Disney Changes Vaccination Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denmark just banned the vaccinations for children under 18 - BANNED. Going forward, then only children under 18 who can get a vax will require a medical necessity. Whether DCL likes it or not, at this point they're fighting an uphill battle. Also, the 11th circuit court of appeals has yet to rule on the Florida law that doesn't allow cruises to discriminate against people based on vaccine status. Once they release the ruling, things will change quickly at least out of Florida.
I was actually on the Magic in Denmark when that news came out. Copenhagen is a big embarkation port for lots of cruiselines.

I think that most people are fine with individuals taking precautions based on their individual risks. Or even people taking precautions based on the fact that they are risk averse in general! My policy is “you do you”. What I think many people have an issue with is companies making decisions that not only don’t align with the CDC but don’t align with science in general. Or making arbitrary “red lines” whether that be age or vaccination status that don’t seem to have any rationale behind it.

Pretty much this!

Just curios what type of accommodations require you to book a year in advance?

Our favorite VBRO homes in Hawaii or the Oregon coast book out more than a year in advance. So did the hotel we wanted in Rome this past June if we wanted a room that could sleep four. It isn't unusual for us to find our desired accommodations are gone if we wait to book only a few months out.

I just spent three weeks in Europe. I booked the cruise in April and Didn't start planning the land portion to July. The trip turned out great. I don't think it takes months, years, or even weeks to plan a great vacation. On cruises and the ABD tours you do there really isn't that much planning. Most of it is done for you. If it's something like a Galapagos tour or limited river cruise that's going to sell out I get it, but that's not the case with your basic cruise.
You are right that it's not a necessity. It's just a "nice to have" for nerds like me. I really like to understand my options at each place I am visit to maximize our time there. Our trip to Italy and Greece this year was absolutely amazing and ran really smooth. It would have worked fine without the extensive planning, but I have no doubt that it contributed to how well things worked. We did a lot or private tours and excursions too, which can sell out if you try to book last minute. I also like to read history books or other resources to try to get an in-depth understanding of the place I am vising, which often include the local culture, art, food, geology etc. I still plan on putting together some tips for Rome and Greece travelers for next year's cruisers, because I really tapped into some great resources before we went that enriched the experience.

By the way - we still take some impulsive last minute trips, but they are usually to familiar places. I usually wouldn't do that for the big trips.

Last edited:
Japan is amazing. I would go in a heartbeat. Not silly at all imo. I’d love to be in Japan.
Ah, perhaps you misunderstood me. Japan is not silly. Japan is being silly with their current rules against foreign visitors. If you want to go to Japan right now, you have to 1) be from a certain set of countries, 2) get a visa because the visa waivers are currently not allowed, 3) hire a Japanese travel agency or tour guide, 4) plan your exact itinerary in advance, and 4) have a Japanese chaperone follow you around everywhere you go to make sure that you follow the rules because, after all, you're a foreigner and you can't be expected to follow the rules without a Japanese chaperone.

It's absolutely ridiculous and, frankly, rather insulting.

And as much as I love traveling to Japan, I really would avoid the summer, if you can. It's very muggy and uncomfortable outside and absolutely freezing inside because they blast the aircons. And, a lot of Japanese people travel in the summer, so tourist attractions can be rather crowded (though not worse than Golden Week or sakura season, I suppose). On the plus side, there are a lot of festivals in the summer! And if you like the background noise of cicadas, there's plenty of that, too.

We're way too off topic now. No more Japan! :)

Last edited:

Our favorite VBRO homes in Hawaii or the Oregon coast book out more than a year in advance. So did the hotel we wanted in Rome this past June if we wanted a room that could sleep four. It isn't unusual for us to find our desired accommodations are gone if we wait to book only a few months out.

While yes this is true, there are far more that don’t book that far out than do.

Ah, perhaps you misunderstood me. Japan is not silly. Japan is being silly with their current rules against foreign visitors. If you want to go to Japan right now, you have to 1) be from a certain set of countries, 2) get a visa because the visa waivers are currently not allowed, 3) hire a Japanese travel agency or tour guide, 4) plan your exact itinerary in advance, and 4) have a Japanese chaperone follow you around everywhere you go to make sure that you follow the rules because, after all, you're a foreigner and you can't be expected to follow the rules without a Japanese chaperone.

It's absolutely ridiculous and, frankly, rather insulting.

And as much as I love traveling to Japan, I really would avoid the summer, if you can. It's very muggy and uncomfortable outside and absolutely freezing inside because they blast the aircons. And, a lot of Japanese people travel in the summer, so tourist attractions can be rather crowded (though not worse then Golden Week or sakura season, I suppose). On the plus side, there are a lot of festivals in the summer! And if you like the background noise of cicadas, there's plenty of that, too.

We're way too off topic now. No more Japan! :)
💯. Okay yeah k agree we enjoy fall

You are right that it's not a necessity. It's just a "nice to have" for nerds like me. I really like to understand my options at each place I am visit to maximize our time there. Our trip to Italy and Greece this year was absolutely amazing and ran really smooth. It would have worked fine without the extensive planning, but I have no doubt that it contributed to how well things worked. We did a lot or private tours and excursions too, which can sell out if you try to book last minute. I also like to read history books or other resources to try to get an in-depth understanding of the place I am vising, which often include the local culture, art, food, geology etc. I still plan on putting together some tips for Rome and Greece travelers for next year's cruisers, because I really tapped into some great resources before we went that enriched the experience.

By the way - we still take some impulsive last minute trips, but they are usually to familiar places. I usually wouldn't do that for the big trips.
Does that really take a year?

Does that really take a year?

Yes, in some cases. Could I cram it into a shorter period? Of course. But it's something I enjoy and I would prefer to do it at my leisure. The amount of planning I put into some trips would be stressful instead of enjoyable if I shortened it too much. Others wouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited:
As much as I am for loosening restrictions, to be fair, comparing bookings to the same time period in 2019 is absurd for obvious reasons.

whether 2019 is a good comparison or not, the rules loosening will help increase bookings. Once testing is gone it will be even better. While many on this board are willing to jump through the hoops to cruise many are not and don't even want to deal with it so they end up choosing other vacations.

Very interesting release by Carnival here. Not sure Disney is going to be able to keep all their requirements in place from a financial standpoint. They may be at a big competitive disadvantage soon.

https://carnival-news.com/2022/08/1...-comparison-after-covid-protocols-simplified/

Not surprised at all, as they've opened their customer base widely. Not all folks wanted to get vaccinated, and many more didn't want to get their kids vaccinated. Now all those people are looking to book cruises - and good for them!

We've avoided DCL since they enacted the 5-12 vaxx rule and know many other parents in the same situation. Now that my entire family is welcome aboard, we'll be searching for some itineraries! I'm sure there are a lot of happy people out there, and we'll be looking forward to some busy ships in the not too distant future, especially when they drop the testing requirement.

As much as I am for loosening restrictions, to be fair, comparing bookings to the same time period in 2019 is absurd for obvious reasons.
I think the point is they saw a tremendous increase in bookings immediately after lowering restrictions. It is going to be hard for Disney to compete for customers if their competitors all have a much easier experience.

I know I’m very close to canceling my Wish Cruise for Spring Break next year and just booking RC because I’m tired of trying to predict what Disney will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter