• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney credit card / membership?

traveler_t

Earning My Ears
We have two vacations planned for next year in Disney resorts and already paid deposit for them in regular credit card. Would we save money by applying to some Disney specific credit card / membership (not sure what are the options) and asking them to charge the rest of the amount on it? we'll also use it for dining etc. I'm not sure if we'll have many Disney vacations after this year so asking if it is worth it just for too vacations.

You don’t save any money using a Disney card to charge your trip unless you’re booking under a Disney Visa Discount offer and it sounds like you’ve already booked. Put the remaining charges on your normal credit card so the rewards are usable outside of the Disney ecosystem. You can get an introductory bonus on the Disney credit card but there are better credit card bonuses out there if that’s what you’re after.

Disney Visa’s get some merchandise and limited dining discounts, you can Google the details. You don’t need the credit card, you can get a free Disney Visa Debit Card if you have a Chase bank account.

Would we save money by applying to some Disney specific credit card / membership (not sure what are the options) and asking them to charge the rest of the amount on it?
As PP mentions, there is no discount or savings just for using the Disney Chase Visa (debit or credit cards). You would earn "points" for the charges -- 1% or 2% depending on which card -- but you might have a better rewards card already. So it's entirely up to you. I do have a Disney Visa card and enjoy having the rewards designated for Disney; other folks prefer a higher-yield reward card with more generalized use of the rewards.

The Disney credit or debit cards do have some dining or shopping discounts. You can learn more about it HERE to decide what might be best for you.

I have the free Disney Visa that I use for any potential resort room discounts. It's not the best card for rewards, there are plenty of others out there that have higher percentages for travel expenses. If it won't hurt your credit score to open a new card, and you opt for the free version, it might be a good option for you. It does also offer some merchandise discounts at some places (10%) and also a few restaurants. Definitely check out the site @lanejudy mentioned.

I got the free card for the signup bonus, I think it was $150-$200 statement credit after spending X in the first 3 months and I used it for a discount on the rhino tour (did use it for the starlight safari but it was canceled). I personally use a regular cash back card that gives me 3% back on groceries and dining anywhere. The disney card gives discounts at specific dining and I think it’s only some of the pricier restaurants. Disney bucks are only good for disney but cash back is accepted everywhere you want to be.

There are multiple discounts at restaurants and Disney shops (both parks and DCL) if you use the Disney Visa card to pay for them specifically, but you typically do NOT get anything for room/tickets/cruise fare for using a Disney Visa card. And the Disney Visa has relatively poor rewards. Costco's Visa has a 3% reward on travel, and is your best bet here --- if you are a Costco member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter