Disney Cruise Line Port Canaveral Terminal 8 Scheduled for 5-Month Shutdown in 2020

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
Source https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...nal-8-scheduled-for-5-month-shutdown-in-2020/

Documents published by Port Canaveral ahead of Wednesday’s board of commission meeting reveal Disney Cruise Line’s terminal, Cruise Terminal 8 (CT8) will be shutdown from June 2020 to the end of October 2020. This will NOT impact any sailings as Disney and Port Canaveral have an agreement in place to utilize Cruise Terminal 10 (CT10).

Disney and the port previously agreed to utilize Cruise Terminal 10 (CT10), which is located next to CT8, as a substitute cruise terminal for embarkation and debarkation during the 5-month shutdown.

Often, work on CT8 such as paining and roof repair has been done on non-cruise days to avoid impacting passengers. However, due to the overall scope of the renovation project, intermittent work is not feasible within the timeframe leading up to the arrival of the Disney Wish in early-2022. The terminal shutdown will allow the contractor to work on the most disruptive activities such as demolition, piles, installation of a new curtain wall in the existing building, seating replacement, ticket counters removal, IT infrastructure replacement, the extension of the drop-off canopy and structural steel installation.

On Wednesday, December 11th, commissioners will vote to approve an agenda item for early works for the cruise terminal 8 improvements project.

The project team has met several times to discuss design documents submittals, provide status and present the work plan to Disney Cruise Line and as part of those meeting it was agreed to shutdown cruise terminal 8 from June 2020 to the end of October 2020. This period will allow the contractor to perform the most disruptive activities like demolition, piles, installation of a new curtain wall in the existing building, seating replacement, ticket counters removal, IT infrastructure replacement, the extension of the drop-off canopy and structural steel installation. To be able to substantially complete all these activities by the end of October 2020, the contractor will need to start the shop drawings, submittals and fabrication process to receive the materials on time for the shutdown period. The cost authorized as early works does not include any labor other than shop drawings. All construction labor will be presented in a later meeting with the project GMP .

I'm really bummed about this. We have three cruises booked for that time frame (this is the year of the cruise). We are traveling with friends who have never sailed DCL before and 2 of the cruises are concierge. Although it will certainly not ruin our cruise, it will not be the full Disney magic immersion from the time you set foot in the terminal (which I love).

I get that Kathi…..I always want our first timers traveling with us to get the full Disney experience but I have learned that is not always possible. Recently our first timers with us sailed out of Quebec and then again out of NY and I found myself saying...but you should see the terminal in Port Canaveral!!! It didn't diminish their excitement or experience at all. I guess what they don't know they are missing plays a part in that.

I am curious to see what the terminals look like after the refurbishment!

MJ

Really stupid and trivial question but for the first time cruiser, does that mean no walking through the Mickey head to get to the ship? Assuming 10 won't be exclusive to Disney so it will be more like Miami with a few temporary/moveable signs?

It makes sense to do it now as part of the downtime would include the suspected Dream drydock.

Really stupid and trivial question but for the first time cruiser, does that mean no walking through the Mickey head to get to the ship? Assuming 10 won't be exclusive to Disney so it will be more like Miami with a few temporary/moveable signs?

Terminal 10 is getting some upgrades also, but as I think it will be shared with other cruise lines there may not be Mickey ears.

Is it possible to get some insight as to what this means for the concierge boarding process? I assume there would be no separate sitting area but is there expected to be a separate check in line? Thank you!

It makes sense to do it now as part of the downtime would include the suspected Dream drydock.

Terminal 10 is getting some upgrades also, but as I think it will be shared with other cruise lines there may not be Mickey ears.

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that. As first time cruisers I was looking forward to that but I am all about expectations and can set them accordingly so no big deal.

I guess now I need to do some research and see when the suspected dry dock could be since we are on the Dream in July 2020.

Is it possible to get some insight as to what this means for the concierge boarding process? I assume there would be no separate sitting area but is there expected to be a separate check in line? Thank you!

I cannot speak to what they might do in PC, but Miami and Vancouver both have concierge check-in areas.

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that. As first time cruisers I was looking forward to that but I am all about expectations and can set them accordingly so no big deal.

I guess now I need to do some research and see when the suspected dry dock could be since we are on the Dream in July 2020.

There is currently a gap in her schedule that covers most of October 2020.

This is correct. The mickey head entrance is only at Terminal 8.

I have previously sailed out of Terminal 10 on Norwegian. The terminal itself is actually quite nice and has had lots of refurbishments on the inside recently however the outside of the terminal is lacking. It's very similar to sailing out of Miami honestly with the movable signs and what not as Norwegian will still be sharing the terminal on the days that Disney isn't using it.

Side Note: Parking in terminal 10 is... terrible compared to terminal 8. Its a long walk up a ramp to even get to the elevators.

oh bummer. we're sailing in August. I like the terminal with how disneyfied it is. Makes you feel like you're already on the ship.

This is correct. The mickey head entrance is only at Terminal 8.

I have previously sailed out of Terminal 10 on Norwegian. The terminal itself is actually quite nice and has had lots of refurbishments on the inside recently however the outside of the terminal is lacking. It's very similar to sailing out of Miami honestly with the movable signs and what not as Norwegian will still be sharing the terminal on the days that Disney isn't using it.

Side Note: Parking in terminal 10 is... terrible compared to terminal 8. Its a long walk up a ramp to even get to the elevators.
Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of (parking). This will be our third cruise out of PC but the first time we'll be parking at the port......:sad2:

Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of (parking). This will be our third cruise out of PC but the first time we'll be parking at the port......:sad2:

Honestly... Its such a pain that if you found a shuttle service you like and can park somewhere else for cheaper, its worthwhile. Unlike terminal 8, there is a really really long ramp up to the actual parking structure. You have to walk up the ramp in order to even get to the elevators and when we were there, the elevator barely worked. Took us probably 10 - 15 minutes to get to the car from the terminal.

Alternately, have someone drop everyone and all the luggage off at the front first before going to park.

I looked at NCL's schedule - they do not have any ships out of Port Canaveral from June through October. Looks like DCL will have it to themselves. Hopefully they add some Disney touches to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter