Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

I'm torn because on one hand I want Disney to continue to invest in these types of "out-of-the-box" creative adventures. But on the other hand I think the project was a little ambitious for this moment in time, and the uncertain economic climate will certainly keep bookings low.
I agree with you and will add the climate that is WDW. It's not exactly been getting rave reviews with all the changes (meaning WDW but actually also star cruiser itself). It's a lot to spend to then have your other park days be filled with what it has been (genie+/LL, park reservations, just getting tickets and their costs, etc).

I think it still might have slowed eventually with bookings but would have probably fared better had it opened before the pandemic hit rather than 2 years into it.

My son (13) did Cruiser earlier this month with my mom and husband, and he said that it was his favorite Disney experience ever. Considering he has also done an AbD escape and several VIP tours, this is high praise indeed. My mom has already launched a campaign to go back as a family.

I wouldn't think that much about the lack of pools. They were so busy with activities that they wouldn't have had time to relax in a pool.

I for one would love to go but will never be able to because of the price. I think it's a bit odd that there wasn't more forward thinking on this. One, that most people would just love to stay at a Star Wars themed hotel in general and two, that you could make the roleplay experience voluntary and an additional add on pretty easily with scheduled events in non-public places and I don't know, special pins.

I will never understand not including a pool though.

The role play experience *is* completely voluntary, but to your point, I'm not sure why you'd go and spend that much money if you don't want to participate.

I'm torn because on one hand I want Disney to continue to invest in these types of "out-of-the-box" creative adventures. But on the other hand I think the project was a little ambitious for this moment in time, and the uncertain economic climate will certainly keep bookings low.

I don't know that it was too ambitious for the public, Disney just doesn't have the creative drive to execute it.

We took our cruise on the Halcyon 12/30 - 1/1 and had a great time! They even did a special New Years eve celebration. I was able to just let my kids go (9 and 11) as they joined the First Order and had no worries. We dressed the part and the only way I can describe it is "Worth every penny".

Can’t justify the cost, would love to stay at a Star Wars themed hotel, but I’m not willing to fork out what they want for it.

Sounds like a lot of other people feel the same way

I would likely spring for it if they offered an AP discount. My youngest would love it, I think. Just hard to justify the cost for two nights.

In my eyes I think these summer cancellations of sailings of the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser are a sign that the resort is failing due to a low audience. Because as I have mentioned in many threads about the Galactic Starcruiser Disney doesn't even promote it at all with NO commercials and I think in a year they will close the Galactic Starcruiser and remodel it into a regular hotel based on Star Wars. Because Disney has had smart ideas with the Animal Kingdom Lodge where you can see animals from your room window and turning some rooms of Port Orleans Resort into Princess themed rooms. But when they created Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser the audience that was given the big draw was Star Wars fans and really big Star Wars fans who wished that they live the life of a Star Wars character. But I think they copied the Grey Wolf Lodge chain of hotels and decided to follow suit with the same format but with Star Wars themed stuff. But I think if they lowered the prices of the voyages this place could be more successful rather than having people pay the expensive price for a voyage. Because I can see this as a prize on a game show like Wheel Of Fortune and if Wheel Of Fortune did Star Wars Week if it existed this would be the big prize for Wheel Watchers Club members in a sweepstakes. But as I also mentioned before I wouldn't be surprised if Disneyland were to have a Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser of their own too. But had they marketed it in the correct way Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser would attract more people to stay there. But I think Disney will focus next on Marvel more because other than Star Wars Marvel is number one for Disney. But hopefully with the debut of The Mandalorian Season 3 in March the resort will be promoted more and maybe they will add Mandalorian themed activities and a special voyage will also be added as well. Will it be true? Only time will tell
Dodger

I've said it before ... that Disney should have just built a Star Wars themed 'Adventurers Club' and charged a cover price as well as make a killing on the drinks. They could change some of the Starcruiser over to this, but what do you do with all the guest rooms as the building seemed planned around a cruise ship design
I thought they already had this with Oga's. I pay $135 as a cover charge then an overpriced amount for so so drinks and food.

I think that over time the Starcruiser will develop a varied menu of experiences. The current program will probably be dropped to at most 2X/week, and the rest of the time will be "day excursions", quite possibly leaving from Batuu to visit the ship (which guarantees that you have also already purchased a park ticket.) I can also see private events being held there, just for the theming.

I don't think that the hotel room aspect will go away entirely, but I can see them being used less often, because day excursions and tours will make more money over time than 2-night trips that are not selling.

Since the experience depends on guests interacting with story elements, it was never going to go on forever without changes being made. Repeat business depends on people getting a different experience the next time they go. So they were always going to need to make periodic changes and updates. It makes sense to do it during a period when their bookings were tapering off.

It was doomed from the start at that price point, I'm sure it's a great experience and most everyone who has done it has had rave reviews however that's not the problem. You can see even with those rave reviews there having trouble filling the ship because there only so many die hard star wars/sci fi fans. They need to figure out a way to attract the non star wars people which is going to be a tough task if not impossible. You find people that are either 100% in on the experience or 100% out there really isn't to many in-betweens. Disney needs to find the middle people to give it a try

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter