• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

disney cruise out of Miami-logistics

Fly into Orlando and rent a car, drive to Miami after your WDW days (3.5 hour drive if traffic is good). Turn in the car at the port (not sure which companies are there) and shuttle to the MIA or FLL airport when the cruise is over.

At this point it would be a one way rental to drive down from WDW to Miami. Depending on what time you go its about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

In the future, the Brightline trains from Orlando International to Miami will be your fastest option as the port will have its own stop and you wont have to worry about renting and driving yourself.

The major rental car agencies provide port shuttles from their Miami locations, either at the MIA airport car rental center (including Alamo, Enterprise, and National which I have used, perhaps others) or a downtown Miami rental office (Budget and Hertz, perhaps others). In either case, they will provide shuttle service from the drop off location to the port. Check with the rental companies for applicable service, since Covid had changed things up for a time.

At this point it would be a one way rental to drive down from WDW to Miami. Depending on what time you go its about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

In the future, the Brightline trains from Orlando International to Miami will be your fastest option as the port will have its own stop and you wont have to worry about renting and driving yourself.
When will this be coming? We often want to sail the Dream and then hit the parks or vice-versa
but the drive and/or rental car prices stop me. I really miss the Dream at Port Canaveral. Thx!

When will this be coming? We often want to sail the Dream and then hit the parks or vice-versa
but the drive and/or rental car prices stop me. I really miss the Dream at Port Canaveral. Thx!
Yes this!!! Nervous something would delay us on that drive. How reliable would Brighton’s be?

Also, what about the tolls? I know some of the booths are unmanned
Most rental cars you can pay for a toll pass. It’s about $25 from Orlando to Miami if you don’t use the speed lanes once in Miami as they are on demand pricing and can get quite expensive in bad traffic. Or you can usually get a sun pass in Publix and register it.

We're doing this in February. Spending 3 days in WDW then cruising out of Miami.

Might sound crazy, but we're flying from MCO-MIA the morning of the cruise. (I know, I know!). It's just 2 of us and we have a direct flight on Delta that puts us in the Miami Airport at 8:10AM. If, god forbid, the flight is cancelled then we have enough time to grab a car rental and drive ourselves.

I'm also considering booking a direct Southwest flight that gets us into FLL at 10AM. Mainly as a backup and we can cancel with no penalty up until 10 minutes before the flight leaves.

It'll be a little stressful and I know doing this isn't for everyone, but it's how we decided to do both.

We're doing this in February. Spending 3 days in WDW then cruising out of Miami.

Might sound crazy, but we're flying from MCO-MIA the morning of the cruise. (I know, I know!). It's just 2 of us and we have a direct flight on Delta that puts us in the Miami Airport at 8:10AM. If, god forbid, the flight is cancelled then we have enough time to grab a car rental and drive ourselves.

I'm also considering booking a direct Southwest flight that gets us into FLL at 10AM. Mainly as a backup and we can cancel with no penalty up until 10 minutes before the flight leaves.

It'll be a little stressful and I know doing this isn't for everyone, but it's how we decided to do both.
I have had friends who did that in the past. They said that they used CC points to book because it was so few flying miles so they basically paid nothing for the flights.

Some corrections:

No rental car dropoff at PortMiami. You'll drop off at a car rental location offsite and make your way to the port.

Not all car rental companies have free shuttles (or any shuttles) to the port from the airport. Check first.

If you use toll-by-plate, you'll be at the mercy of the rental car company's toll collection policy, which usually means you pay for the tolls AND a convenience fee.

We dropped our Alamo car off at MIA Rental Car Center. They provided a free shuttle to the port but you had to show your Alamo receipt
This may havre since changed. It was a few years before covid hit.

They may have restarted, but last January and April we could not find an agency that offered a free shuttle. Alamo and Enterprise did before Covid.

Amtrak runs from Kissimmee to MIA. It is not an express train, but will get you there without a rental car.

I am going to give the answer that is the easiest way. Forget going to the park first. Just fly to FLL or MIA. No matter how tempting as it is to utilize that flight to FL. Enjoy the cruise. But I do understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter