Disney Club-worth it?

commecicommeca

Earning My Ears
My mother and I are leaving for Disney next Saturday and she just found out that she can get a $10 discount on Disney Club Membership through her work. I looked on Disney.com but the information they have is rather shabby. What I need to know is will it help us save money on THIS trip? We don't go to Disney much, maybe every 5 years or even more, we don't like Disney merchandise and don't plan to buy any souvenirs (I say that now from the safety of my room hehehe), I'm 17 and the youngest in my family, so those kiddy movies you can save on are useless to us, we just want to have a nice time on vacation, eat good food, and spend as little money as possible. What kind of discounts can we hope to see from this membership and will it kick in soon enough to be used on this vacation?

Probably not and probably not. It took a while for me to get my card - unless you can get it at the resort. Unless you are going to Disney with a family or shop at the Disney Store for $300 a year, you should save your money.

Don't waste your money...........I just joined ( about a week ago ) got my packet yesterday and am now cancelling for a refund. I made a res at PO and got the disney brochure price ( no discount at all ) Along with that, I got a message about when the discounts are good. Made another res at AKL and they only charged me $50 MORE than the brochure. Worthless!!!!!!!!
Made a res thru dream vacations at the Swan and saved $1000 ( now thats great and free ) I do belong to Entertainment. Also got far deeper discounts on passes there. Try AAA, AMEX, entertainment.....anything but DC
They simply don't do anything that you can't do better somewhere else.

Thanks for the insite Cworld14. I was debating about the DC too. But from what you stated, I guess I'll stick to the entertainment book and AAA.

Misty :earsgirl:

It was worth it for us to get the DC. Too bad you didn't know about it sooner, it might have saved you in the long run. I was able to save $33 on tickets to see the Broadway - Beauty and the Beast and we're saving about $50 with our car rental in Disney. I've used it before in DD when shopping for souvenirs and we plan to use it at Fantasia golf. I'm sure there will be other ways to use it at WDW and over the next year. It's probably not for everyone but I've already saved more than it cost and we don't go to WDW until June!

I saw Disney club cards on Ebay starting at $3.00 for an opening bid (from a McDonald's employee). My girlfriend bid on one just for the 10% in store discount. I have never been asked for ID when I've used mine, but our does have our name on it. Good way to tr it out without spending the $29.95 or so.

Last year, I was able to save 20% on 2 Rooms (5 nights) at Port Orleans, plus 10% (5%?) on 4 adult passes, plus 15% on souveniors at Downtown Disney.

Total savings last year was over $500. But, this was for the last week in August. The Disney Club has blackout dates on resort discounts, so depending on when you are going, this could be a deal, or not affect the rate at all.

This year, I'm saving (is it 5 or 10%) on 2 Length of Stay passes. :bounce: I got the best rates I've ever gotten for a mid-August visit from using the codes from Mousesavers . The normal rate is $149, but with the code, the rated dropped to just $89 for a moderate resort.:pinkbounce

For the 'major' investment of just $30, the benefits seem to be worth it, IMHO.:pinkbounc

I made reservations for the Caribean two months ago for Oct. 5-18:bounce: for two adults and it was going to cost me 3246.24. A month later i found out about the Disney Club and so I called in and bought it. They gave me my number right over the phone so I could start using my card right away. I called the reservation office back and she gave me 50 disney dollars. Well then (within 2/3 weeks) I got my package WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you go during the value season you get 20% off. So we thought we would change our plans and go in November instead. But wait it gets better. I called the Disney Club up and they have a special right now and so I got a big discount off our vacation. Get this - without changing dates (we are still going in October) my price went from 3246.24 to 2706.74 and all I did was switch hotels to the Port Orleans Riverside. That is a difference of over 500.00, plus I still get the 50.00 in disney dollars. :bounce: Plus I get all the discounts while I am there like15% off Miniature Golf, 10% off at the Disney Store, Disney Online or the Disney Catalog. I have already gotton 550.00 off my package. Plus for the next 12 months I get up to 50% off at hotels and resorts around the US. I am telling you The Disney Club was the way to go all I had to do was pay the 29.95 (normally 39.95, my husband gets a 10 corporate discount). I will trade 30 dollars for 550 dollars any day.:pinkbounc :bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce:

Carol & Mike

All Stars Sports 94
All Stars Music 97
Port Orleans Riverside 01

There are very few benefits any more in the Disney Club that you can't get anyway. You can get discounted tickets from reputable on-line vendors or AAA. You can get discounted rooms using the codes on the above site or with AAA or American Express. The only stores you save the 10% on at WDW are in Downtown Disney - and you can use AAA and AE there too! They have pretty much gutted the old MKC in my opinion. My closest Disney Store in Macon closed so I don't even get that benefit anymore!

Add me to the list of people who say "Don't bother." Got a rate of $293 a night for a 1 bdrm OKW villa thru Disney Club. However, after I found this site, I called back using a code I found on mousesavers.com and was able to book same room for $215 a night.

By *not* using the card, I saved $468.

As far as discount theme park tickets, you can get the same discount through floridaorlandotickets.com that are offered through disney.

As far as rental cars go, I surfed the web and was able to book a Pontiac Grand Am (Group C) car with Avis' Florida specials rates (which are clearly advertised on the Avis.com home page) for $148.95 a week ($188.95 with taxes, etc.). The Disney Club rate was not even close. And I checked both National and Avis.

I personally think the DC is a way of fooling us into thinking we're saving a lot of money. But the truth of the matter is that comparable or better deals exist without it.

Good luck! Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter