoy!

This is probably our last year as passholders. We have two camping trips planned for this year and then we are probably done. Disney wants too much of our money and I think we are ready to spend it elsewhere. We’ve had a great run of 25 years and lots of memories of camping and doing the parks with our sons. $200 for a campsite per night just seems excessive and we haven’t been able to get on many rides since they instituted lightning lanes.

We are trying to Margaritavile RV resort in Auburndale in May. Hoping it becomes our new favorite (even if it looks like it lacks trees and shrubbery).

We are trying to Margaritavile RV resort in Auburndale in May. Hoping it becomes our new favorite (even if it looks like it lacks trees and shrubbery).
We stayed there one night last April (2021) after it first opened just to check it out. As far as landscaping goes, it's going to be really nice after everything matures. There is lots of stuff to do there for old and young. We thought the prices were kind of steep for location but the amenities were worth it. Every time we drive by the place is full so it obviously has something good going for it.

I will echo Stratman50th's assessment of the Now Camp Margaritaville in Auburndale. When we stayed there in Dec. 2021 it was called Cabana Club. On the weekends ie Friday into Sunday the place got very full. The GREEN adjacent to the Main Building and Pool area has an assortment of ADULT and Kid Friendly activities in the evenings as well as some rotating Food Trucks ,
The Resort is built on what was a BlueBerry Farm so it will take some tome for the Flora to grow in . Pool and adjacent Amenities ( Men and Ladies rest rooms, Laundry, and Workout Salon ) were all clean. Two of the 3 dog parks are located near by along with self serve dog wash station.
We will likely go back for 3 or 4 nights this Dec before heading into Ft W. .

I will echo Stratman50th's assessment of the Now Camp Margaritaville in Auburndale. When we stayed there in Dec. 2021 it was called Cabana Club.

Their website says when making a reservation, you must submit a pic of your rig if it's over 10 years old.

I guess they're trying to keep out any riff-raff (even if they will pay the going rate) and cultivate better customers.

I choose to drive past places that have this kind of policy. And my Aliner will only be 8 years old this year.

Bama Ed

I sent them a picture of mine @bama_ed and they didn't have a problem with it.
@FtW Mike, hopefully the knee will be good by next Dec. and we can effect the meet!

Yeah, @Stratman50th, they let YOU in but it's like only "beautiful people" should be seen at our place (thus I would NOT be welcome).

If I want to ever stay at a place with that requirement, I'll contact them in advance and ask them if they're worthy of MY presence since THAT ALONE will lift the COOL Factor :cool2: of their place and merit higher rates for people like @FtW Mike and @Stratman50th. "Send me some documentation and my Minions will be in touch with you if we decide to honor you with our presence".

Becuz my Minions support me sumpin' wonderful!

giphy.gif

Did I mention that all my Minions carry American Express and can afford whatEVER the going rate might be? :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

PS - I might cut @Stratman50th a discount though since I love his avatar pic with the black sunglasses. :cool2:

Last edited:
What Camp Margaritaville DOESN'T want is Cousin Eddie to roll in during the middle of the night and welcome the next morning this way.....

giphy.gif

(Pics on social media, etc.) But hey, he paid the going rate.

And he knows how to use the dump station.

giphy.gif

And he patronizes the local businesses ....

giphy.gif

Camp Margaritaville should WELCOME him and look at it as a win-win-win! Duh! :crazy:

Me

PS - I'll climb down off my soapbox now ......

PPS - glad the Fort doesn't do this kinda stuff. They just jack up the rates and people have to pay.

Last edited:
I'm sending them this pic. Pretty sure this one is a 2014 though.

Not sure I would have dropped the $10-15,000 for a wrap like this, but it is great.

View attachment 658257

j
Jim we saw them come into The Fort on the 23rd of Dec Then went to see them on Christmas day when the SON was supposed to do Cousin Eddie emptying the Tanks. Poor kid got stage fright and backed out

P.S. Lucille was following j=him on some Social Media and there were that thought they would be denied entry

I'm sending them this pic. Pretty sure this one is a 2014 though.

Not sure I would have dropped the $10-15,000 for a wrap like this, but it is great.

View attachment 658257

j
Jim we saw them come into The Fort on the 23rd of Dec Then went to see them on Christmas day when the SON was supposed to do Cousin Eddie emptying the Tanks. Poor kid got stage fright and backed out
Yeah, @Stratman50th, they let YOU in but it's like only "beautiful people" should be seen at our place (thus I would NOT be welcome).

If I want to ever stay at a place with that requirement, I'll contact them in advance and ask them if they're worthy of MY presence since THAT ALONE will lift the COOL Factor :cool2: of their place and merit higher rates for people like @FtW Mike and @Stratman50th. "Send me some documentation and my Minions will be in touch with you if we decide to honor you with our presence".

Becuz my Minions support me sumpin' wonderful!

giphy.gif

Did I mention that all my Minions carry American Express and can afford whatEVER the going rate might be? :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

PS - I might cut @Stratman50th a discount though since I love his avatar pic with the black sunglasses. :cool2:
Ed I would recommend you stay behind the camera and have your lovely BRIDE stand next to the A Liner . This way they will be sure to let you in out of Pity for her. Works for us everytime.
Did my time in tents as well as wrapped in a poncho in a shallow hole, Lucille never did. Her idea of roughing it , the hotel has basic cable and a coffee shop for dining.

I sent them a picture of mine @bama_ed and they didn't have a problem with it.
@FtW Mike, hopefully the knee will be good by next Dec. and we can effect the meet!
Don they didn't ask for a picture of mine. Our anticipated stay this year will be 12 Dec till the 16th. Taking time to hit Publix and WallyWorld and a few Meetings of the Friends of Bill W. I found last year.
Lucille surgery slated for April 15th and at home rehab starts that day.

My neighbor across from our site Ed. Not as nice as an A-Liner but acceptable I thought.
View attachment 658283

Aliner makes that little travel trailer, Don. It's called an Ascape.

https://aliner.com/campers/ascape-plus/

Has a 2,500# gross vehicle weight rating (1,600# empty). So that cross-over vehicle in front could probably tow it just fine.

Looking at the floorplan, though, sleeping three in there must be cozy! :scared:

Ed

PS - the Aliner blog says they suspended the production of 2022 Ascape trailers to streamline their Aliner product offerings to meet demand. Don't know what they'll do in 2023 going forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter